Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Wren - 1382 Danforth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

The Wren - 1382 Danforth

Post by TwoPint »

There's a Liquor Licence Application in the window of 1382 Danforth, a few doors east of Sauce. It says it's for The Wren. Has anybody heard anything about it?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Rumour on Chowhound is that it's an Irish pub.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The sign has gone up. Not a pub, it's a "southern style" food joint. There will be taps, all of which will be craft.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The sister of the dude who is opening it is a bartender here at The Ship. I think this is going to be a very cool place!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I overheard that it will open in the next week or two.

TMex

Post by TMex »

It is opened last night. Limited hours to start and cash only. You can find details on twitter.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Popped in last night. Nice, concise 12 tap list covering good local options (Twice as Mad Tom, RPA, Watermelon Wheat, etc...)

Food was delicious, simple southwestern grub in good size portions. Had the pulled chicken sloppy joe with a smoked corn relish, which was delightfully smoky and had some warming heat. Partner had the pulled pork chimichanga, with guac and black beans. All very nice. Nothing fancy but good, tasty food.

Space is unique, western vibe. Cool spot for the East enders, relaxed and friendly.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Met up with a close friend there last night. As always, the tap selection had a number of good options. The menu is straightforward, with simple but well prepared food at an affordable price.

What struck me is that no matter what day of the week I've been there, by 7:00 the place is packed. Standing room only at one point last night. The formula of good beer + good food = success is working for The Wren. In contrast, so many of businesses along that stretch of Danforth seem to be struggling.

So good on ya, Wren.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

zane9 wrote:What struck me is that no matter what day of the week I've been there, by 7:00 the place is packed. Standing room only at one point last night. The formula of good beer + good food = success is working for The Wren. In contrast, so many of businesses along that stretch of Danforth seem to be struggling...
Much lacking here as a rule it seems. But good customers also seem to be everywhere, if someone applies a more 'european' concept or at least presents some value people show up in droves. We're starved for it apparently.
In Beerum Veritas