Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hair of the Dog Private Order

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

emjay wrote:their other barley wine is 29% abv and very hard to get
No, he's talking about Fred and Doggie Claws - both are listed as Barley Wines on Ratebeer, though Fred isn't called one by the brewer. I've only had Adam so can't really comment on either. Very similar in IBU count, the biggest difference based on description is the inclusion of rye in Fred. Also according to the description, Doggie Claws is only made in the fall with freshly picked hops.

I don't know that Dave, the 29% beer, really qualifies as a barley wine, either, considering its frozen twice to get it to that strength. But other than Eisbock, I don't know what style you would call it.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i've got a few people together, so put me down for a case of each.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

I'll take a case of Doggie Claws.

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

I'll take a case of Ruth

emjay

Post by emjay »

So if I live in Markham I have to pick it up at the queen's quay location?

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

emjay wrote:So if I live in Markham I have to pick it up at the queen's quay location?
No, you'll just have to wait a bit longer until your order is transfered to the local LCBO of your choosing.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

hops are your friend wrote:Thanks for the info. Is there an estimated delivery date to Toronto so I can decide whether to pick it up there (end of November, ideally at the Queens Quay LCBO) or get it sent to Ottawa?
I'd be more than a little shocked if anything showed up by then; I'm assuming I won't see any HotD until January at the earliest.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Put me down for 1 case of Doggie Claws, 1 case of Ruth and 1 case of Fred.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The so-called barley wines:

Fred was done in honour of their local beer writer. It's a very eclectic mix of worldly flavours. Probably closest to a Belgian strong pale (with plenty of spicy byproducts from the yeast & some fruityness too), but with much more bitterness, continental noble hop flavour & a touch of rye. It's a little over-the-top, but I gave it a 4.15 (drinkability brought it down). It'd probably be nicer/smoother/easier with a little age. You could probably enjoy the case over then next 12 years!

The Doggie claws was fairly good (I gave it a 3.9). Plenty of American hop flavour, but surprisingly it's not over-the-top like some American Barley wines. An all-around good beer, just not exceptional.

Unfortunately I'll probably be moving, and I've already got a full cellar to deal with!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Responsible Drinker wrote:Fred ... It'd probably be nicer/smoother/easier with a little age. You could probably enjoy the case over then next 12 years!
I had a bottle of Fred batch #8 a few months ago. I picked it up when the LCBO had it in 1998. It had aged superbly. Definitely one for the cellar.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

inertiaboy wrote:I had a bottle of Fred batch #8 a few months ago. I picked it up when the LCBO had it in 1998. It had aged superbly. Definitely one for the cellar.
Glad to hear patience has its rewards -- got a few in my cellar as well.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Cass/Greg - How about we create a seperate forum for Private Ordering, instead of having to dig through the Random Talk forum, and we can create a few stickies at the top with a Private Order FAQ/ETC...?

I have a whack of beer at the moment, but these private orders are so exciting, will definitely want to get in, who is interested in splitting a few cases?

Adam and Fred both sound very interesting....

Official Hair of the Dog Web Site - Beers Page
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

I am interested in a case of a couple of things, Jer, check your emails to see if we can put a split together.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JWalter wrote:Cass/Greg - How about we create a seperate forum for Private Ordering, instead of having to dig through the Random Talk forum, and we can create a few stickies at the top with a Private Order FAQ/ETC...?
Good idea. I don't have the access to do this, but Cass probably set it up.

And he could delete the horribly outdated Local Beer Lists forum at the same time. :wink:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

OK, I'll replace local beer lists with private ordering, since it never seemed to work out anyway.