Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Bistro has Ruthless Rye IPA & other Sierra Nevadas.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jonah Hex

Beer Bistro has Ruthless Rye IPA & other Sierra Nevadas.

Post by Jonah Hex »

... on their new beer menu.

A tease at:

Also, some unnamed Southern Tier bottles coming.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BB always has some great, unique USA and import bottles on offer, among them a good handful that are decently priced for a casual drop by at the very nice barside.
Incidentally I really enjoy the über-tasty Kobe beef tacos or the signature Primanti pulled pork sandwich piled high with snackable goodness.
In Beerum Veritas

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

I agree...kobe beef tacos are great (as are the frites!). The atmosphere isn't my thing, though....sort of like a pre-Richmond St clubbing vibe ("do you have a reservation?"). Would be nice if the owners opened up a more relaxed spot, with the same beer menu, of course!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Not sure I get that. Always a free for all in the bar area. But different strokes I guess.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I always head for the bar at BB, and find the other people and staff always very welcoming. Still my favourite place in TO for good beers and good food. The tacos are tasty indeed.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and size of this new order. Tons of Victory, Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, and Southern Tier bottles on the menu, all fresh and reasonably priced (from $5.50-$9.85 IIRC). Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsner and Rodenbach Flanders Red on tap as well. Definitely worth a visit!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

midlife crisis wrote:Not sure I get that. Always a free for all in the bar area. But different strokes I guess.
Sorry...I didn't mean "club" per-se....but the sort of folks who dress up for a Friday night at a bar (vs. someone like me who is dying to get into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt after wearing wool pants, dress shirts all week!). Think it's probably the dining area that has that vibe for the most part....tough to beat the beer selection, so I can certainly put up with it regardless!

FWIW, still wondering who they're getting some of their selection from...they seem to have an endless supply of Cantillon, and some of the U.S. bottles don't seem to be available anywhere else in the city that I'm aware of.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mixedup wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Not sure I get that. Always a free for all in the bar area. But different strokes I guess.
Sorry...I didn't mean "club" per-se....but the sort of folks who dress up for a Friday night at a bar (vs. someone like me who is dying to get into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt after wearing wool pants, dress shirts all week!). Think it's probably the dining area that has that vibe for the most part....tough to beat the beer selection, so I can certainly put up with it regardless!

FWIW, still wondering who they're getting some of their selection from...they seem to have an endless supply of Cantillon, and some of the U.S. bottles don't seem to be available anywhere else in the city that I'm aware of.
They are importing it themselves. That's why they have exclusive access to certain breweries.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:Always a free for all in the bar area.
Unless I'm entertaining a guest, I always elbow in at the bar. It's a great place to strike up some banter with the enthusiastic staff, the other beer hunters, and plenty of nice people just traveling thru the T-Dot (apparently bb is quite a draw!)
In Beerum Veritas

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

matt7215 wrote: They are importing it themselves. That's why they have exclusive access to certain breweries.
Well, the Cantillon situation is interesting, as I was under the impression that the LCBO will only allow a single designated importer of a particular beer. Given that the importer for Cantillon beers is Keep 6 (or at least, it is now), wondering how that works.

Would really really love to do a private order, but may have to end up doing it via Quebec.