Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Howe Sound Private Order

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Howe Sound Private Order

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Keep6 just announced a private order in Ontario for Howe Sound Pothole Filler and Total Eclipse of the Hop.

I can't find the details on their web site (I got an e-mail) but here are the details:

Pothole Filler
Imperial Stout (9.0%) - 12 x 1000mL

Price Per Case: $132.00*
Launch Date: February 22, 2012
Closing Date: March 9, 2012
Availability: Once A Year

Total Eclipse Of The Hop
Imperial IPA (8.0%) - 12 x 1000mL

Price Per Case: $132.00*
Launch Date: February 22, 2012
Closing Date: March 9, 2012
Availability: Once A Year

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

My initial thought was to order a case of Pothole Filler ... until I noticed the 1L bottle size. Now I am having second thoughts.

Drinking 1L of a 9% beer is a little much ...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The bottles are flip tops are crown capped but have fliptops, which I think is cool. A bottle could last you a few days.

What do you guys think of the price point? I'm also considering the stout.

Derek: How much do these typically sell for per bottle in B.C.?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think the high abv one's are $8 a bottle or more at the brewery and/or BCLiquor... the private stores can have a markup on that.

Looks like the Eclipse is $8.50:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/113381

The whole 1L certainly isn't good for the liver on a regular basis, but they're both very drinkable for their strength. Open one at lunch and finish it with dinner?

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Derek, how does the total eclipse compare to amnesiac? Im placing an order, just not sure how much.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

$8.00 in B.C., and 11 bucks here? Seems kinda pricey...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

You will pay 25 a bottle at volo once they get it. Not a bad price considering its a private order and you cant the products here.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Stroonze wrote:You will pay 25 a bottle at volo once they get it. Not a bad price considering its a private order and you cant the products here.
True. Hmmm...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

JeffPorter wrote:$8.00 in B.C., and 11 bucks here? Seems kinda pricey...
Freight companies hired by the LC don't have to worry about being super competitive,
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hmmm... I guess I'm not going to tell you what it cost me to ship my 'cellar' across the country.

I'd say the price is reasonable (maybe only a dollar over the private stores here).

Amnesiac is drier and fairly easy drinking, like a big IPA. TEOTH just seems bigger, though the alcohol is well hidden. It has more of a malt backbone (even more than Tree's DIPA), but it probably has more bitterness than either of them.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

What do you think Derek, about the fliptop? Have you ever left half a bottle for a day or so and went back to it? Was it still ok?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Derek wrote:Hmmm... I guess I'm not going to tell you what it cost me to ship my 'cellar' across the country.
How many bottles did you have? Did you have to ship privately to avoid the worry of the moving company breaking bottles?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'm trying to put something together in the Ottawa area, if you are interested pm me.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

If anyone is looking to fill out a case or two, PM me. Up for 4 of each!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've drank it over a day with no problem and do that with growlers too. I may not like my brews as bubbly as some people though.

Tangent: The moving company wouldn't ship liquids. It was also during the heat of the summer and I have a few valuable bottles of wine, so we went with a refrigerated truck. To be honest, I don't remember the cost... I think I've blocked it from memory.