Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Isabel

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Bar Isabel

Post by Cass »

New spot by Grant Van Gameren, very well known in the foodie circles. According to an article in the Grid they're "collaborating" with Volo for beer, not sure what that means. Always nice to see a good beer lineup at a new spot. Looks like opened tonight.

From http://barisabel.com

DRAFT

Spirit Tree Pub Cider 7.5
House Ales, 2 Hop, American Pale Ale 7.5
Dieu du Ciel, Rosee D’Hibiscus, Belgian Wit 8.5
Bellwoods, Hellwoods, Imperial Stout 8
Bellwoods, Witchshark, Imperial IPA 8
Bellwoods, Wizard Wolf, Session Ale 6.5

BOTTLES

Le Trou du Diable, La Butuese Belgian Strong Ale (500ml) 13.5
Glutenberg, American Pale Ale, Gluten Free (341ml) 9
Howe Sound Lager, Dortmunder Lager (355ml) 7
Half Pints, Little Scrapper American IPA (341ml) 8.5
Dieu du Ciel, Penombre, Black IPA (341ml) 8
Dieu du Ciel, Recousse, German Alt (341ml) 8
Lindemans, Cuvee Rene, Lambic Gueuze (375ml) 20
Orval, Belgian Trappist Blonde (330ml) 12
Westmalle Tripel, Belgian Tripel (330ml) 13

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I call it College west and the list looks great. I hope it does well. Obviously a very popular neighbourhood.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Chef is Guy Rawlings formerly of Bellwoods.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Cass wrote:Bellwoods, Wizard Wolf, Session Ale 6.5
Is this a re-brand of the Common, or a new beer altogether?

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I went last night and had the Wizard. It was similar to the Common, but less citrusy, so either my tastebuds are not remembering correctly and it's the same beer, or it's something different but similar.

Cocktails were good too. And the food looked amazing, though I didn't try any.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

esprit wrote:Chef is Guy Rawlings formerly of Bellwoods.
just a correction.
the chef and owner is Grant.
Guy is his GM and beer buyer. probably helping out in the kitchen on occasion, but likely not doing to much re: food

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

velovampire wrote:
Cass wrote:Bellwoods, Wizard Wolf, Session Ale 6.5
Is this a re-brand of the Common, or a new beer altogether?
Bellwoods' website now lists Wizard Wolf as 'coming soon', so it must be a new beer.
Ren

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

New beer places are always welcome and the Wizard Wolf sounds interesting.

Am I mistaken thinking some of their bottle prices are stupidly high? (Westmalle, Orval, Half Pints, Glutenberg). I think you can get a 2 year old Orval for that price at Beer Bistro, which isn't cheap.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I don't think they are. Again (as discussed in the other thread on beer pricing) it depends on what the market will bear. This appears to be a stylish new restaurant in a trendy area, so i would sort of expect it to be priced accordingly. I don't think anyone would think similar markups on wine were way out of line.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Given the type of place, I don't think the beers were overpriced for the place. However, I'm unlikely to order bottles there since I could get them for similar or cheaper elsewhere. 6.50 for 12oz of Wizard Wolf seemed like a better deal.

Also, the cocktails are good.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

midlife crisis wrote:I don't think they are. Again (as discussed in the other thread on beer pricing) it depends on what the market will bear. This appears to be a stylish new restaurant in a trendy area, so i would sort of expect it to be priced accordingly. I don't think anyone would think similar markups on wine were way out of line.
Yup - 250% to 350% of the beer's cost is pretty much the norm at these sort of places.

I had dinner at Cafe Boulud in the Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago, and paid 8 bucks for a Mad Tom. Seems high for a beer that is $13.50 a six pack at the LCBO, but this is a restaurant with main courses in the $30+ range, so it's to be expected.

And quite honestly, I was really impressed by the fact that they had a pretty decent beer list with a number of local options,so I didn't mind supporting it despite the higher price point.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

GregClow wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:I don't think they are. Again (as discussed in the other thread on beer pricing) it depends on what the market will bear. This appears to be a stylish new restaurant in a trendy area, so i would sort of expect it to be priced accordingly. I don't think anyone would think similar markups on wine were way out of line.
Yup - 250% to 350% of the beer's cost is pretty much the norm at these sort of places.

I had dinner at Cafe Boulud in the Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago, and paid 8 bucks for a Mad Tom. Seems high for a beer that is $13.50 a six pack at the LCBO, but this is a restaurant with main courses in the $30+ range, so it's to be expected.

And quite honestly, I was really impressed by the fact that they had a pretty decent beer list with a number of local options,so I didn't mind supporting it despite the higher price point.
and here lies the Ontario conundrum.

when i go out to eat, i (begrudgingly) pay premium dollars for a bottle of wine. but, in return, i choose a bottle that I cannot get through the LCBO i.e. something from a private vendor. so you're paying more, but getting a treat that you normally can't get.

other than someone carrying stuff from Esprit or R&R (which I have no idea as to why most restaurants don't do that), then what beer can i get that i normally cannot get at the LCBO?

same thing when i go to a local bar. why would i spend $7 on a Mad Tom when i can buy it for half that at the LCBO? instead, i'll drink draught that i normally can't find.

so it is a catch 22. i want to support the craft beer scene, but i don't want to feel like a fool for doing so at my (financial) expense. after all, what "experience" am i getting by having a craft beer at a restaurant? nothing. therefore, the cost is hard to justify.

now, take that Orval, cellar it for a year and/or sell it when it is no longer available at the LCBO? now we're talking.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Though most of that bottle list in the OP is non-LCBO. But I take your point. I only order a bottled beer if the draught list is completely dire.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We were there Saturday night. First thing. Second set of people in the door. We were dismayed when we were asked if we had reservations. Uh, nothing about reservations on the website. Most of these type of places don't do reservations anymore. So we had to sit at the bar which we frequently do and prefer at bars and restaurants so you know whatever. The stools though were the most uncomfortable stools I've ever sat on. I almost started to stand two thirds of the way through our visit. Food was good. There was only one dish I had trouble with due to a prominent ingredient not mentioned on the menu.

For drinks we started with beer. We had the Wizard Wolf. I've been bothered before by restaurants serving 16oz beers for 20oz prices but this is really getting ridiculous. As someone already mentioned that glass was probably 12oz and they left two finger widths of space at the top too! And I'm not one of those fist pounders that demand beer all the way to the top of 20oz glasses either. Suffice to say we only ordered one beer. I'm not ordering beer in restaurants anymore if this continues. I want to support craft beer there but this is really stretching things.

The cocktails were good. We ordered several.
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Next Tuesday there will be an event with La Trou du Diable

http://keep6imports.com/post/4634290596 ... isabel#_=_

Le Trou Du Diable La P’tite Buteuse (Belgian Table Beer)
Le Trou Du Diable La Buteuse Tripel (Belgian Tripel)
Le Trou Du Diable La Buteuse Brassin Special (Barrel Aged)
Le Trou Du Diable Mactavish (American Pale Ale)
Le Trou Du Diable Amere Indienne (Belgian IPA)
Le Trou Du Diable Dulcis Succubus (Imperial Sour Saison)
Le Trou Du Diable X Dieu Du Ciel! Archeoporter (Barrel Aged Sour Porter)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole