Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Esplanade Bier Markt

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

missionary

Post by missionary »

To any beer demon this is a no-brainer. This place is more like a "beer Palace" than a bar. An extensive beer menu,( a real menu that includes descriptions!) great food and drop dead good looking decor makes this a must for anyone lloking for a great pint. They have everything from majors to micros, with an emphasis on Belgians. They even had the Session Ale from the tiny Scotch Irish Brewery in Ottawa, so far the only bar in town I have found it in! Apparently all beers are recommended by Stephen Beaumont. Food is great too, especially the mussels.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I would highly recommend Smokeless Joe (125 John Street). The beer selection is bigger than at Esplanade and it is not an Interbrew shop.

And while Joe listens to the opinions of both Cass and myself, it hardly matters since he brings in absolutely everything he can get his hands on - including Scotch Irish, Glenora Springs, Walkerville, Church Key, Durham cask ales, and exclusives from the likes of Rogue, St Peter's (coming soon) and others.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Caffé Volo is pretty good too.
In Beerum Veritas

mds

Post by mds »

Belgian wrote:The Caffé Volo is pretty good too.
Isn't it Bar Volo now?

Unless you wanted to blend in with the five year old thread :P

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Damn you caught me. Practicing for April first...

Actually "Bar Volo" is a Caffe more in the real Italian tradition - a place to enjoy booze or food or coffee, or a light snack very casually while reading a newspaper. Our city lacks these authentic environments so a big Kudos to Ralph for trying to impress the concept along with the namesake 'caffe.'
In Beerum Veritas

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Agreed, except I think Ralph doesn't like the caffe portion of the name - Volo is his preference I think...hell, call it whatever, I can't wait for that patio to open back up as it gets warmer...

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

tupalev wrote:...hell, call it whatever, I can't wait for that patio to open back up as it gets warmer...
I hear that. I was there the other night with some friends, one of whom, her first comment was 'I bet that patio is really nice in the summer'. I said 'you know it!'

So, I'll meet ya there in a month or so.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I bet that is one Patio that you could coax a female of the species to join one at, just because it's so amenable she will totally forget Volo is essentially a Beer Haven for us guys! [Ahem, just don't tell them.]

Come to think I have noticed some very fine ladies at Volo on various occasions, making the place even more beautiful if that were at all possible.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Never been to Volo yet, but keep tempting myself by visting their website and checking in on the news here at Bartowel.

Looks like quite the cozy place. So I offer up to Belgian and everyone else here at Bartowel....if you were to take out a "new" lady to a beer venue in Toronto, where would you choose?

Volo? Beer Bistro? Somewhere else? I've been t oBB many times, always a great experience, whether with a lady or not, but don't know how it compares to Volo. I think the Volo patio in nice weather would be the perfect spot?

Now...add this challenge. Say your lady was not a beer drinker. Her drink of choice is Tequila! Now...what beer(s) would you tempt her with??

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:I bet that is one Patio that you could coax a female of the species to join one at, just because it's so amenable she will totally forget Volo is essentially a Beer Haven for us guys!
Riiiiiight, because women would never go somewhere to drink good beer on their own, would they?

Did someone change this place into a locker room and not tell me? :roll:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
Belgian wrote:I bet that is one Patio that you could coax a female of the species to join one at, just because it's so amenable she will totally forget Volo is essentially a Beer Haven for us guys!
Riiiiiight, because women would never go somewhere to drink good beer on their own, would they?

No they would.

But are you saying women would never go to a gym and work out? :roll:

(I love irony almost as much as parodying false stereotypes.)
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
GregClow wrote:Riiiiiight, because women would never go somewhere to drink good beer on their own, would they?

No they would.

But are you saying women would never go to a gym and work out? :roll:
Touché. :wink:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

....if you were to take out a "new" lady to a beer venue in Toronto, where would you choose?
1. Beer Bistro for the fine quality of the food and "upscale" ambience. Also, the room itself is very impressive.
2. Volo - a close second, would jump to first if she is a particular fan of Italian cuisine.
3. Smokeless - can be a bit crowded/not conducive to an intimate first date, but if she's a particular fan of oysters, might choose this.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I would also suggest Allen's. It's not too intimidating, the beer is great, and the room is not too overwhelming. Oh, and the food is really good as well. Plus before or after you can go to the snug at Dora Keogh next door and have a pint.

For a romantic meal with killer food in a great environment, as well as a great beer selection, there is La Palette in Kensington. It's a really wonderful place, and they usually have delicious cheval on the menu (horse!). And again, if you want to do another great bar before or after, there is the Embassy down the street at Augusta at Baldwin.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

El Pinguino wrote:So I offer up to Belgian and everyone else here at Bartowel....if you were to take out a "new" lady to a beer venue in Toronto, where would you choose?
My current girlfriend and I actually had our first date at C'est What. (First date with the previous girlfriend was a Black Oak brewing tour! Hehe)

I had a first date at Allen's once, sat at the bar. It was good because it was fun yet casual. Didn't lead to anything but that had nothing to do with the venue.

My Recommendations:
1 - Volo. Just because its fun there, and its got a cozy feel that goes over wonderfully even if the lady friend is not a beer lover. Patio is to quote tupalev "FAN-tastic!" in the summer, though perhaps not as private as you might want on a first date?

2 - Beer Bistro, sit at the Chef's table. Maybe on a second or third date... The foods great, I opted for sharing a number of smaller dishes with my gf when I did it (mmmm pulled pork.... <homer drooling noise> Plus it's just a neat experience and Brian, Jesse and the rest of the staff are quite accomodating and friendly. I am not familiar with other restaurants in town that offer this sort of seating as affordably as does BB. (But then my dining experience is less expansive than some)

3 - Castro's Lounge in the Beaches - Finish up here for a beverage after a walk along the boardwalk/beach, or vice versa. Nice pizza place down the road if the menu at Castro's doesn't catch your fancy.