Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Volo - tap and food menu make-over.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JerCraigs wrote:Bad news guys. First taps are gonna be Miller High Life and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Apparently they dropped a bunch of money. Bloody hipsters...

Edit: Video of the announcement
well played, sir.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

grub wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:As an aside - that Winey Bastard by Nickel Brook is intense!! I thought Pinot Noir barrels wouldn't do much to that stout, but it did. It's interesting, but not the easiest thing to drink.
and they actually blended it back with about 10% fresh stout to soften it a little. I loved it last week at the amsterdam brewstache event, but admittedly only had a quarter pint. definitely funkier/winier than the one I made with Iain that was pouring at cask days, but damn tasty.
The first five ounces were great, but it just started getting a little tough after that - for me, anyway.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i may be recalling incorrectly, but the food menu's revamped and I'm not sure if the kitchen itself is getting touched.

Guy Rawlings is in charge of taking care of the food. you're going to see a lot of charcuterie versus the full meals from before.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:
Guy Rawlings is in charge of taking care of the food. you're going to see a lot of charcuterie versus the full meals from before.

I'm totally ok with that! :D
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

atomeyes wrote:i may be recalling incorrectly, but the food menu's revamped and I'm not sure if the kitchen itself is getting touched.
Yes, they're doing kitchen renos as well. Full details weren't completely decided as of a couple of weeks ago, but it will likely be smaller, since they won't need as much equipment for food prep with the reduced menu.
atomeyes wrote:Guy Rawlings is in charge of taking care of the food. you're going to see a lot of charcuterie versus the full meals from before.
Well, full meals haven't really been the focus there for a while now. But yes, it will be even less so. Emphasis will be on snacks/sharing.

And as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there will be no more table service - food will be ordered at the bar and you'll be given a number, similar to Wvrst.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Here's hoping the charcuterie isn't as insanely overpriced as it used to be.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Cale wrote:Here's hoping the charcuterie isn't as insanely overpriced as it used to be.
i suspect prices will not go down as a result of this renovation.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Even if it's expensive - if you're hungry run next door to popeye's wolf down a three-piece, and head back over for some Fermium on cask!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

grub wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Bad news guys. First taps are gonna be Miller High Life and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Apparently they dropped a bunch of money. Bloody hipsters...

Edit: Video of the announcement
well played, sir.
8)

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

JeffPorter wrote:Even if it's expensive - if you're hungry run next door to popeye's wolf down a three-piece, and head back over for some Fermium on cask!
Or suck it up and help defray the cost of making one of Canada's best beer destinations even better.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Or suck it up and help defray the cost of making one of Canada's best beer destinations even better.
Assuming one likes the new menu. Though there's nothing wrong with an objection on cost. Normally we like to eat while we drink but for a couple of places we only drink like Volo and Bellwoods, due to either not liking the food or not seeing the $$$ value or of course the combination of both.
lister

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

lister wrote:
Steve Beaumont wrote:Or suck it up and help defray the cost of making one of Canada's best beer destinations even better.
Assuming one likes the new menu. Though there's nothing wrong with an objection on cost. Normally we like to eat while we drink but for a couple of places we only drink like Volo and Bellwoods, due to either not liking the food or not seeing the $$$ value or of course the combination of both.
I actually like the nibblies at Bellwoods, and often order little snacks or at least the bread and butter, and I might actually be more likely to do so at Volo. Was never that big on their burgers and sandwiches, but I might be tempted to order some snacks off the new menu. Cost is sometimes an issue, but hence the small snacks.

Hopefully they advertise their food a bit more and have a "snack board" along with a taps list.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Steve Beaumont wrote: Or suck it up and help defray the cost of making one of Canada's best beer destinations even better.
Absolutely, even if you can't afford to do it on a regular basis.

Sure you can stuff yourself much more cheaply, but you're not just paying for the food, your paying for the atmosphere. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I certainly miss spending a few hours at a table with friends & great beer. I'd kill for a place like that in Kelowna.

Hey Ralph, the Okanagan summers are a bit like Italy... perhaps you should start thinking of a semi-retirement plan! :wink:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JeffPorter wrote:I actually like the nibblies at Bellwoods, and often order little snacks or at least the bread and butter, and I might actually be more likely to do so at Volo. Was never that big on their burgers and sandwiches, but I might be tempted to order some snacks off the new menu. Cost is sometimes an issue, but hence the small snacks.
My girlfriend has never been a fan of Volo's various Italian menus. I rarely ventured beyond the many iterations of the carbonara which I liked. We gradually moved to just drinks there until the previous burgers and sandwiches menu made it's debut. I was okay with it but she still wasn't impressed.

At Bellwoods there are too many things there that I have difficulty eating for a few different reasons. As a result the cost plays a more important factor when I order something I can mostly eat but give half to three quarters to my girlfriend. She likes the food there but feels a bit cash conscious about it.

I'm also at the point where I don't want to spend the $$$ on charcuterie at restaurants anymore. I'd rather do that at home.

C'est What has really stepped up their food specials. The quality is a lot better, they're more interesting and the price is good.
Hopefully they advertise their food a bit more and have a "snack board" along with a taps list.
That's been something I've liked to see more and more bars, restaurants and food trucks do, tweet food specials, menu changes, beer changes and what-not. It's very helpful and does increase our patronage if a beer or food item tweaks our interest.

The food trucks are getting really lazy about that, not tweeting the food menu. I don't care if it's just text or a picture, just tweet the menu! During the summer I didn't mind as much since it's a nice walk outside to RBC Plaza. Now in the winter walking over to the Sony Centre with no idea what food is available, that's just not happening.
lister

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I don't eat while drinking beer. Kills my buzz.