Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anyone brought a keg over from NY state lately?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Anyone brought a keg over from NY state lately?

Post by Gedge »

I'm thinking of bringing a 1/6 BBL keg back from NY state for a party. Hoping to get one directly from Southern Tier. Anyone here dealt with them or any suggestions for good kegs (Stone, etc) in Buffalo?

Also, any issues getting your kegs into Ontario?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Cass has brought kegs up from the USA. There's a thread here about it somewhere.
lister

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

I haven't got one lately, but I've done it 8-10x at this point - mostly from MI rather than NY, though I doubt that matters. I always tell them a volume in cases, and if they ask for more detail I tell them specifically that it's a X litre keg. never had an issue, other than sometimes paying regular old duty on it.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here you go. I don't think anything's changed.

http://www.bartowel.com/the-bar-towel-g ... importing/

Consumers Beverage is great for kegs and they can get you lots of stuff.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

The relevant CBSA regulation is here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 6-eng.html In particular look at Appendix B. Appendix B also includes your cap on L that you can bring in 45L in ON + your exemption limit if you are over more than 48 hours.

Really, only two things matter: 1) the value of what you bought (in CDN$); and 2) the volume (you need to know both the L and HL).

What state you bought stuff from doesn't matter at all. What province you bring it back into matters big time, just ask the dude in NB in court right now! You may run into confusion about how to deal with your purchase, but as long as you are upfront and understand that the likelihood is you'll be paying taxes + duty (not a real signifcant amount) + 67cents x your liter volume you should be fine.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:I haven't got one lately, but I've done it 8-10x at this point - mostly from MI rather than NY, though I doubt that matters. I always tell them a volume in cases, and if they ask for more detail I tell them specifically that it's a X litre keg. never had an issue, other than sometimes paying regular old duty on it.
question for you guys.
i'm supposed to be getting beer sent to buffalo as a thank you for work i did overseas. it is coming from the brewery and i don't think they'll be a price affixed to it. it may include a keg.
so what do i tell customs?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

atomeyes wrote:
grub wrote:I haven't got one lately, but I've done it 8-10x at this point - mostly from MI rather than NY, though I doubt that matters. I always tell them a volume in cases, and if they ask for more detail I tell them specifically that it's a X litre keg. never had an issue, other than sometimes paying regular old duty on it.
question for you guys.
i'm supposed to be getting beer sent to buffalo as a thank you for work i did overseas. it is coming from the brewery and i don't think they'll be a price affixed to it. it may include a keg.
Is that a rabbit over there?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

atomeyes wrote:
question for you guys.
"I have XL of beer. It was a gift. The retail value is approximately $X." Maybe a note from the person giving it to you would help?

I did that for a trade once. I just printed up a little sheet with the approximate value of the beers. CBSA popped the trunk, took a look, and sent us on our way.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

atomeyes wrote:
question for you guys.
On the CBSA site, they have a "contact us" thingy. I used it late to ask a question, and they answered me super quick and the answer was pretty solid.

You could always use that and ask them what they think you should do.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, my experience is any price you give them will be far above what they expect for most folks buying shitty macro lager, so they're content with little or no docs. Back when I used to road trip down to dark lord day every year, i'd often be bringing cases of stuff for trades and returning with the same volume/value. They always accepted what I told them the value was, and once even suggested I could save my receipts for the stuff I brought down to trade and use those. So yeah, an accurate volume and approximate value is usually enough.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/