Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good pubs in Stratford

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shrike

Good pubs in Stratford

Post by shrike »

Going to the Stratford Festival in a couple of weeks; any recommendations on a good pub to visit? Thanks!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Best one is Mercer Hall, with 5 taps, all craft.

Bentley's across the road only has one or two craft. Forsters has 2 or 3. Down The Street has a few craft. As does Pazzo. It isn't a booming market for craft beer... yet.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Last time i was there i liked downstairs at Pazzo; works if you are fond of Stratford Common and wood oven pizza. I've never been to Mercer Hall though, it sounds promising. Otherwise it's a bit of a wasteland. Particularly curious is the lack of outlets for Stratford Brewing.

shrike

Post by shrike »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a feeling its going to end up Bentley's as it looks to be cheapest. As long as they have Tankhouse on draft we'll be all right!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

God. Really?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'm not too sure if they still have Tankhouse on, but then I didn't look around for long.

As I was just dropping off kegs at Mercer Hall, I can tell you they have the following on tap: Beaus, Stone Hammer Light, Crosswinds Pale Ale, Neustast Sour Kraut, Silversmith
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

My wife and I go twice a year to Stratford.

Although it is not a great place for craft beer, I really enjoy the food and patio at the Boars Head on Ontario St. They have a few Mill St including Tankhouse and a couple of Imports on tap plus the food is good at the Pour House, across from the Avon. If seeing a play at the Avon we hit the Pour House at Intermission for a good drink rather than the overpriced theatre stuff
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Given that Stratford is seen as the cultural and culinary epicenter of Ontario (at least that is what I gather), I was always surprised that the craft beer scene there never really "took off", so to speak.

Back when I was a beer drinker,I recall a time when I tried, in vein, to visit the Stratford Brewery. It was closed for the day. Since we had made our way up from London, we decided to go for a pint beforte leaving town....we never did find a place that had anothing other than Stratford Pilsner.

Glad it has improved at least somewhat.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Mercer Hall has added the St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale on their guest tap.

Savour Stratford is on Sept 20th - 22nd -- looks like a great weekend festival for local food, wine, and craft beer.

Cheers,
Barry

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Any recent updates for Stratford? Looking at The Hub (Primarily in hopes of trying the Herald Haus beer before the brewery opens) and Mercer Hall. Also hoping Jobsite may open befire our august visit. Alternatively any good food tips for a non-beery lunch?

Chris

Post by Chris »

Mercer hall is good, and great food.

The HUB usually has a better beer selection, but food not nearly as good

Black Swann has a small tasting room and always has their good stuff on tap.

If driving, stop at Shakespeare Brewing company in Shakespeare, ON -- very friendly and good beer.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Also, if driving, Seaforth ON is a short drive west (30 min)... YOU MUST GO TO HALF HOURS ON EARTH. :D

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Chris wrote:Also, if driving, Seaforth ON is a short drive west (30 min)... YOU MUST GO TO HALF HOURS ON EARTH. :D
That's the plan! :) Thanks for the suggestions/commentary for Stratford area!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Suggest call ahead to ensure HHOE open (depending what day you're going). Otherwise, very friendly and (agreeing with everyone else on here, I'm sure) well worth a visit. If you like the ponies, or at least the buggies, there is a sweet little racetrack at Clinton, a further ten minutes from Seaforth. Makes for a very fine day out. No HHOE, but Cowbell beers available at the track, which is decidedly better than nothing.