Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Stone Lion, 1958 Queen E.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

The Stone Lion, 1958 Queen E.

Post by TwoPint »

Lion On The Beach served its last pint on Sunday, September 28. Our waitress told us that the Lion was going to be re-invented. It was promptly disassembled and a sign in the window promised a mid-October re-opening. Another sign went up advertising the unwieldy URL www.UrbanJungleBeachCafeBistroPub.com. That redirects to a Facebook page for The Stone Lion. It promises a soft opening on the 16th and the grand opening on the 31st. No other details as yet.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

That is a completely ridiculous choice for a URL. Especially when thestonelionpub.com (and probably many variations on that) is available.

Hopefully the revamped bar itself will be better. I don't make it out to that end of town very often, but aside from Castro's, the beer scene is pretty dire along that stretch.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

While I agree that's a stupid name especially if the place actually isn't named that but how unwieldy or ridiculous is it when most people click or tap on links rather than type it in?
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:I don't make it out to that end of town very often, but aside from Castro's, the beer scene is pretty dire along that stretch.
Castro's in the Beach stands out like the proverbial diamond in a goat's ass. Let's hope the Leslieville/Riverdale influence continues to move east.

People here (self excluded) have more money than sense, plus lots of younger people and students, yet such a poor scene overall... why? I'd like to speak to people in the business associations.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't know what this Leslieville/Riverdale influence you're talking about is supposed to do. We finally got a beer bar a few years back in the Avro and it died out in a hurry.

What you really want is the Danforth crowd to find it's way South. Lots of good options up there.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

It's the owners of The Olde Stone Cottage pub. Lotsa Molson products

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Thanks for all the love to Castro's! We're glad BT'ers still remember us ;)

Yes, we're in a wasteland in terms of craft beer, and yes, I doubt this will make it any better, unfortunately, but I could be wrong. I hope I am. Some of the old servers came round last week for drinks after they closed and it sounds like most of them are gone. The owners are the Stone Cottage folks, who definitely have access to money and a wealth of experience running a successful pub, so it should at least look good on the inside, and as a bar should be successful.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I don't know what this Leslieville/Riverdale influence you're talking about is supposed to do.
When that happens I am expecting increased night activity, cool new places to go out and a local enthusiasm to support them. Oh, and a magical forest with happy smiling trees that instead of leaves have licorice laces & gumdrops.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I was with you right up until the liquorice. Heck, you had me even to the r, but you lost me at I.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

chris_schryer wrote:Thanks for all the love to Castro's! We're glad BT'ers still remember us ;)
Whenever we're in the Beaches, which admittedly isn't a lot, we always make a stop at Castro's. It's a nice break from walking or rollerblading around the area.
lister