Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Louis Cifer Brew Works - 417 Danforth

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Four of us decided to pay a visit this weekend.

we didn't have food. wondered about the brewery-sponsored child-menueque sampler placements from your other bar, Stout. presentation was sloppy (most bars go the other direction and have hand-carved wooden paddles).
no head or carbonation in any beer. lager (what kind of lager?) and kolsch tasted generically similar. IPA was disgusting (parm cheese and creamy mouthfeel). the stout was the best of the beer and it was fine. nothing exceptional, not bad. just fine.
the beer don't even have creative or inspiring names. it's just "IPA", "Bock", etc on the menu. if you want to go that route, then what kind of IPA is it? west coast IPA? english? etc.
music was...a strange 80s mix. that plus the acoustics made it sound muddy in there.
Lights are dims (no issues with that) so i can't comment on beer's appearance.
bathroom signs were odd and inappropriate.
beer kiosk at the front is also strange. pre-filled growlers are doneat Mill st as well, so i don't have an issue per se. but it kind of doesn't make good use of the growler fill station nor would it attract restaurant patrons to grab a growler since they don't see/hear anyone having it filled.
on the positive side: we didn't take a close look, but the copper on the system looked nice.

none of us finished any of our beer. out of the 4 of us, i was the least negative (surprise!). but the beer tasted like something made out of an extract kit with very little thought or passion put into it. and that goes into the branding of the beer. one just as generic as the next. and maybe that's LC knowing their target audience? i don't know. but i'm thinking our group's not the target audience.