Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Station Ho.st

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Station Ho.st

Post by Craig »

http://stationhost.ca/

I checked out Hopfesntark's new drinking hall last week when I was in town for a Habs game. I have to say, I loved it. Laid-back atmosphere, fun crowd, music not blaring so you can actually have a conversation, and most importantly lots and lots of Hopfesntark stuff on tap. I especially enjoyed the Voivod (black saison IPA, whatever that means) and the barley wine, though things were getting a little blurry at that point. I found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable as well and to top it all off, I was told I got a "deal" at the end of the night, which I can believe based on the size of my bill. No food at all other than bags of chips and the like. It kind of reminded me of The Only if it were a brewpub.

It's not going to dethrone Vices et Versa or Brouhaha as the top craft spot in town, but if you're in that 'hood or you're interesting in sampling the Hopfenstark lineup, it's very much worth a visit.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I wrote up a quick review of my experiences there over the summer here and talked about it in the thread in Canadian Beer Talk.

Really liked the place and found their prices more than fair. Switched to their smaller sizes mid-way through the session (so I could try more different things) and was kinda shocked at how low the bill was, like, it was literally half of what I expected to pay. Too used to Volo's prices I suppose!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Another friend of mine was there a couple weeks ago and he reported the same thing about the prices. Not only was it very cheap, but he also got freebies thrown in. Either they're trying to build the brand loyalty a bit because they're new, or they're under orders to reward the beer geeks.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

squeaky wrote:Another friend of mine was there a couple weeks ago and he reported the same thing about the prices. Not only was it very cheap, but he also got freebies thrown in. Either they're trying to build the brand loyalty a bit because they're new, or they're under orders to reward the beer geeks.
Fred was pouring drinks when I was there, so it would seem the orders are coming directly from the top. He seems to want to make the place very focused on being a true place of enjoyment of finer liquids.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I went here in August and had the same experience. Very nice bar, nice staff, good beer and cheap as hell! I tried a good chunk of the menu and was blown away by the small size of my bill when it arrived. Will definitely hit it up again next time I am in Montreal.
Ren

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

There can't be very many better people in the industry than Fred. That dude is legit.