Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Detroit

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Thats pretty awesome.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Yep. No idea on size of bottles or price so I'll hold my breath for now. But the fact that ANYTHING is here is a good sign of things to come.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

so might be heading to michigan at the end of next month and REALLY want to hit up jolly pumpkin while we're down. i noticed there's a few of their pubs, does anyone know which is the best/has best bottle shop?

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I love the Ann Arbor brewpub. The food is great. The bottle shop has always been good there, but if you're in the area you might as well visit the brewery in Dexter. I haven't visited the new location, but the old one had less of a retail shop than the brewpub.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

admviolin wrote:I love the Ann Arbor brewpub. The food is great. The bottle shop has always been good there, but if you're in the area you might as well visit the brewery in Dexter. I haven't visited the new location, but the old one had less of a retail shop than the brewpub.
cool, thanks

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Was just in Detroit for about an hour on my way to Cleveland. Jolly pumpkin is still great in an extremely gentrified area. Place was packed at 3pm on Saturday but the bar cleared out by the time I was gone. It usually has something to do with sports, but no Michigan games were being played on tv.

Hit up 8 Degrees Plato down the street. Awesome taps as they had both KBS and Odd sides Bourbon maya on. Bottles were great, though I chose to only pick one, which was hard.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

DeMarco wrote:Was just in Detroit for about an hour on my way to Cleveland. Jolly pumpkin is still great in an extremely gentrified area. Place was packed at 3pm on Saturday but the bar cleared out by the time I was gone. It usually has something to do with sports, but no Michigan games were being played on tv.

Hit up 8 Degrees Plato down the street. Awesome taps as they had both KBS and Odd sides Bourbon maya on. Bottles were great, though I chose to only pick one, which was hard.
Picked a great time to pass through.
The taps at 8 Degrees are usually really good with some fun surprises here and there.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

gonna be doing a job in windsor next week, was just wondering if there were any bottle shops you guys would rec near the border?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I was just in Detroit for an extended weekend, figured this thread could use dusting off.

Breweries:

Detroit have a few, but honestly they're not as saturated as most places are these days. I gather that's changing in time.

Faisan was the standout place for me. They're pretty new and still finding their way a bit, but the beer was great. Tended towards lagers and Belgian styles, not a hazy IPA kind of place. Super friendly staff/owners too. Not in a terribly nice neighbourhood, but the space itself was fine. I don't think they had their kitchen up, or maybe they don't intend to have one, but people had outside food in there.

Batch Brewing was also very good. Lots of interesting stuff on taps, plenty of styles. They were having a German beer event so the menu skewed that way when I was there. Food was great, atmosphere was good, beer was some of the best I had there.

Eastern Market Brewing is right around the corner from the popular Eastern Market. They'll be super busy on Saturdays as a result, but I suspect much less busy other days. The beer was pretty good, but I didn't like drinking out of plastic cups much. Largerhouse is right around the corner and I liked the vibe in there a lot better, but the beer was better at Eastern Market.

Pretty much everywhere else I went (Brew Detroit, Atwater, Detroit Beer Co, Motor City Brewing) were not noteworthy. I had the impression the better beer to be found is a little further out, but didn't venture far myself.

Bars:

Hopcat is the best beer bar I went to. Collect was recommended to us, but we didn't make it.

Slow's BBQ had a very good tap list too, but I wasn't impressed by the BBQ which was a big letdown.

Barcade had a good list too, and is fun if you like arcades. The music was too loud to just sit and have a beer though.

Other than that, there wasn't really a ton of what I would call "beer bars". There are a whole lot of long-standing neighbourhood sorts of places that I would love to have checked out, but the buddy I went with wasn't really into it. Jacoby's in particular looked interesting, but I never made it in.

Bottle Shops:

I only went to 8 Degrees Plato, but that place is amazing. Lots of stuff to pick from and the staff know their stuff. Pretty good selection on tap too.

Other notes:

Detroit is a city that is at an interesting point. It's clearly fallen on hard times, but I would also say that it is now clearly on the upswing again. The downtown is pretty nice now and has some great architecture. Other areas are more hit or miss, but the places with lots of restaurants and such were pretty much all fine. I never felt uncomfortable walking around there, though it's not a terribly walkable city.

