Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Useful website for pub lovers

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PolishDude

Useful website for pub lovers

Post by PolishDude »

Hi guys if you like pubs then this website could be useful for anyone that lives in Ontario and is looking for a good pub.

www.ontariopubs.ca

Check it out!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

And would you maybe be affiliated with said site? You whose first post is to promote it?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

LOL. The site is useless for craft beer drinkers as it doesn't distinguish between bars that only/mostly serve micro beer and those that peddle Molbatts garbage. That's why you see The Scot's Corner, Poacher's Arms, etc. listed on the site, with the inference that those places are somehow worth visiting. The local guides on Bar Towel, BA, and RB are much more helpful for finding bars, breweries, and stores that offer quality beer.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

PolishDude wrote:Hi guys if you like pubs then this website could be useful for anyone that lives in Ontario and is looking for a good pub.

www.ontariopubs.ca

Check it out!
your definition of "good pub" is pretty loose, most of the places listed on your site are the type of establishments that the majority of us here try to avoid

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

cratez wrote:LOL. The site is useless for craft beer drinkers as it doesn't distinguish between bars that only/mostly serve micro beer and those that peddle Molbatts garbage. That's why you see The Scot's Corner, Poacher's Arms, etc. listed on the site, with the inference that those places are somehow worth visiting. The local guides on Bar Towel, BA, and RB are much more helpful for finding bars, breweries, and stores that offer quality beer.
I don't even see Milos on there. What a joke.

PolishDude

Post by PolishDude »

ErkLR wrote:And would you maybe be affiliated with said site? You whose first post is to promote it?
It is my friend's site. The website is growing and I will suggest to him that he should include more places that carry craft beers...

PolishDude

Post by PolishDude »

So can you give me few examples of pubs or bars that are good in your opinion?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

PolishDude wrote:So can you give me few examples of pubs or bars that are good in your opinion?
In no particular order off the top of my head...

Toronto:
Barvolo
Granite Brewpub
Bar Hop
C'est What
Ber Bistro
The Only Cafe
Against the Grain
Bellwoods Brewpub
The Rhino
Victory Cafe
Wvrst
Get Well

Waterloo Region:
Kickoff
The Bent Elbow
Heuther Hotel

PolishDude

Post by PolishDude »

Gedge wrote:
cratez wrote:LOL. The site is useless for craft beer drinkers as it doesn't distinguish between bars that only/mostly serve micro beer and those that peddle Molbatts garbage. That's why you see The Scot's Corner, Poacher's Arms, etc. listed on the site, with the inference that those places are somehow worth visiting. The local guides on Bar Towel, BA, and RB are much more helpful for finding bars, breweries, and stores that offer quality beer.
So what information would you like to see on the website to make it more useful to everyone?

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

PolishDude wrote:
Gedge wrote:
So what information would you like to see on the website to make it more useful to everyone?
No offense, but who will use this when there are great general purpose sites like Yelp?

PolishDude

Post by PolishDude »

cmadd wrote:
PolishDude wrote:
Gedge wrote: I don't even see Milos on there. What a joke.
No offense, but who will use this when there are great general purpose sites like Yelp?
Well sites such as Yelp and others do not show information on what's going on in the pubs. What kind of events are happening and what kind of food specials are offered. Also they are not driven by the pub owners. Ontario Pubs website is updated by the pub owners so the information is current and up to date.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

PolishDude wrote: What kind of events are happening and what kind of food specials are offered. Also they are not driven by the pub owners. Ontario Pubs website is updated by the pub owners so the information is current and up to date.
You mean like the websites that all the pub owners already have?

Certainly a great deal of the tone and content of these boards is dictated by Cass and Greg; but I personally take a dim view of people who show up to represent a business/website without first introducing themselves and why they're here.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

There is a reason bar owners embrace Facebook and twitter.. it free and easy to update patrons on tap changes and events (See Volvo, Milos Kickoff Imbibe, The Bent Elbow, etc etc as examples.)

Then there are sites like untappd where i can see locally consumed beer and what my "friends" are drinking in near realtime all patron driven

And finally patrons develop their won apps for themselves - this one strips Bills updates off Kickoff's facebook and updates

http://kickoffs.ca

Free, fast and easy for everyone.
I wish this endeavour luck but its gonna be tough.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I love getting Facebook updates from Volvo. Their cars are the best!

PolishDude

Post by PolishDude »

NRman wrote:There is a reason bar owners embrace Facebook and twitter.. it free and easy to update patrons on tap changes and events (See Volvo, Milos Kickoff Imbibe, The Bent Elbow, etc etc as examples.)

Then there are sites like untappd where i can see locally consumed beer and what my "friends" are drinking in near realtime all patron driven

And finally patrons develop their won apps for themselves - this one strips Bills updates off Kickoff's facebook and updates

http://kickoffs.ca

Free, fast and easy for everyone.
I wish this endeavour luck but its gonna be tough.
I agree Facebook and Twitter are great websites / tools for business owners. The problem is how do you find these pubs? First you must find the pub in order to join their Facebook or twitter page. There are lots of small pubs that do not have Facebook or Twitter accounts or even their own website.

Look guys I understand that you may think that the website is useless but I would still like your opinion on how it can be improved.

Thank you.

The reason I have joined this forum is to find out information about good pubs and to get information about unique beer. I am Polish and I don't like anything produced by Molson or Labatt. I love good quality beer. I don't have much experience of drinking beers from micro breweries. This is why I have joined this forum in order to discover what is out there in terms of unique beer.

Beers that I love:
Tyskie
London Pride
Guinness
Steam Whistle
Rolling Rock
Leff
Stella
Lech