Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

private order #2?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Don't forget the Hercules IIPA, you Hop Fiend...
But surely kind sir it would be grossly inappropriate and in bad form for me to deprive you and your brethren of that bitter elixir you all love so! Oh how it gives me chills that I still have a DFH 60min in my fridge feeling unloved, unappreciated and sadly spared the joy of passing the connoisseur lips of you hardy drinking lot.
(Now available in convenient snack size.)
(Not convenient enough.)
lister

flip

Post by flip »

inertiaboy wrote:When it rains, it pours... Just got a note from Sylvia about pricing from Anderson Valley, Three Floyds, and Hair of the Dog:
"In response to your inquiry for the above-mentioned products, unfortunately the suppliers are not sending the pricing information we requested."
Back to square one (and I don't mean Mississauga...). Maybe our approach should be to contact our target brewery directly and see if they are interested in shipping an order to Ontario. Once we have that contact established, then we get the LCBO involved. Anyone want to take the lead on this?
I'm willing to contact the above breweries, but I won't be able to do so until after Labour Day: I'm heading out east for a few weeks and won't be back until then. So, unless someone wants to contact them earlier, I'll take care of it.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

bump... I'm thoroughly enjoying the GD Titans, hoping that we don't lose our momentum... What's the latest on this?
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

no update from my end - my last four requests to the LCBO resulted in failure so I'm willing to let someone else take a kick at the can.

Moylan's is next up on the Bieropholie private orders so they are probably willing to ship to Ontario as well. Might be a good place to start.

flip

Post by flip »

I'm in the midst of drafting emails to Three Floyds, Hair of the Dog, Bear Republic and Anderson Valley. They should be dispatched in the next day or so.

If I get a favourable response from any one of them, I'll post and then follow up with the LCBO to see if they can get their act together.
Last edited by flip on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emjay

Post by emjay »

those sound like some nice choices flip... i'd have liked to get some cases from dogfish head, but those would be good too

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

emjay wrote:those sound like some nice choices flip... i'd have liked to get some cases from dogfish head, but those would be good too
Dogfish Head cannot do private orders into Ontario since they are repped here by Esprit.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Would there be any value in a mass purchase through a US store and we all head down to pick up the load and come back together through customs? It seems to me the effort and weeks of delay are a heck of a lot compared to the welcome a shop like Finger Lake Beverages in Ithaca would give us all. Heck, that is a land of many pubs so maybe we make it an overnighter.

[Thinks to self: wow - where do I think I am going to scrape together all the credits I need to actually pull of this plan myself?]

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Al the beerblogger wrote:Would there be any value in a mass purchase through a US store and we all head down to pick up the load and come back together through customs? It seems to me the effort and weeks of delay are a heck of a lot compared to the welcome a shop like Finger Lake Beverages in Ithaca would give us all. Heck, that is a land of many pubs so maybe we make it an overnighter.

[Thinks to self: wow - where do I think I am going to scrape together all the credits I need to actually pull of this plan myself?]
I have been thinking of that myself. If only as a political statement.

jkubik

Post by jkubik »

What is the customs charge at the border if done that way?

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

PST+GST+duty+LCBO markup = about 37%

flip

Post by flip »

flip wrote:I'm in the midst of drafting emails to Three Floyds, Hair of the Dog, Bear Republic and Anderson Valley. They should be dispatched in the next day or so.

If I get a favourable response from any one of them, I'll post and then follow up with the LCBO to see if they can get their act together.
Update: I just heard back from Alan Spirits at Hair of The Dog. He said that he'd already handled an order from the LCBO this year. I haven't yet followed up with the LCBO.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

flip wrote:Update: I just heard back from Alan Spirits at Hair of The Dog. He said that he'd already handled an order from the LCBO this year. I haven't yet followed up with the LCBO.
Here's my conspiracy theory: the LCBO didn't actually send out the request for quotes to the four breweries I asked about because they don't want to encourage these types of orders. Instead, they just told me that they didn't get any responses. If you are talking to Alan again, can you ask him if he received a request from the LCBO in July/August?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

flip wrote: Update: I just heard back from Alan Spirits at Hair of The Dog. He said that he'd already handled an order from the LCBO this year. I haven't yet followed up with the LCBO.
Probably Ralphs Volo order?

flip

Post by flip »

JerCraigs wrote:
flip wrote: Update: I just heard back from Alan Spirits at Hair of The Dog. He said that he'd already handled an order from the LCBO this year. I haven't yet followed up with the LCBO.
Probably Ralphs Volo order?
It could be because Alan specifically mentioned the 5 case per product limit...