Like I said before, Slows BBQ was a letdown. But I went to Taqueria Lupitas for tacos and my God, those tacos. So, so, soooooo good.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Craig wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:05 am Bottle Shops:
I only went to 8 Degrees Plato, but that place is amazing. Lots of stuff to pick from and the staff know their stuff. Pretty good selection on tap too.

Was here in March and agree on all accounts.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Craig wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:05 am I was just in Detroit for an extended weekend, figured this thread could use dusting off.

Breweries:

Detroit have a few, but honestly they're not as saturated as most places are these days. I gather that's changing in time.

Faisan was the standout place for me. They're pretty new and still finding their way a bit, but the beer was great. Tended towards lagers and Belgian styles, not a hazy IPA kind of place. Super friendly staff/owners too. Not in a terribly nice neighbourhood, but the space itself was fine. I don't think they had their kitchen up, or maybe they don't intend to have one, but people had outside food in there.

Batch Brewing was also very good. Lots of interesting stuff on taps, plenty of styles. They were having a German beer event so the menu skewed that way when I was there. Food was great, atmosphere was good, beer was some of the best I had there.

Eastern Market Brewing is right around the corner from the popular Eastern Market. They'll be super busy on Saturdays as a result, but I suspect much less busy other days. The beer was pretty good, but I didn't like drinking out of plastic cups much. Largerhouse is right around the corner and I liked the vibe in there a lot better, but the beer was better at Eastern Market.

Pretty much everywhere else I went (Brew Detroit, Atwater, Detroit Beer Co, Motor City Brewing) were not noteworthy. I had the impression the better beer to be found is a little further out, but didn't venture far myself.

Bars:

Hopcat is the best beer bar I went to. Collect was recommended to us, but we didn't make it.

Slow's BBQ had a very good tap list too, but I wasn't impressed by the BBQ which was a big letdown.

Barcade had a good list too, and is fun if you like arcades. The music was too loud to just sit and have a beer though.

Other than that, there wasn't really a ton of what I would call "beer bars". There are a whole lot of long-standing neighbourhood sorts of places that I would love to have checked out, but the buddy I went with wasn't really into it. Jacoby's in particular looked interesting, but I never made it in.

Bottle Shops:

Other notes:

Detroit is a city that is at an interesting point. It's clearly fallen on hard times, but I would also say that it is now clearly on the upswing again. The downtown is pretty nice now and has some great architecture. Other areas are more hit or miss, but the places with lots of restaurants and such were pretty much all fine. I never felt uncomfortable walking around there, though it's not a terribly walkable city.

Like I said before, Slows BBQ was a letdown. But I went to Taqueria Lupitas for tacos and my God, those tacos. So, so, soooooo good.
Too bad to hear about your Slow's experience. I wonder what happened.

Thx for the report.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

That's super surprising, Slows is probably some of the best food I've ever had. It's been a while since I've been though, probably pre-covid.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the update Craig. I went to Detroit in April of last year, but I guess I didn't add anything to the thread (just an update to the Lansing one).

I enjoy going to Detroit as I find their whole vibe very interesting - seeing real urban decay with my own eyes, and much of it transforming in real-time.

I was able to stop in at Jacoby's, and a similar spot close by called Sweetwater, very old school places. Not exactly amazing beer, but really unique bars. And good as they're open late, as most of the newer beer places close up around 10.

I agree though that the beer in the downtown area is very hit and miss. Thanks for the tip about Faisan, didn't know about that spot yet. And Lupitas, definitely want to hit that up. I've got another short trip this summer planned for a concert so hopefully will have a night to explore.

Also: the Founders in Detroit abruptly closed this week.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh, I forgot to add before. One of the beers that was recommended to me when I was there was a Wax Wings hazy IPA, out of Kalamazoo. It was outstanding.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Going for a small adventure back to Detroit tomorrow through Tuesday. Will attempt the VIA train -> Tunnel Bus combo and see how that all goes.

Will report back anything new or interesting!