Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Louis Cifer Brew Works - 417 Danforth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Louis Cifer Brew Works - 417 Danforth

Post by atomeyes »

http://www.louisciferbrewworks.com/

Website claims a Fall 2014 opening.

it's august and they've just started looking for a chef.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Ferrari parking will be free with a $160 ticket.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Hey neat, that's actually one of the buildings we talked about when we had that thread about where to put a new brewery in Toronto a while back. Hopefully it's better than all the supper clubs that died in that spot before it.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Gosh I hope they've got something to back that gimmick up. If they don't, they're going to look really silly.
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Gosh I hope they've got something to back that gimmick up. If they don't, they're going to look really silly.
Don't forget the "innovative premium quality craft beer." Frankly that bland phrase doesn't tell me a lot about their overall product, who are they marketing to besides the inevitable Danforth crowd spilling in?
In Beerum Veritas

sassyirishgirl

Post by sassyirishgirl »

Hey gang, Erin here (Owner of Stout Irish Pub), Louis Cifer Brew Works is our next project. Happy to answer any questions you guys have.

You're right, we don't want to look really silly! javascript:emoticon(':D') So, We have a young, new, beautiful brewer coming on board named Christine Nagy. She just one TAPS Golden Boot award upon graduation top of her class at Niagara College. We've been working on some fantastic recipes and she has a flair for unique one-offs and has an adventurous pallet. So we're excited to get the program going.

Regarding the chef, we have been trying to find the perfect experienced candidate for us for 2 months now. It's really tough to find the kind of experience and personality we want. So if you hear of anyone, send them my way! We are looking for a chef AND kitchen manager.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.
-Erin@stoutirishpub.ca :D

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Neat. I love it when beer bars make the transition to being breweries. Nice to see another female head brewer in the business too. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is at Granite. Good luck!

sassyirishgirl

Post by sassyirishgirl »

squeaky wrote:Neat. I love it when beer bars make the transition to being breweries. Nice to see another female head brewer in the business too. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is at Granite. Good luck!

You can read more about it here! http://canadianrestaurantnews.com/canad ... from-stout

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Good article. I'm officially excited. We really need something like this on the Danforth.

(EDIT: Specifically I mean on the Danforth where I can walk to...)
Last edited by sstackho on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

So many good beer bars out east end that I never visit. Feel like I need to take a "vacation" over there one day...! Especially is this new place is going to have their own root beer. Seriously...brewery root beer offerings are too limited here in Ontario.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sassyirishgirl wrote:Hey gang, Erin here (Owner of Stout Irish Pub), Louis Cifer Brew Works is our next project. Happy to answer any questions you guys have.

You're right, we don't want to look really silly! javascript:emoticon(':D') So, We have a young, new, beautiful brewer coming on board named Christine Nagy. She just one TAPS Golden Boot award upon graduation top of her class at Niagara College. We've been working on some fantastic recipes and she has a flair for unique one-offs and has an adventurous pallet. So we're excited to get the program going.

Regarding the chef, we have been trying to find the perfect experienced candidate for us for 2 months now. It's really tough to find the kind of experience and personality we want. So if you hear of anyone, send them my way! We are looking for a chef AND kitchen manager.

The brew lady's palate sounds like an inspired won. Looking forward to what she does.

Chef-wise you might like to find out who worked the kitchen at Duggan's a while back when the excellent menu was fully worked out, some very good food.
In Beerum Veritas

sassyirishgirl

Post by sassyirishgirl »

Belgian wrote:
sassyirishgirl wrote:Hey gang, Erin here (Owner of Stout Irish Pub), Louis Cifer Brew Works is our next project. Happy to answer any questions you guys have.

The brew lady's palate sounds like an inspired won. Looking forward to what she does.

Chef-wise you might like to find out who worked the kitchen at Duggan's a while back when the excellent menu was fully worked out, some very good food.
Thanks for the idea. Now how do I find him?

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

It's open!

We visited tonight.

The place looks great. A decent selection of Ontario craft brewers and around 4 of their own. Around 20 in total, I think.

We tried their IPA and Liaison, which was described as a cross between a saison and IPA. I found these to be less hop-forward than I prefer, but these were contract brewed somewhere so I will try them again when they are brewed in-house. Also tried a Left Field Amarillo something-or-other and that was really good.

Food was your expected upscale pub food. I had the fish and chips and enjoyed it. Wife had the ale and onion soup (delicious, or perhaps just really salty - I'm fine either way) and mussels - both good. Not a particularly adventurous menu, but good enough to bring me back again.

The place is very kid friendly - a plus for me but perhaps a minus for you. A basic kids menu and a treasure box for the well behaved on their way out. Our server made the kids feel very welcome.

Growlers of everything on tap (or so I as told) will be available soon, but not yet.

Overall, a very welcome addition to the neighbourhood.

Some of the beers available:

Louis Cifer Lager, IPA, Blonde, Liaison
Great Lakes 666, Pumpkin
Nickelbrook Gluten Free
Railway City Dead Elephant
Central City Red Racer Pale
Pommies Dry Cider
Cameron's Roggen
Church-Key Mead
Barley Days Oyster Stout
Left Field Prospect Series Amarillo
Liberty Village something
St Ambroise something

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

This is very close to me. I went by tonight to check it out.

Tried the Liason and IPA. According to the bartender, the Liason is a saison/lager hybrid (?). Brewed with a lager yeast, tastes to me like it is a significant amount of wheat with some spices added. Surprisingly sweet (problematically so), with a bubblegum flavour, along with the spices. Better than I feared when it was described to me, but I didn't finish my glass and I would not have it again.

The IPA was worse. Apparently Cascade is one of the main hops used, but I wouldn't have known this without being told. Pretty lightly hopped with a surprising amount of sweetness. I don't know if this comes from the malt or some additive, but it was not in keeping with an IPA in my view- British or American. A disappointing beer.

The bartender was very nice and it is nice to have a beer-centered bar nearby, so I hope it does well. I will certainly give their beers another go but my first visit wasn't promising.
Ren

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Sounds like rookie season
Will wait at least a few months before I go
Thx ren