Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Brewpub - almost a year later, any thoughts?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Russell v R

Post by Russell v R »

seangm wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote: At the end of the day it's better than a bulk of the generic crappy chain restaurants that dominate the core and touristy areas, but not somewhere I'm eager to return.
The brewpub and barrelhouse are both outsourced by Amsterdam and operated by Urban Dining Group Inc whose portfolio includes Gabby's and Hey Lucy. So yeah, generic crappy chain restaurants is their MO

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Russell v R wrote:
seangm wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote: At the end of the day it's better than a bulk of the generic crappy chain restaurants that dominate the core and touristy areas, but not somewhere I'm eager to return.
The brewpub and barrelhouse are both outsourced by Amsterdam and operated by Urban Dining Group Inc whose portfolio includes Gabby's and Hey Lucy. So yeah, generic crappy chain restaurants is their MO
Ah, well that explains a lot then. I was quite surprised by how little the servers seemed to know about the beer, now it makes a bit more sense. It's too bad since it seems to undermine the experience, but I guess they'll continue to do well just based on location alone.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It still amazes/disappoints me that Amsterdam would contract a business best known for freezer to fryer 'food' and existing mostly as the cheapest place in the 'hood to drink and eat junk while staring at garage sale memorabilia. The real estate Amsterdam has invested in alone should be worth a better follow up, not to mention the brand damage this shoddy tie up could entail. Even I, a pretty loyal customer of their beers, find myself thinking what the hell has happened to their self esteem every time I reach for or order one of their beers.

Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

If anyone was thinking of heading down this weekend, be aware that it might be a tad smokey. :o

https://www.cp24.com/news/dumpster-fire ... -1.6582471

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

skaghevn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:05 pm If anyone was thinking of heading down this weekend, be aware that it might be a tad smokey. :o

https://www.cp24.com/news/dumpster-fire ... -1.6582471
Dumpster fire? So the kitchen is closed? :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.