Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer of the Month Club

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Beer of the Month Club

Post by NRman »

Just saw an ad for this in the edition of July 2012 Taps magazine on page 30, just 3 pages before the centrefold! :o

Normally I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member...
Thoughts? Comments? Musings? Rants? (on the club not the centrefold - start a new thread for that...)

http://www.amazingclubs.ca/beer.html
The Beer of the Month Club is the perfect gift for any beer lover! Each month we'll deliver 12 full-sized bottles of hard-to-find, specialty microbrews from award-winning Canadian and international breweries. Each shipment will include up to four different varieties of premium, hand-crafted beer carefully selected by our experts and brewed in limited quantities by master brewers. We sample hundreds of microbrewed beers every year and only the best-of-the-best become selections of the Beer of the Month Club. We offer 3, 6, and 12-month clubs and a Beer of the Season Club with new selections each spring, summer, fall and winter.

3 Month Club
$49.95 per month ($149.85 total payment)

6 Month Club
$48.95 per month ($293.70 total payment)

12 Month Club
$47.95 per month ($575.40 total payment)

Beer-of-the-Season Club
$49.95 per month ($199.80 total payment) Shipped every 3rd month (4 times a year)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Sounds interesting, but I would want to at least see an example of a month's beer shipment before committing to something like that.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

I sent them an email to get an example of what has been included the past few months.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Going by the photo you can pick out Boulder Beer Never Summer and something from Ybor Gold (Porter?).

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

I remember reading All About Beer magazine 15 years ago and seeing the ads for the various "BoM" clubs there. Going online and seeing that you weren't allowed to subscribe in Canada. This is HUGE for me in concept!

That said, I am with the others who would like to see a list of past deliveries to know whether I would subscribe. I don't relish the thought of getting a mixed pack of Blue, Ex, PBR, and Laker. I never understand why the company doesn't just list that kind of thing on the site. Why do I have to go hunting for it or ask for it expressly?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

They posted on Ratebeer a while back and where mostly met with skepticism. What are they sending you that isn't in the LCBO? They would have to be having stuff imported for them, no?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JerCraigs wrote:They posted on Ratebeer a while back and where mostly met with skepticism. What are they sending you that isn't in the LCBO? They would have to be having stuff imported for them, no?
A very good point.

I've also wondered about consignment orders that are by-the-case? Does it really need to be a single product? If a BOTM club can mix it up, what's stopping K6 from offering a mix of BC brews, or Espirit making their own Belgian selection?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I vaguely remember that there was talk about someone bringing in a Victory mix pack years ago? I can't remember if it was Esprit or someone else, but there were issues brought up at the time, possibly LCBO related?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

There are several BOTM clubs online, I can't recall the few I emailed in the past but I as well was turned down as they wouldn't send into Ontario.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

TheBeeraholic wrote:There are several BOTM clubs online, I can't recall the few I emailed in the past but I as well was turned down as they wouldn't send into Ontario.
Seems this one is the exact opposite. From the website:

"We apologize, but we can only ship to residents of Ontario at this time."

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Peter Collins wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:There are several BOTM clubs online, I can't recall the few I emailed in the past but I as well was turned down as they wouldn't send into Ontario.
Seems this one is the exact opposite. From the website:

"We apologize, but we can only ship to residents of Ontario at this time."
Yeah just saw that, tried calling the contact number on the website to see whats been included in previous shipments. No answer, sent an email to all three address. the corprate@ whatever kicked back so if your going to email send it to the two others.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Tried finding reviews of this club online came across this other website. Also allows you to see past releases

http://www.beermonthclub.com/pastbeernews.htm

Also has a rare beer club

http://www.beermonthclub.com/join-gift.htm

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I beleive this is the same one I emailed this past January, and this is the list they sent me of samples from the past year:

Yuengling Bock Beer - Pennsylvania

Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale - Kelowna, BC

Niagara's Best Dare Devil Red Ale - Niagara Falls, ON

Propeller Pumpkin Ale - Halifax, NS

Bushwakker Palliser Porter - Regina, SK

F & M Brewery StoneHammer Maple Red Ale - Guelph, ON

Fort Garry Dark Ale - Winnipeg, MB

Saint-Arnould La Vlimeuse Amber Ale - Mont Tremblant, QC

Niagara College - Campus Lager, Campus Ale, Niagara, ON

Traquair - Jacobite Ale, House Ale - Scotland

Tree Brewing - Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale, Cutthroat Pale Ale, Kelowna Pilsner – Kelowna, BC

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

xocoatl wrote:I beleive this is the same one I emailed this past January, and this is the list they sent me of samples from the past year:

Yuengling Bock Beer - Pennsylvania

Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale - Kelowna, BC

Niagara's Best Dare Devil Red Ale - Niagara Falls, ON

Propeller Pumpkin Ale - Halifax, NS

Bushwakker Palliser Porter - Regina, SK

F & M Brewery StoneHammer Maple Red Ale - Guelph, ON

Fort Garry Dark Ale - Winnipeg, MB

Saint-Arnould La Vlimeuse Amber Ale - Mont Tremblant, QC

Niagara College - Campus Lager, Campus Ale, Niagara, ON

Traquair - Jacobite Ale, House Ale - Scotland

Tree Brewing - Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale, Cutthroat Pale Ale, Kelowna Pilsner – Kelowna, BC
Meh.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Meh.
Take a look at the past releases for what they consider "Rare" at approx $16 a bottle would anyone consider subscribing to this club?