Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

private order #2?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

private order #2?

Post by inertiaboy »

Now that the LCBO has taken our deposits on the Great Divide order, anyone want to get the ball rolling on a second private order? I think we need two things to get this started:

1) the next brewery to order from. we'll probably need to get a ranking here and try them one-by-one until we get one to agree to deal with the LCBO. I imagine personal contact with the brewery would help here.

2) a volunteer to organize everything. it's actually not a lot of work and I can pass on what little experience I gained from the last one.

Let the suggestions fly!

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Hair of the Dog might be a possibility. The minimum order would have to be 40 cases, but hopefully they would be open to another mixed order like the one Volo received. One benefit to us would be that all the products have already gone through the LCBO lab. I'll look into contacting the brewery if anyone else likes the idea.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

You know one that I was thinking about the other day would be De Dolle from Belgium. I expect that theres enough being shipped from Belgium to make the shipping reasonable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm on board for supporting these fun 'mass purchases', especially belgians and other character products.

I bet Achel Extra products would be freaking awesome, because the regular Achel line is so good.
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Hair of the Dog would be good too, except its pretty hard to drink a case of that stuff in one lifetime :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think Achel is represented by Esprit aren't they?

We should get some Midnight Sun Brewing stuff!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Based on the difficulty that agents have had in the past trying to get Bar Towellers to order full cases of Belgian products, I doubt that there would be enough interest to put together a private order.

(I'm not saying that no Bar Towellers were interested, just that there were a lot fewer than those who joined in on the Great Divide order.)

I think sticking with North American brewers, at least for the next couple of cycles, would be a good idea.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I would like to go for Southern Tier. It's been to Toronto before in small quantities at Volo (just like Great Divide), and it's pretty close geographically, if that means anything to the LCBO.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:I would like to go for Southern Tier. It's been to Toronto before in small quantities at Volo (just like Great Divide), and it's pretty close geographically, if that means anything to the LCBO.
But by the same token we could just as easily set up a bus trip to New York and all go buy some... That said it is a good choice.

How about Bells? Close and very good!

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

JerCraigs wrote:
Cass wrote:I would like to go for Southern Tier. It's been to Toronto before in small quantities at Volo (just like Great Divide), and it's pretty close geographically, if that means anything to the LCBO.
But by the same token we could just as easily set up a bus trip to New York and all go buy some... That said it is a good choice.

Bar Towel weekend--Bell's, Three Floyds, Great Lake, Southern Tier, Premier . . . oops sorry for the hijack.

Back to the topic. Southern Tier is great, but they are very colse geographically, and there are easier ways to procure a case than involving the LCBO. Bell's would be great, but I'd be more inclined to look to California, Oregon, or Washington.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

JerCraigs wrote:

Bells is a good suggestion, imho.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

How about Founders? I recently put in a request for the Breakfast Stout and after the LCBO contacted Founders they were told that it was a seasonal but they would keep my request on file if I want to try again at a later date. So it definitely wasn't a "no". Plus they have so many other excellent beers.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Blankboy wrote:How about Founders? I recently put in a request for the Breakfast Stout and after the LCBO contacted Founders they were told that it was a seasonal but they would keep my request on file if I want to try again at a later date. So it definitely wasn't a "no". Plus they have so many other excellent beers.
I would bet that Breakfast Stout would meet with raised eyebrows what with the word "Breakfast" in its name and the toe headed child on the label digging into his oatmeal :wink:

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I am in. Hair of the Dog, Bear Republic, Anderson Valley in preference to Southern Tier which is very good but a short drive away. New Belgium would be good but they won't sell here even on a special order or so they told me.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I'd go for Stone Brewing but either of Hair of the Dog, Bear Republic, Anderson Valley sounds good too.