Xingu on tap... in Toronto!

Post your own brewpub, pub and restaurant reviews here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

DAN-D-MAN
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Xingu on tap... in Toronto!

Postby DAN-D-MAN » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I was at Sin and Redemption on Tuesday and they just kegged this Brazilian black lager. It's not even on their beer menu yet.

As far as I know, this is the first appearance of Xingu in Canada.

I don't understand why it's rated so low on RateBeer... I love this brew! I drink it in copious quantities and bring several back when I visit Houston. I still have a few bottles from my last trip in November. It ages well too.

Anyone know if this was brought in by Peter from Esprit Agencies? I got a Xingu T-shirt from him years ago.

If you see this on tap anywhere else in the city, please post here. Thanks.
User avatar
TwoPint
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 am
Location: at large

Postby TwoPint » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Xingu in kegs has been on the Beer Store website for weeks now.
esprit
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Esprit Agencies-Toronto

XINGU

Postby esprit » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am

We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: XINGU

Postby atomeyes » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 am

esprit wrote:We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.


but...Dan-D-Man says that it is a cellerable lager!!!
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Re: XINGU

Postby liamt07 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 am

atomeyes wrote:
esprit wrote:We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.


but...Dan-D-Man says that it is a cellerable lager!!!

Ah yes, the schwarzbier. Long famed for it's ability to grow and develop in the cellar.
DAN-D-MAN
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby DAN-D-MAN » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:38 am

I love the sarcasm!

I had a Xingu aged three years the other day and it tasted great. So, I don't see why it would not last 5 to 10 years.

Heck, I still have several bottles of Black Oak's 10 Bitter Years from the first year it was produced and a DIPA is likely not the best aging beer either.

I had a 650ml bottle of Heineken that I was going to give to a friend of mine who loves the brew when she bought her condo but I never got around to it. Six years later, I finally decide to give the bottle to a neighbour who also likes Heineken and he said it tasted fine.

The point is, who gives a sh!t about style. As long as you keep your bottles in a dark place, they should age fine.

Keep an open mind people!
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Postby atomeyes » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm

we agree to disagree.
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
liamt07
Bar Fly
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Downsview/Toronto

Postby liamt07 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm

DAN-D-MAN wrote:I love the sarcasm!

I had a Xingu aged three years the other day and it tasted great. So, I don't see why it would not last 5 to 10 years.

Heck, I still have several bottles of Black Oak's 10 Bitter Years from the first year it was produced and a DIPA is likely not the best aging beer either.

I had a 650ml bottle of Heineken that I was going to give to a friend of mine who loves the brew when she bought her condo but I never got around to it. Six years later, I finally decide to give the bottle to a neighbour who also likes Heineken and he said it tasted fine.

The point is, who gives a sh!t about style. As long as you keep your bottles in a dark place, they should age fine.

Keep an open mind people!


DAN-D-MAN aka DAN-NOT-D-MAN

Drink your beer fresh, folks.
PeenSteen
Bar Fly
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby PeenSteen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Never heard of this beer before
Last edited by PeenSteen on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Good Pub Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron