Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Indie Alehouse

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote: big, puffy bun.
I think you've scored the name for the next big burger joint.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:
atomeyes wrote: big, puffy bun.
I think you've scored the name for the next big burger joint.

I think Hero Burger owns that, along with Fried Dogfood Patty.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

is the retail store open at indie alehouse yet?

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

matt7215 wrote:is the retail store open at indie alehouse yet?
According to the Saturday Star:

Many of those brews are available for takeout in “growler” jugs at Fisher’s on-site retail store. Business, he says, is booming.

“We’ve sold out the store every single day so far.”

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

atomeyes wrote:
Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Jason says the burger is great.
I can also confirm that their burger is great!
i'd argue otherwise.
3/5 at best.
no condiments. just half a pickle. was kind of try and not full of taste. big, puffy bun.

i'm possibly a burger snob, but i'd also rather eat the one at Scotland Yard (fri night special) over the Indie Alehouse one
It's reminiscent of a certain popular cult burger chain in the U.S., so I don't think it's trying to be like a classic pub burger. But that's just my observation.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cass wrote:
It's reminiscent of a certain popular cult burger chain in the U.S., so I don't think it's trying to be like a classic pub burger. But that's just my observation.
not sure which chain you're referring to, unless it's White Castle.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:
Cass wrote:
Probably referring to In-N-Out. Whistle Castle is horrendous.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Cass wrote:
Probably referring to In-N-Out. Whistle Castle is horrendous.
i didn't love the indie ale burger, so you're not convincing me that it isn't White Castle.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:i didn't love the indie ale burger, so you're not convincing me that it isn't White Castle.
Based on my one White Castle experience I find it hard to believe that the Indie burger would be anything close to a White Castle burger. They were horrid. I'd go to McDonald's, which I normally loathe, ahead of White Castle.

At this point I never order burgers from non-burger joints anymore and even then rarely ever visit places like Burger Priest. My girlfriend has got her gourmet burger and In-N-Out animal style burger down pat that it's not worth ordering burgers anymore.
lister

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

There's a White Castle in a gas station around the corner from 3 Floyds. It is really bad. Despicable really. I've been a few times post brewpub. Do not recommend.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Having said that, I tried Indie's Brisket Burger Friday night and it was really, really good

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I've got to reply to this one, Lackey. White Castle is "really bad" and "despicable," but you've been "a few times"???? :o :lol:

I also enjoyed the Indie burger. It's not about the bun or the toppings -- although I believe those changed Friday night -- but the delicious beefiness of the thing.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

White Castle is terrible, and definitely not what I was comparing Indie's burger to. Neither was it In & Out, although I haven't actually been there to make a comparison. But it's another spot...maybe I'll keep it a secret as the guessing is makes for fun conversation :-)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Five Guys?

Five Guys is actually pretty good for a chain. Not crazy about the processed cheese, but I can see why they use that for "authenticity".
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

hit indie for brunch on sunday and it was damn good. nothing like a breakfast porter before breakfast!

i had the brisket and eggs and loved it. wife had the banana bread french toast and thought it was amazing, stating she'd never order anything else so long as that's on the menu. just wish i had more excuses to be in the city on a sunday morning!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/