Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

private order #2?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

flip

Post by flip »

I'm willing to help.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Things are a little less hectic now so I'm going to contact Sylvia at the LCBO and ask for some quotes. Based on the responses in the thread so far, it looks like the most interest was for the following six breweries:

- Three Floyds
- Bear Republic
- Bells
- Alesmith
- Hair of the Dog
- Anderson Valley

I've tried to get a quote from Bell's before but they said they weren't interested and someone else mentioned that Alesmith declined, so I'm going to ask for the other four. Based on what we hear back, we can pick the next two orders and separate them by 6 or 8 weeks.

I'll ask for quotes on the following products:

Three Floyds
- Alpha King
- Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
- Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
- which others? the list on ratebeer is long...

Bear Republic
- Racer 5
- Red Rocket Ale
- Special XP Pale Ale
- Hop Rod Rye
- Big Bear Stout
- Pete Brown's Tribute Ale

Hair of the Dog
- Adam
- Fred
- Rose
- Ruth
- Doggie Claws
- 351ml, 1.5 litre, and 3 litre sizes as available

Anderson Valley
- Hop Ottin IPA
- Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
- Boont ESB
- Deependers Dark Porter
- High Rollers Wheat Beer
- Winter Solstice
- Brother Davids Double
- Brother Davids Triple
- 12 and 22 oz sizes as available

Let me know if there are any other beers to be added to these lists. I'd like to send the request off on Wednesday or Thursday.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

3 floyds behomoth barleywine

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

inertiaboy wrote:I'll ask for quotes on the following products:

Three Floyds
- Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
-- which others? the list on ratebeer is long...
Probably not much point in asking about Dark Lord. They only sell it in bottles once a year and it sells out in a matter of hours, even with a half case maximum this year.

Others sold in bottles that I'm aware of:
Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale
Pride and Joy Mild Ale
Behemoth Barley Wine (also might be a limited availability release)
Rabbid Rabbit Saison
Black Sun Stout
Brian Boru Irish Red
Alpha Kong (Belgian Strong)
Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter
Gumballhead American Wheat

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

In general, most 3Floyds "big beers" are small batch seasonals. You may get lucky and they receive the order the same time they are brewing it, but probably not.

I believe the only regular beers are Alpha King, Robert the Bruce, Pride and Joy, and Xtra Pale.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

A wrote:In general, most 3Floyds "big beers" are small batch seasonals. You may get lucky and they receive the order the same time they are brewing it, but probably not.

I believe the only regular beers are Alpha King, Robert the Bruce, Pride and Joy, and Xtra Pale.
According to beeradvocate, Dreadnaught is brewed year round as well.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I got a response from the LCBO today about Bear Republic: "the Supplier informed us that they are not interested in filling private orders."

Still waiting on the other quotes.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

That's too bad, I wonder if they feel it would be a small order so they don't want to bother.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I say if we can't get any of the ones we are after we could try another run of Great Divide... ALthough I wish I got myself some Hop Ottin - it's been a while.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

There's a ton of microbrewers out there, and I'm sure we can find a good one that will satisfy everyone.

Let's keep up the good fight...especially now that the LCBO, in their infinite idiocy, made the unconscionable decision not to list the 60 Minute full-time. Bastards.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Manul wrote:I say if we can't get any of the ones we are after we could try another run of Great Divide...
I am VERY encouraged by the quality of the first order to try a few others, perhaps the Porter and the ESB, regular Yeti, Hercules... hey we should e-mail them props!

(ok here goes):
Dear friends,

I took part in the decent-sized LCBO aggregate order (as part of the BarTowel online community.)

Extremely pleased to have some Titan IPA and Oaked Yeti, exceptional beers we've practically never seen here in Toronto, Ontario.

Would love to do this again & try more of your excellent Great Divide beers. Thanks for handling this private order (and the somewhat finicky LCBO) to the benefit of we beer afficionados in Toronto!

Cheers & keep up the fine craft... JK
Wonder how many of these American small brewers know the GD order went fairly well. Maybe we could privately e-mail brewers encouraging a no-hassle 70-100 case order, which could be Great Divide again or possible them if they're into it on these favorable terms. What do you think?
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Manul wrote:I say if we can't get any of the ones we are after we could try another run of Great Divide... ALthough I wish I got myself some Hop Ottin - it's been a while.
I might be in if it came back to Great Divide again.

Hercules Double IPA blew me away.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I'd jump in this time for GD. I'd like to try the ESB, maybe the Amber and probably split the Porter with a friend.
lister

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

When it rains, it pours... Just got a note from Sylvia about pricing from Anderson Valley, Three Floyds, and Hair of the Dog:
"In response to your inquiry for the above-mentioned products, unfortunately the suppliers are not sending the pricing information we requested."
Back to square one (and I don't mean Mississauga...). Maybe our approach should be to contact our target brewery directly and see if they are interested in shipping an order to Ontario. Once we have that contact established, then we get the LCBO involved. Anyone want to take the lead on this?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:I'd jump in this time for GD. I'd like to try the ESB, maybe the Amber and probably split the Porter with a friend.
Don't forget the Hercules IIPA, you Hop Fiend...

(Now available in convenient snack size.)
In Beerum Veritas