Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Private Order

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Cagiva650 wrote:Rogue Chocolate Stout and Chimay? Now you have my mouth watering!
I have been searching for more bottles of those on all my travels. The Chimay Ales seem to be more common than the Rogue products. I may have to fly to Oregon :)
Since you're in NL, Halifax is much closer - and has both of those available. The Chocolate Stout doesn't last long on the shelves (at Premier Wine and Spirits) though. Chimay Blue and Red are readily available at the NSLC.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
Yes better drinkers but also pretty darn good at performing yoga while drinking.

Wow. I'd no idea Yogi Beera looked like that, she is so hot. Owie! TSSSS!

The 'yogi' shown in example # 2 clearly will wake up with a stiff neck, though he is trying very hard for correct form as shown in example # 1.

In Beerum Veritas

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

[/quote]Since you're in NL, Halifax is much closer - and has both of those available. The Chocolate Stout doesn't last long on the shelves (at Premier Wine and Spirits) though. Chimay Blue and Red are readily available at the NSLC.[/quote]

Rogue Chocolate Stout is available in Halifax?
Thats great! I'm going to visit my brother in Shearwater this coming weekend. Where in Halifax/Dartmouth would I find it?
I knew about the Chimay Ales being available in Nova Scotia. It was mentioned in a booklet I picked up from the NSLC store at the Halifax airport last month.
We are also planning to sample a few of the "John Shippey's" products.
I love stouts and porters. Is there a good stout available at one of the brew pubs in Halifax? We can get the Propeller Porter here in NL. Its very good.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cagiva650 wrote:We are also planning to sample a few of the "John Shippey's" products.
That'll be pretty tough to do, since Shippey's closed down almost a year ago...
Cagiva650 wrote:I love stouts and porters. Is there a good stout available at one of the brew pubs in Halifax?
Keefe's Irish Stout is good at the Toronto location of the Granite, so it's probably good at the Halifax location as well.

Sadly, when I visited Rogue's Roost last year, they didn't have any of their stouts or porters on tap, but I really enjoyed their Bulldog Brown Ale.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

"That'll be pretty tough to do, since Shippey's closed down almost a year ago... "

My brother was told by a guy at the former John Shippey's location that they would be re-opening in June. We'll run by and check it out. I'll report back
:wink:

Keefe"s Irish Stout? Sounds like my kind of stuff. I'll have to give it a try, Thanks!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Cagiva650 wrote:"That'll be pretty tough to do, since Shippey's closed down almost a year ago... "

My brother was told by a guy at the former John Shippey's location that they would be re-opening in June. We'll run by and check it out. I'll report back
:wink:

Keefe"s Irish Stout? Sounds like my kind of stuff. I'll have to give it a try, Thanks!
The landlord at Shippey's old location has been trying to rent out the space including all the equipment, but it definitely won't be the same brewer. I don't expect they would be able to keep the Shippey's name either. But hey, I'll take a new brewpub.

There are still some beers with the Shippey's name available in Halifax at the Split Crow and at Dr. Sharp's in Bedford, but they are currently rebadged Propeller beers. Perhaps the company that owns these places is restarting the brewery, but that wouldn't make any sense given they walked away from the lease less than a year ago becasue of landlord problems.

The Rogue beers are available at Premier Wine and Spirits on Dresden Row just off Spring Garden Road. In the same building as the downtown Pete's Fruitique.

If you go to Ginger's (The Granite Brewery pub here in Halifax) you'l find both Keefe's Irish Stout and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout form McAuslan. Henry House (the former Granite Brewery location) should have both of those plus Propeller Porter. And Rogue's Roost should have it's Oatmeal Stout on now. They usually have one of the Oatmeal, Imperial, or Peated Porter on.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I just got back from a great trip to Halifax.
Sadly "John Shippey's" brewery is indeed dead.
My brother and I sampled the Keefe's Stout at "Gingers", was very nice.
The "Rogue's Roost" didn't have stout of any kind on tap (they may have had Guinness, I can't remember) but there was an excellant brown ale that was almost as dark as a porter. Very smooth flavourful ale with a clean finish, I liked it a lot. The Propeller Porter on tap at the "Old Triangle" was as good as the bottled version that I'm a big fan of. I never had time to get to the Propeller Brewery to buy a growler like I had planned, but I had to leave something as an excuse to go back. :)
I had no idea that "Premier Wines and Spirits" was a privately owned business. We were looking for an NSLC location with that name when a very helpful young lady in the Port Of Wines set us on the correct path. I didn't know privately owned liquor stores existed outside of Alberta. What a great place. I bought every bottle of Rogue Chocolate Stout in the place (only three bottles there :cry: ) Lots of interesting beers there to try.
I also brought home a six pack of the McAuslan's Apricot Wheat Ale but haven't tried it yet. "Maxwell's Plum" had the McAuslan's Oatmeal Stout on tap but my pint was sour. The advertise 60 beers on tap but I wonder how many they sell regularly?
A very brief trip to Halifax. Over on Friday morning, back again Sunday afternoon, but Nova Scotia always enjoyable.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That's interesting ... I was in Maxwell's Plum too a few months back but found it quite disappointing. Loved the rest of Halifax though.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

FYI, there are private stores in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta (all of them) and B.C. so you are not necessarily limited to government monopoly stores in Canada. In fact, if you count BRI and Canadian wine stores, Ontario also has independent stores.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Cagiva650 wrote:... a very helpful young lady in the Port Of Wines ...
Amazing how just a couple years ago this would have been an incredibly odd experience at a government store. The model NS is using seems to be slowly improving things. There are 3 other private stores in Halifax, but Premier is the only one with a beer selection that is both unique and has some quantity. The others have one or two different things but focus on wine.

Maxwell's is definitely about quantity moreso than quality. They get whatever they can just for the sake of having it.

They've just turned the Shippey's Brewery into a bar. Apparently the landlord is asking way too much for anyone to be able to make a go of it leasing both the space and equipment.
esprit wrote:FYI, there are private stores in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta (all of them) and B.C. so you are not necessarily limited to government monopoly stores in Canada. In fact, if you count BRI and Canadian wine stores, Ontario also has independent stores.
I believe Newfoundland also allows beer sales in private stores in the same way as Quebec.

frosken

Post by frosken »

esprit wrote:FYI, there are private stores in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta (all of them) and B.C. so you are not necessarily limited to government monopoly stores in Canada. In fact, if you count BRI and Canadian wine stores, Ontario also has independent stores.
Bobbyok wrote: I believe Newfoundland also allows beer sales in private stores in the same way as Quebec.
You are correct. While I was on the 'Rock' last summer, I "enjoyed" all the 'different brands' of Molson/Labatt beers (Black Horse, Blue Star, India, Dominion, Jockey Club, etc. etc. etc.)...and then there's Quidi Vidi :D

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

esprit wrote:Finally, both the Chimay and Rogue orders have been placed but it was like pulling teeth to get the LCBO to put them through. Rogue is probably about 3 weeks away and Chimay about 4-5 weeks.
Does anyone know the status of the Rogue order? According to Peter’s post it should have been in a month ago. I hope this is not going to be another one of Peter’s Rogue orders that never shows up :cry:

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Peter, I see that the Dead Guy has started hitting the LCBO shelves, and so assume that the Rogue private order is in the warehouse, but would appreciate an update as to the status of the order when you get the chance.

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

Is anyone else still waiting to receive their Rochefort and Chimay orders? I know it can take a while, but it's been about 4 weeks and I am getting thirsty.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Raisy wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to receive their Rochefort and Chimay orders?
My Chimay order arrived last Tuesday in Kanata.