Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

KIUCHI BREWERY - Japan

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

mjohnston wrote: Is there a government granted monopoly such that there can only be one agent per product? Do the producers sell only to one agent in Ontario? I don't know how that works.
each producer only has one agent here. that agreement can either be long-term, or per shipment. depends on how the supplier words their agreement with the agent. theoretically, they can change their agent with a letter to the lcbo, but many agents will have some kind of contract with the supplier.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Bobsy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
Garthicus wrote: Yes - the fight against self delusion.
:lol: Good one.

However if we all stand back and look objectively at what Peter was accomplished in the Ontario market we all, to some degree, have to be thankful.
Give me a break, dragon. The guy has coasted on his portfolio and only suceeds because our shitty monopoly is terrified of change, and because only recently has another importer stepped up to the plate. I think esprit likes to be seen as a great crusader for beer, but just because he arrived on the scene first doesn't grant him that title. If he cleaned up his attitude I think he is capable of great stuff, but until he does he's not going to win over many admirers here, at the lcbo or in bars, and that isn't good for the great breweries he represents.

Post of the month

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I actually appreciate when normal Peter decides to share his insight with us about how this whole thing works and his experiences in dealing with the LCBO. He's provided a lot of great insight on this board over the years, as well as great products. What I cannot stand is when this other, um, stupid Peter decides to be quite the belligerent asshole on here, posting nonsense and then ripping every poster in sight who disagrees or calls him out. Or unprofessionally commenting negatively on another agent's business. I just do not get how that is good for business at all. If I treated customers and coworkers like that in my profession I would be out of a job quickly, as would most professionals or business owners.

So some folks can balance that out and continue on dealing him and his products and that's fine - hey, I listen to a lot of great bands whose members are probably assholes in real life and I am able to separate that. Some cannot not, and will not, and that is fine too - maybe a business is different, maybe the quality of person behind the products you spend your money on is important to you. I get it.

But let's save the beer crusader/let's be thankful praise for people who actually deserve it, like the Perry's and Ken's and John's of this beer scene who actually make great beer, or the Volo's/Beer Bistro's/Victory's for providing and promoting great beer, not for a belligerent agent in a government monopoly.

And let's save the inflammatory responses to our stupid Peter troll as well, as they certainly do not advance any discussion I can think of. Or save them for private messages back and forth, I know I still have a couple of wonderfully written ones in my inbox from when Peter has decided to threaten and "reach out" to his customers in the past. :wink:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

To those who think that Peter has only made a few small missteps I suggest that you go back into the archives and search for posts by esprit and rabbit. This is not a recent thing, and I do not believe most of you have grasped the scale and depth to which this farce has continued.

As tupalev posted, if that doesn't bother you and you believe its worth it to buy the excellent brands he carries, go to it. Obviously there are a few people that disagree.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

While it would be nice if forum software like this had twit filters, how hard is it to just ignore Peter's posts and not read them? I understand if newbies get sucked in by his obnoxious though sometimes informative posts but practically everyone here posting their outrage should know better as you've been members here a long time.

A crusade against Peter? Really? Oh to have that much free time on my hands. A personal boycott is one thing, when you start messing around with someone's livelihood on a large scale, you're asking for a lawsuit. Even if it proves to be baseless, all your time and money will be wasted even if you get the $$$ back later when the case is dismissed.
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I have received by far, more positive responses to my recent diatribe than negative. A small minority of bartowellers appear to be very thin-skinned and, as others have suggested, have too much time on their hands. I am what I am and that's all that I am...but someone calling me late last night, with a blocked telephone number, and threatening me and my property physically is over the top. This mindless and cowardly moron tipped the scale for me. I post on bartowel for a variety of reasons. First and foremost is to promote my products, the only reason R & R posts (no doubt this is another slam at a competing agent...so be it). Second, to try to give insights to people about how things work in Ontario. Some of you aren't interested and many are. Finally, to screw with the myopic people with no life and whose only outlet for public comments is this site. How dare you threaten my livlihood over an internet slight. Tell me where you work so I can reciprocate...not likely that I'll get any answers, will I, cause you can hide behind your pseudonyms and make threats and not pay any price for doing so...you are beneath contempt...you all know who I am and where to find me...too many of you hide and just sling mud.
I've had enough and this last threat was the last straw for me....yes, I'm taking my ball and going home just like the little stupid wus that I am. Anyone who wants to be on our mailing list can contact me at espritagencies@sympatico.ca. I will not make any further posts on bartowel so the yahoos needn't be concerned about being slammed in public by me again and can go back to staring at their navels...now let's see the usual suspects wade in on this post as they always have something to say...I have no more to say. Tah-tah and cheers...DRINK GOOD BEER. Again, I thank those of you who have sent me e-mails of support as you get it...some don't..their loss.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I was going to leave this alone but I have to add a final word on this.

Peter's claim that someone called his house to threaten him (which I personally call bullshit on) insinuates, to me, that one of us did it. I was with several of the people who are fed up with his practices in this thread that night and wanted to make it clear that in no way shape or form, was it any one of us. In case someone was thinking it.

Anyways, that's it.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:
I've had enough and this last threat was the last straw for me....yes, I'm taking my ball and going home just like the little stupid wus that I am.
Peter's threatened to abandon us before, so we'll see if the 'rabbit' has really vanished to his hole.

I may be more thick-skinned to Peter's sometimes loose-lipped ramblings (might be the shared Ukrainian gene?) so they kind of rolled off me but I still respect how others may feel, and I too have had to learn a touch of restraint over the years (just don't provoke the Ukie gene.) Certainly one should recognize when a person - anybody - is telling you in some definite way that you need to communicate with this thing called 'empathy' - in fact in business this is part of a golden skill called 'being a good listener.' Yes!! No need to bulldoze over people in life, and shouting at people is the opposite of being quiet & really listening. (I'm actually thinking about my family right now LOL!. * shudder * OK....).

Peter did share useful inside information with the forum and it's a shame was often done in a way that set off some BT members. I do not recall ONE such event from ANY other importer - yet for Esprit it has been a snowball effect of people just getting angrier each time, to the point where he feels blameless to their conditioned responses. That's just the reality here so why even debate the fact.

Also. This is isn't about being a 'wuss' - it's not a fight or giving in or proving who's right. It's about a) chilling out, and b) owning to the effect one has on people. So maybe it's honestly better for Esprit's business if he does follow his decision. There's nothing at all negative about that & he imports good stuff. It is all win-win here.

Back to topic (sorry R & R)

- I picked up some Kiuchi beers in Buffalo & will post notes. Most were 5 bucks, some 6 bucks at Wegmans Premier & Consumers. Not a prohibitive price by any means, compared to beers from places like belgium.

In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

This order was closed and submitted to LCBO Specialty Services some time ago. We have recently been told that at this point they are unable transport the shipment out of Japan due to the unavailability of temperature controlled containers.

We are currently exploring the possibility of moving the shipment through the US. If this is not feasible or too costly, we will have to wait for the warmer weather.

We will keep you posted.

Our sincerest apologies.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell