Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Stowaway, Hamilton

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I only wish Newmarket/Aurora had something with that good a tap list.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cale wrote:They've recently added two 60-in-1 table top arcade machines. I was really hoping they'd bring in some table top machines as they're perfect in a bar setting. Had a blast with some Xevious and 2-player Tetris.

The beer list still isn't anything crazy, but being able to sit in extremely comfortable leather chairs while playing a variety of arcade games for 25 cents a pop easily makes this one of my favourite bars in the city.

Service was exceptionally friendly. It's a real shame this place isn't doing better (we were the only customers from 5:30-7 today)

$4 pints tomorrow night - anyone in?
After 830 I am in!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Hope to be there tonite!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lisa and I check it out on a whim this evening when I got off work. We got there at 9:30 and there were about 10 other people there which was encouraging.

I only drink on two days of the week and tonight was not one, but Lisa had an RPA and she enjoyed it. I had a Soda and Lime but got some high scores on some games!!! I will be back on Thursday (tomorrow).
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Simplefolk

Post by Simplefolk »

Seems every night they have a pairing food with a beer. Thursday is Light Lagar and a pound of wings for $12.
I loved the beer. Sure beats any domestic pint.
Clean and fairly quiet.
My only issue was parking. Nothing immediate and permit parking on the side streets. Make sure you got some coin and park behind the Grocery store across from the Armouries. They had entertainment.
The Oatmeal stout was pretty good too.
Be nice to see this catch on. Especially for the Art Crawls.

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

Went there last night and enjoyed myself.

Food was a little on the high side however I couldn't finish my fish 'n chips so they definitely weren't stingy. Everything was cooked well too.

Beer list was solid. Wouldn't say there was any "crazy" one off beers however there wasn't a single dud on the list. They got all their bases covered in terms of selection. A few things I would say stood out to me was the fact that (as of right now) they consistently have Camerons RPA and McAuslan Oatmeal stout which are both phenomenal beers . I didn't taste anything off in the beers so they are keeping the lines clean (which i guess is to be expected for a new place)

The whole establishment was clean and the staff are very friendly. Place seemed casual and lacked that "hipster vibe" that has been starting to be an issue. Oh! and 4$ proper pints on Tuesdays?! Yes please!

The only thing I wasn't entirely sure on is the design of the place. Personally I like to see the bar placed where people can see it from outside . Currently its "stowed away" in the back which is suppose was intentional.

I will be going back to check out different food n whatnot. If you are in or stopping by Hamilton I would give this place a visit

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Closed. :cry:
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Closed. :cry:
Sad to see this place closed. I was an early champion of The Stowaway. Many things account for its demise, ultimately including its location. A destination pub, a little too far north on James N.

Maybe someone else will take it over, and give it a clear identity.