Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Habits to be nano brewing

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Habits to be nano brewing

Post by northyorksammy »

http://www.habitsgastropub.com/

starting with a saison
can this wife and hubby brew?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

northyorksammy wrote:http://www.habitsgastropub.com/

starting with a saison
can this wife and hubby brew?
I'm sure groulxsome will chime in soon with his story.

Here is the press release: https://nlbeerhistory.files.wordpress.c ... elease.pdf

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

First thing's first. Very odd to presume "wife and hubby" between a two person brewing team... Are Mike and Luke from Bellwoods often presumed to be a couple? In short, we are not.

Second, I'm (Chris) happy to answer any questions about the project. We've been working hard to pilot our saison all summer. We have a "walk before you run" philosophy for our brewing, so you won't be seeing, um, random whatever spiced/fruited saisons from us very often. Simple and crisp. Somewhere between Dupont and Stillwater Classic is the a way to describe it. It's what we like to drink and Ontario is lacking a year-round, well-priced saison, so that's why we're brewing it (and it goes fantastically with some of Habit's great food). We hope to add a second brand soon after we open, but, again, we're taking things slow and emphasizing quality over experimentation or variety.

But to answer the first question, I really hope we can brew!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Hey, Chris. Best of luck with the project. I have to admit I've never been to Habits, but will be sure to drop by some time once the nano brewery is up. What craft beers does Habits carry on draught, do you know? There is no indication on the web site. It looks like they have a superior whiskey collection though.

jcc

Post by jcc »

groulxsome wrote:But to answer the first question, I really hope we can brew!
As someone who has done this, don't be stupid enough (I was) to tell the city what you are doing or else you won't be brewing until you get cleared by the committee of adjustment and an army of building inspectors. Looking forward to trying your brew, I'm sure you can brew, the city be damned.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

The tap list at Habits is currently about 8-10 taps of Ontario craft. Standards like Steamwistle and Beau's are complemented with a somewhat rotating Nickelbrook tap (it was either the Berliner or the Saison all summer), a Flying Monkeys tap (their Imperial pumpkin a few weeks back), a Wellington tap (Imperial Stout), a Spearhead tap... and a couple more that I'm surely forgetting. The point is, their tap list is very good. Much better that a lot of places with good food (it is a Gastropub) around town. Hoping when we get the nano in we can also get the tap list online to better showcase other rotating taps.

And as for brewing. No wort preparation of any kind can happen until all the permits are in place. Shouldn't be too much longer... hopefully!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

groulxsome wrote:Hoping when we get the nano in we can also get the tap list online to better showcase other rotating taps.!
Yes, do this. It's really not hard to have a systme that can take 2 minutes to keep up to date on your website. Too many places overlook this.

If I don't see a "beer" menu on a website, or it is sadly out of date, I often (not always) look elsewhere.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Simple tweets as new beers come on rotating taps work well too!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

A Tweet with a picture works nicely too. That photo then can be published to the web site.

I've lost count of the number of times a food special and/or drink(s) have been Tweeted and I decided a change of plans was in order.
lister

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

lister wrote:A Tweet with a picture works nicely too. That photo then can be published to the web site.

I've lost count of the number of times a food special and/or drink(s) have been Tweeted and I decided a change of plans was in order.
This helps. if a place is highly active on twitter a simple tweet saying "X beer now on tap" won't really help...as it could get buried in tweets easily.

Any kind of effort is appreciated though.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Ok, I was at Habits last night and did some recon work on the tap list. We were chatting with the owners about improving the list a little and posting the list more frequently. Again, this will happen more as we get in and start brewing. We've just got our last big bit of equipment, so now it's down to licensing.

Habits Gastropub Tap List:
- Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbor
- Cameron's RPA
- Beau's Lug Tread
- Amsterdam Boneshaker
- Flying Monkey's Stereo Vision
- Spearhead Moroccan Brown
- Steamwistle Pilsner
- Stone Hammer Dark
- Delirium Tremens
- Nickel Brook Le Paysan Saison (Special $5 pints! This will be the Habits Saison when it's ready)

Anyway, the pub has an open kitchen and you can easily see the brewing system from the pub. And, again, we are hoping to improve the tap list as we get the nano side of things underway!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nothing wrong with that selection...look forward to stopping by in the future!

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice.
:D

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice.
:D