Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Cheshire Cat is on Fire.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

The Cheshire Cat is on Fire.

Post by rejtable »

This is very bad news.
:(

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Very sad news.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

It's basically done. Bell Tower has fallen. There will be nothing worth saving. Sad day.

I'm hopeful that they will rebuild but who knows, it's a big endeavor.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

On Twitter the owners are now saying that they will rebuild!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Wow! How old was the building?

Sorry, Ottawa BTers - my heart goes out to you and the owners.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Not sure age, but it had some kind of heritage designation. Former school house.

I'm certainly no engineer or contractor, but man that damage looks and sounds extensive. Hopefully they had adequate insurance and can re-start (if not rebuild) at some point. Even if the old school-house character is gone forever, the owners clearly knew how to build and manage a great pub so there's hope for something good (even if different) in the future.

Huge loss to craft breweries too, I would assume, as the Cat must have been a pretty substantial account for some of them.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Devastating news to wake up to.

As someone who lives in Kanata, The Cat was the only real place around with a great rotating craft selection, fantastic food, and a one of a kind atmosphere to back it up. I absolutely loved the place. The owners loved the place, and it showed. Dustin is a great guy and I'm not surprised to see him moving on and talking rebuild already. Whatever they decide to do, I'm sure it will be awesome.

RIP The Cat.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Looks like the original structure was built in 1883:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/st ... royed.html

I was only there once, a decade ago, before the current owners took over. It certainly had some historic charm, and even at that time it was a surprisingly good pub! (we just happened to stop in on a trip to the Diefenbunker).

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/04/ ... agic-fire/
The good news is, the building was insured and Therrien expects to act as his own general contractor to save a few bucks during reconstruction. If all goes well, he hopes to reopen for Labour Day or, failing that, Remembrance Day, and promises the look before and after will be pretty much the same.

Oh, but there’s much more to the story than the rebirth of Cheshire Cat …

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nothing like a clean insurance rebuild to make a place even better I guess - and ironically cheaper to insure as a modern-code structure with much lower liability to the Co.

Reading about the food this place has/had, the football-sized Haddock and chips, I really want to go visit the Cheshire mkII. Remarkable story all around.
In Beerum Veritas

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

The Cat is back!

I stopped in tonight. Certainly a bit more modern, but the stone foundation, vibe, bar, people, food, is all the same as before. They have a peat smoked "Brown" IPA collab with Flying Monkeys on tap at the moment. Not much smoke, but nicely hopped and goes down easy (like a lighter Netherworld). They also had Beau's Bourbon Two Weeks Notice, which was light on the bourbon but good enough considering I don't really care for the original. Tap selection isn't too crazy otherwise, but some good proven Ontario stuff and a few rotating taps. The casks should be up and running tomorrow with Winter Beard in one and eventually some rotating Kichissipi and GLB (if I heard corredctly). The beer menu on the website is not accurate at all, check them out on Twitter or Facebook.

I had some pork wings which were perfect. Nice and meaty, cooked to perfection. The menu looked much the same otherwise, not much that I wouldn't order. All the great English styled stuff remains.

All in all, stoked to see it back as someone who lives just down the road. Such great people there, such great food, and the beer selection is more than adequate. Without a doubt my favourite place in Ottawa to have a pint.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Awesome! Definitely going to need to make a trip out there over the holidays! Glad they are back, great people and a great place.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

I was there on Monday night -- the place was packed! Great to see the Cat has another life!