Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Local 1794, 1794 Danforth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Local 1794, 1794 Danforth

Post by TwoPint »

Local 1794 is a new bar under construction at 1794 Danforth, a bit east of the Coxwell McDonalds. A St. Ambroise sign has just gone up out front. The Twitter site promises a "Stylish and Sleek designed environment, quickly to become an inspiring addition to the neighbourhood."

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Sounds promising. I wish someone would turn the Crossroads into a brewpub.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

I've heard the Crossroads is a disaster inside. Has anyone actually been inside or see photos anywhere? Would be curious to know how long it's been shuttered.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mistermurphy wrote:I've heard the Crossroads is a disaster inside. Has anyone actually been inside or see photos anywhere? Would be curious to know how long it's been shuttered.
zack from toronto brewing was in there.
it apparently wasn't bad

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Gedge wrote:Sounds promising. I wish someone would turn the Crossroads into a brewpub.
I used to clean draft lines there. It was not an appropriate environment for humans.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Open tomorrow. I was told that opening hours are 3:00 Monday through Thursday and 11:00 Friday through Sunday. A bountiful draft lineup, all Ontario and Quebec micros. I saw one cask pump. Can't wait.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

A spiffy place and prices are reasonable. Most pints are $6.25 or $6.50.

24 drafts and one cask pump (which isn't working yet). Apart from Thornbury Cider, Guinness and 1516 Okanagan, the draft is all Ontario and Quebec micro although it tends to the pedestrian (Organic, Tankhouse, Lug-Tread, Steam Whistle, Creemore). Still, you can get Cheval Blanc, Fin du monde, Smashbomb, Canuck, Pompous Ass, Headstock, and Lone Pine IPA.

It's a great addition to this craft-starved stretch of the Danforth.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TwoPint wrote: It's a great addition to this craft-starved stretch of the Danforth.
just go to the Wren or the Only or Sarah's.

i mean, if a bar's opening up in 2014, you think they'd kind of get it beer-wise and not (likely) have lines payola'd in.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

atomeyes wrote:
TwoPint wrote: It's a great addition to this craft-starved stretch of the Danforth.
just go to the Wren or the Only or Sarah's.
I gave up on Sarah's years ago after two visits and I don't see what's so inspiring about their draft list. Unless I'm missing some place, Local's will be the only cask on the Danforth east of The Only. The only craft east of Sarah's that I'm aware of is near Woodbine at Relish and The Kilt & Harp where they've had a couple of Flying Monkeys or Lake of Bays to go along with their Labatt 50 and Molson Stock. Local 1794 is a step forward for the neighbourhood.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

atomeyes wrote: i mean, if a bar's opening up in 2014, you think they'd kind of get it beer-wise and not (likely) have lines payola'd in.
Why? Just because there's a couple of hundred of us who think it would be great to have some Bellwoods and GLB seasonals on the Danforth? I hate to tell you, but Mill St. Organic sells. Can't blame a new bar owner for throwing in a few safe choices.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i mean, if a bar's opening up in 2014, you think they'd kind of get it beer-wise and not (likely) have lines payola'd in.
Why? Just because there's a couple of hundred of us who think it would be great to have some Bellwoods and GLB seasonals on the Danforth? I hate to tell you, but Mill St. Organic sells. Can't blame a new bar owner for throwing in a few safe choices.
oh, i don't know...
just looking at sales trends and stuff...ya know, the thing that restaurant/bar owners should do.
craft beer's where the money's at.

then there's the whole question as to why someone opens a bar in the first place. what are they passionate about?
if the answer is "Mill Street Organic", then you wonder about their long-term success. I've seen enough Mill Street-payola'd bars go tits up over the past 10 years . i don't recall many craft beer bars closing

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, but in this case they seem to have a good range (even a beer engine) so I don't begrudge them a few mainstream taps that I myself would never touch. Passion is fine but yoy gotta pay the bills too.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

atomeyes wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
oh, i don't know...
just looking at sales trends and stuff...ya know, the thing that restaurant/bar owners should do.
craft beer's where the money's at.

then there's the whole question as to why someone opens a bar in the first place. what are they passionate about?
if the answer is "Mill Street Organic", then you wonder about their long-term success. I've seen enough Mill Street-payola'd bars go tits up over the past 10 years . i don't recall many craft beer bars closing
Went the other day. It's not the kind of bar that just has entry level craft for the Molbatt crowd. Its certainly not going to have a rotating lineup of rarities, but there's more than enough space for bars that have a really good core line-up and a couple rotating taps (in this case it looked to be Beaus and GLB).

Its a decent place. I live 5 minutes walk away so I imagine I'll go there semi-regularly, especially because a 45 minute trip to Bar Hop in the evening significantly eats into time with the kids. Knowing this neighbourhood, I'd bet the house on it being a success. Considering how many great places have opened up in the Greenwood - Coxwell stretch, Coxwell - Woodbine is a desert surrounded by high-income households, which makes no sense whatsoever.

TwoPint - both Morgans and Sarah's have cask. I believe the latter is always Wellington, but Morgans has excellent variety, and for me is a great example of a bar that can have an accessible core line-up as well as enough interest elsewhere for drinkers desiring more. Super food too - my personal favourite.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:... a 45 minute trip to Bar Hop in the evening significantly eats into time with the kids. ... Coxwell - Woodbine is a desert surrounded by high-income households, which makes no sense whatsoever.
I guess a lot of people bought in the area knowing it's a bit of a desert, so perhaps their entertainment habits aren't all that local or there are some devout stay-at-homers who like TV and a six pack.

Not going out as much pays the mortgage faster, too & I'm sure plenty of folks are owing more than owning, given the crazy price jumps and people's appetite to take on big house debt. (Some of my friends put every dollar in their new house or car payment, mind boggling but if that's what they want to do till they're 50 or 60...)

But good subway stops right there in any case, so what gives?
In Beerum Veritas

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Went to the Local the other night. Not a bad draught list and yeah they've got the rotating taps and cask but the cask was Welly Arkell which I thought was a little weird.

Anyway I was more than happy with my pint of Lone Pine and Wild Boar pizza. Classy décor and decent service to boot.

I'd certainly go back but Morgan's and the Wren are at the end of my street so maybe not anytime soon. :)

Great to see the neighbourhood constantly improving. When we bought a place off of Greenwood 3 years ago we had no idea what we were getting into. I don't miss the West side all that much anymore.
^^^Hop-head ^^^