Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hungry Brew Hops (Newmarket)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

schomberger

Hungry Brew Hops (Newmarket)

Post by schomberger »

I've now been to this gastropub about 8 or 9 times since it opened in the early spring. The beer selection (24 taps) is amazing for a location north of Eglinton and would still be solid / very good in TO's core. The interior is modern and rustic at the same time, and includes a massive vault at the back of this former bank.

My highlite staples of the tap list include Audry Hopburn, Ommegang Saison, Wiehenstephaner Heffe, Detour, Naughty Neigbour, Boneshaker and Wellington RIS. The two guest taps were more interesting in the spring with the likes of Apocalypse Later, Thrust and Karma, though the second guest seems to be owned by Beau's. As of last week both guest taps were pretty mediocre; personally, I think these taps should be reserved for special beer, such as GLB Tank 10 series. I'm really hoping this is not a permanent trend, but besides the disappointing guest taps Mad Tom, Headstock and Flying Monkies Black IPA have all disappeared since the early months as well.... The rest of the tap line up is more or less pedestrian, geared more towards introducing patrons to craft.

The food is really tasty / interesting, though on the smallish and pricy side, but kicks in comparison to other pubs in this region.

Overall, if you live between Orangeville, Barrie, Uxbridge and Richmond Hill, this place is worth a regular visit.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Only a few minutes away. Glad to have this place in town, the odd hipster notwithstanding.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Really hope they are not dumbing down the taps. Will have to get in there again soon
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

They are doing a Nickelbrook Cask night tomorrow, a couple months ago Stonehammer was in with 3 gravity casks.

Really enjoying having a decent bar so close to home
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole