Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Xingu on tap... in Toronto!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

Xingu on tap... in Toronto!

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I was at Sin and Redemption on Tuesday and they just kegged this Brazilian black lager. It's not even on their beer menu yet.

As far as I know, this is the first appearance of Xingu in Canada.

I don't understand why it's rated so low on RateBeer... I love this brew! I drink it in copious quantities and bring several back when I visit Houston. I still have a few bottles from my last trip in November. It ages well too.

Anyone know if this was brought in by Peter from Esprit Agencies? I got a Xingu T-shirt from him years ago.

If you see this on tap anywhere else in the city, please post here. Thanks.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Xingu in kegs has been on the Beer Store website for weeks now.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

esprit wrote:We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.
but...Dan-D-Man says that it is a cellerable lager!!!

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

atomeyes wrote:
esprit wrote:We had a general listing of XINGU in 650ml bottles about 20 years ago. It was a disaster. I met with the new owners of the brand about 2 years ago and it did not go well. This beer from Brazil is actually brewed in Belgium. It's a fake and a marketing ploy and the beer isn't very good.
but...Dan-D-Man says that it is a cellerable lager!!!
Ah yes, the schwarzbier. Long famed for it's ability to grow and develop in the cellar.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I love the sarcasm!

I had a Xingu aged three years the other day and it tasted great. So, I don't see why it would not last 5 to 10 years.

Heck, I still have several bottles of Black Oak's 10 Bitter Years from the first year it was produced and a DIPA is likely not the best aging beer either.

I had a 650ml bottle of Heineken that I was going to give to a friend of mine who loves the brew when she bought her condo but I never got around to it. Six years later, I finally decide to give the bottle to a neighbour who also likes Heineken and he said it tasted fine.

The point is, who gives a sh!t about style. As long as you keep your bottles in a dark place, they should age fine.

Keep an open mind people!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

we agree to disagree.
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

DAN-D-MAN wrote:I love the sarcasm!

I had a Xingu aged three years the other day and it tasted great. So, I don't see why it would not last 5 to 10 years.

Heck, I still have several bottles of Black Oak's 10 Bitter Years from the first year it was produced and a DIPA is likely not the best aging beer either.

I had a 650ml bottle of Heineken that I was going to give to a friend of mine who loves the brew when she bought her condo but I never got around to it. Six years later, I finally decide to give the bottle to a neighbour who also likes Heineken and he said it tasted fine.

The point is, who gives a sh!t about style. As long as you keep your bottles in a dark place, they should age fine.

Keep an open mind people!
DAN-D-MAN aka DAN-NOT-D-MAN

Drink your beer fresh, folks.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Never heard of this beer before
Last edited by PeenSteen on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.