Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ordering Cantillon through SAQ?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Ordering Cantillon through SAQ?

Post by Craig »

I know several of you have done this in the past. How does it work? Who do you order from? How long did it take? I'm thinking of looking into putting together an order, but I really don't know where to start.

On the off chance someone else is already working on the same thing and don't mid letting me in on the order, please drop me a PM.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I think they are usually through Bieropholie, but from what I can understand (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) The orders are a. wildly popular, and b. do not always get fulfilled. I think the last one was in the fall.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sprague11 wrote:I think they are usually through Bieropholie, but from what I can understand (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) The orders are a. wildly popular, and b. do not always get fulfilled. I think the last one was in the fall.
So I should just hop on their mailing list and hope for the best?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

squeaky wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I think they are usually through Bieropholie, but from what I can understand (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) The orders are a. wildly popular, and b. do not always get fulfilled. I think the last one was in the fall.
I think you need a mailing address in Quebec. You could use a family or friend's address, but you can't order to your Ontario address. That's my understanding anyway.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
squeaky wrote:
I think you need a mailing address in Quebec. You could use a family or friend's address, but you can't order to your Ontario address. That's my understanding anyway.
I can probably work with that.

Wouldn't they just ship it to a SAQ for pickup though?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

They ship to SAQ. You would have to pay an initial fee for a membership though.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

What exactly is the difference between Offices des Grand Crus and Bierophile? Does the former not supply the latter?

Either way, I've ordered maybe 6 cases of Cantillon off Offices des Grand Crus now, as well as a few cases of 3F Geuze. The 3F Geuze is easy and almost always available, the Cantillon comes in sporadically it seems. I placed an order in August last year and it wasn't available until December (no worries, it's not like I was charged anything until I paid shipping). Then just a few weeks ago they sent out an e-mail with new arrivals for March and Cantillon Gueuze was one of them. I ordered a case of 750's and it arrived quickly after they screwed up and sent it to an SAQ in Montreal.

One thing I've noticed, however, is the bottles might not be stored/imported/shipped under proper conditions. Some of them are noticeably off, and I've heard a few rumours Jean is aware and not happy about it (for the record, none of these bad bottles I have were included in the Cantillon FT post I made earlier this year).

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Have no knowledge on this subject but just throwing it out there.. If anyone does order let me know please I will be interested in a case or split case of anything. If need to get multiple cases to fill a minimum that's cool to.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Kekumba wrote:What exactly is the difference between Offices des Grand Crus and Bierophile? Does the former not supply the latter?

Either way, I've ordered maybe 6 cases of Cantillon off Offices des Grand Crus now, as well as a few cases of 3F Geuze. The 3F Geuze is easy and almost always available, the Cantillon comes in sporadically it seems. I placed an order in August last year and it wasn't available until December (no worries, it's not like I was charged anything until I paid shipping). Then just a few weeks ago they sent out an e-mail with new arrivals for March and Cantillon Gueuze was one of them. I ordered a case of 750's and it arrived quickly after they screwed up and sent it to an SAQ in Montreal.

One thing I've noticed, however, is the bottles might not be stored/imported/shipped under proper conditions. Some of them are noticeably off, and I've heard a few rumours Jean is aware and not happy about it (for the record, none of these bad bottles I have were included in the Cantillon FT post I made earlier this year).
Oh nice, the 3F seems to be available right now. I might have to look into that.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

My hard drive crashed a few days ago so I'm kind of flying blind right now. I had a number of people on a waiting list for VIVEN IMPERIAL IPA from Belgium but right now I don't have access to the list. If anyone ordered it, please contact me as it's now available. Also available are 5 cases of VIVEN PORTER (see www.viven.be) if anyone is interested.

Peter
espritagencies@sympatico.ca

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

when you order through Offices des Grand Crus, do you pay in advance or only when the beer shows up at the SAQ? Also, is there any fee for this beside the cost of the beer? (I see some info on their webpage but my french isn't the best)

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

You pay shipping when they confirm your order, and then pay whatever the price of the beer is when you go pick it up. No other fees I don't think. Shipping prices are getting pretty stupid on Cantillon. Like, double what it was just late last year. They also keep telling me they have other beers besides Cantillon, lol.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

are the fees listed on their site accurate? I see $14 for Cantillon. Can anyone order? Or do I need to be some sort of member?

Does the money due at delivery go to the SAQ? I have a SAQ giftcard, wondering if I can use it towards an order.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

found this site too - cheaper delivery fees.. http://www.quebecbiere.info

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:found this site too - cheaper delivery fees.. http://www.quebecbiere.info
They actually have Cantillon listed too.

I couldn't get organized to do anything with this before Mondiale. If anyone else is putting in an order and wouldn't mind letting me piggyback on it, I'd be appreciative.