Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Local 1794, 1794 Danforth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

IPA_Lover wrote:Morgan's and the Wren are at the end of my street...
Nice! Good location, Monarch Park.
IPA_Lover wrote:Great to see the neighbourhood constantly improving. When we bought a place off of Greenwood 3 years ago we had no idea what we were getting into. I don't miss the West side all that much anymore.
You got into an under-valued district at a still good time. The valuation jumps in East York, Riverdale/Riverside, Leslieville and Birchcliff have been pretty healthy for years as they are still 'core' areas that were historically overlooked. An 'upward correction' perhaps.

Money aside, I like single-family home living... something nice about a private back yard and the car right outside for loading (assuming that's your case?) This is not something Toronto The Condo is building lots more of, which partly explains the steady demand.

Still love the Central and West, am there lots (often daily!) but don't feel I have to live right off Bellwoods or Roncesvalles to access all the great stuff Toronto has to offer.
In Beerum Veritas

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Fantastic night tonight - went there for the first time. For a Tuesday night is was just about full. About 20 seats at the bar as well if you want to just pull up. Had the Caveman Game Board - wild boar sausage, venison and elk. Very nice ambiance. Highly recommended.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I've been 3 times to this place an am loving it. Outstanding calamari, very tasty pizzas. The food offerings are quite solid here. You can read about it on Yelp.

Since this is a beer board, I'll speak more to that. This place gets a solid B- for craft beer. They have a lot of taps and a proper cask setup. That being said most of their line-up is a bit on the safe side. There's the standard boring Creemore, Okanagan, Mill Street, etc. I don't want to begrudge them that too much. This isn't like BarHop right in the downtown core…this pretty far east, approaching Scarberia, in a place not known for good restaurants let alone craft beer, by and large. So, let's give their less adventurous patrons something to drink.

On the regular line-up they almost always have Lone Pine IPA, Headstock, and Detour. On the rotating side they have a Beau's guest and a GLB guest. I had one of the first few Beau's beers I've actually enjoyed here, Beau's Wag the Wolf. They have some moderately adventurous bottles like the Mikkeller beers, although given that they're almost triple the LCBO prices, I doubt they'll fly off the shelves. They have quite a nice Scotch collection and their prices seem plausible reasonable given the insane price of scotch in Ontario.

Anyway, with a little help and encouragement from us beer nerds, I hope they up their beer program in the long run. In the meantime, check it out, enjoy the food and service, and proceed onto the Wren or The Only for additional craft beer needs.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I live in the area and have been twice. Once was a big family affair so I got to see a wide range of the menu choices. I would agree that by and large, the food is well done. This is definately a neighborhood place, I saw a few of my neighbours out on date night so I think they have the level of craft enthusiasm pegged right. Great place to have a burger and an IPA.

One beef about the place is that it only opens at 3 pm. For understanding the neighborhood, they seem to be missing out on a lot of people with kids that would enjoy going out for lunch on the weekend. At least 10 times since it's opened I have considered that option, remembered the 3 pm opening and went to Morgans or Sarahs.

That strip of the Danforth is rounding into shape. I see that the place two doors west of Morgans (I think it will be called the Dylan bar) looks like the reno is well advanced.