Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Indie Alehouse

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Place is a cavern and they've used the space well. It was a slow day and I was impressed with the good tap list, and wth hearing the tales of endless 'oneoffs' planned for future releases. I really didn't know this place was already at such a level in the beer quality and for that I'll be back. They are doing a lot of things the right way and the kitchen does smell good.

Per MetalHead's comments, the service could use some tweaking or at least slightly more people-awareness. When people walk in or sit at the bar, make positive eye contact and greet them - and for goodness sake don't make 'em wait 10 minutes for a beer while you're seemingly off in your own little world.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Jason says the burger is great.
I can also confirm that their burger is great!
i'd argue otherwise.
3/5 at best.
no condiments. just half a pickle. was kind of try and not full of taste. big, puffy bun.

i'm possibly a burger snob, but i'd also rather eat the one at Scotland Yard (fri night special) over the Indie Alehouse one
Got some burgers with a friend, agree not perfect but a decent size and I thought they were beefy with a juicy texture. The 'Smokehouse' toppings that looked so delicious in print were somewhat hard to taste in eating, and the burger seemed a little empty without some vegetables or condiments - so for $15.00 I'd say it was not BeerBistro-level food or even amazing 'regular pub food'. But we were happy to try these & the fiery tiny snack (six for $9.00) of Scotch Bonnet wings.

Table next to us didn't even want to eat half their pizza and told me the sliced black olives on it tasted 'tinny' - not fresh - and while this is becoming a tough town to please repeat customers for pizza, the server never asked if everything was OK (ditto again for repeat customers...)

My friend didn't really care for the IAH beers as much as those she liked at Bellwoods, but I could easily tell the quality of all the beers was very good, even exceptional. The double brown ale aged in bourbon oak, holy smokes what a nice sipper.

Still top marks for beer IMHO. It's a reason to support everything they do.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

psst... new beer tapped at indie on sunday - the first of what I hope is many Biergotter collaborations. Sweep The Leg - a bourbon barrel aged wheatwine. I know one keg made it over to Volo and is expected to be tapped this week. Looking forward to seeing what people think, so if you try it, let me know (or @biergotter on the twitters). Heading down for dinner tonight and a taste of the finished product (it was pretty awesome when we pulled barrel samples recently).

I also did some artwork up for it... enjoy!

@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

great evening at indie with my lovely wife. poutine to start and a couple of pizzas. I <3 three little pigs. the beers were all top notch. new Couch Surfer IPA was tasty and super drinkable. I was a little skeptical going in, but Berried in Smoke (smoked beer with raspberries) worked quite well. Red Tape Stout was nice - drinks more like a 6% export stout than something imperial. Double Team (barrel aged double brown) was great and i wanted to go back for more. I may be biased, but Sweep The Leg stole the show. great bourbon and barrel character. light floral hops and bourbon up front. big caramel/butterscotch middle. nice bitter finish. not sweet at all, and hides much of its 12% abv qutie well. two glasses and a sample later and I still wanted more...

Should also be a keg tapped this week @ volo and I hear one is already flowing at barhop. And they're working on bottles for sale at indie.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

grub wrote:I hear one is already flowing at barhop.
Sweet, I know where I'll be after 5pm today... :D
lister

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Has their retail/bottle shop opened yet?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

zombi69 wrote:Has their retail/bottle shop opened yet?
they've been doing growler sales in the retail space for a long time. don't think they're selling bottles yet, but it's in the works...

broedie4

Post by broedie4 »

Thursday, 21 November 2013 from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM

Indie Alehouse Kitchen Collaboration Dinner - with Chef Anthony Walsh Corp. Exec. Chef Oliver Bonacini

Four Course Pairing Meal - served Family Style with 2 beer samples paired with each course.

$65 per person

Menu

-Oysters and Aperitifs

-Wild Chinook & Seabuckthorn Ceviche - rutagaba-ryeberry salad

-Turkey Gravey Potato Pie - curds, dried haskaps, sage

- Pork Belly, Cotechino & Beans - charred chicorrys, mustard green hummus,brussel sprout gratin, Thunder Oak gouda

- Aged Chese and Mignardese

Full beer list to be announced soon - 2 beers made specially for this dinner
- Nutbrown w/chestnuts and hazelnuts and Nova Scotia haskap berries
- Wit made with coriander and sea buckthorn berries from quebec

Tickets available - http://www.eventbrite.ca/event/9167960617/es2

broedie4

Post by broedie4 »

Beers that will be at the chef collab beer dinner:

Breakfast Porter - 7%
Belgian Wit w/corriander and sea buckthorn berries 5%
Spadina Monkey - barrel aged 15 months in fresh chard bbls w/ brett and raspberries - 5.5%
TNA nut brown ale with haskap berries - 5.2%
Flanders Red - aged 1 year in cab sauv bbls w/grape must - 8.5%
Instigator IPA conditioned in hickey oak cask -6.5%
Glory and Consequences Belgian Dubbel barrel aged 14 monthes in sparking wine base -9%
Black Pumpkin Abbey - 8.5%
(One more TBD)

Event is either close to sold out or is actually sold out. Some of the left over beers will be available this weekend on tap at the bar.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Was the Glory and Consequences always barrel aged or is that a new take on it? Not going to make the dinner, but may try and swing by later this weekend.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wednesday is BBQ night, as in smoked brisket, back ribs, fried chicken and pulled pork, so Hump Day's a good time to sidle up for an always-interesting IAH brew, some comforting southern food & piquant housemade BBQ sauces... good-tasting sides and a decent value. I'll be back!
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Wednesday is BBQ night, as in smoked brisket, back ribs, fried chicken and pulled pork, so Hump Day's a good time to sidle up for an always-interesting IAH brew, some comforting southern food & piquant housemade BBQ sauces... good-tasting sides and a decent value. I'll be back!
When the GF is back in town we'll probably haul ass out there sometime for BBQ night.
lister

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Agreed the BBQ night is good times.
If I'm settling in for quite a few beers with some friends I find Indie very welcoming, despite not being as conveniently located as some other spots. I love Bar Hop and Bar Volo but feel "cramped" at both too easily....it's nice to have so many options these days!