Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cross- border ordering

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

booze hound

Cross- border ordering

Post by booze hound »

Hey,

I'm down in Halifax, but really want to get my hands on some of the great craft beers in Ontario. I had heard that you can't ship across provincial borders. Is that true, and if so, anyone have any suggestions on how I can get these beers?b

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I'm unsure. I love beers from the East Coast and have to rely on my wife bringing some back when she visits her sister down in Halifax. Luckily for me she has a big suitcase to go with her big heart and likes to make me happy.

They do have Propeller Bitter here but sometimes is hard to find.

It would be good for the entire craft beer industry if regulations were eased so we could more easily enjoy craft beer from around the country. Interesting that it is easier to get craft beer from the US than it is from another province
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Technically, by the word of the law. You are not allowed to ship beer with UPS, Fedex, etc.

It is also illegal to take alcohol cross provincial borders because of the different tax implications. But try and get caught.....

Both of these things happen on a daily basis. Ask pretty much most of Ottawa where they buy their beer. 60% will say that they go to Gatineau at least a couple of times a year.

If you are looking for some Ontario stuff, give me a shout. I can set something up with you. I'd love to try some east coast stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cfrancis wrote: It is also illegal to take alcohol cross provincial borders because of the different tax implications. But try and get caught.....
Yeah! Driving to Montreal, the savings in what I bring back can pretty much pay for the gas of my trip. It's like being paid to go there! The Fed is still getting your money:

"It must be noted however that alcohol sold in Canada is subject to the Federal Excise Tax Act, which contributes greatly to the cost of beverage alcohol."

-Wikipedia

I'm thinking of a small trip out to MTL or Hull over the Xmas break if anybody is out that away. To get a break from the relis in Kingston, LOL.
In Beerum Veritas