Edmonton?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Torontoblue
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2136
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Edmonton via Toronto via The Wirral

Re: Edmonton?

Postby Torontoblue » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:00 pm

cratez wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:I recommended it as it's one of the places 'to go' in Edmonton if you like beer. And we only have a small handful of 'beer bars'.

I happen to like beer, but don't like Beer Rev.

I can still offer recommendations even if the place doesn't appeal to me :)


Fair enough. Out of the places you've mentioned, which bar/restaurant do you frequent most (i.e. what is your favourite spot)?



The past 16 months I have hardly gone out to any beer bars, as I'm not drinking as much beer as I was due to it's effect on my health.

I've been to BR a couple of times but only for our EBGA meetings, and the same with Craft for a couple of brewery releases.

The price of beer is really putting me off going to most places, too. Especially when a lot of places are doing 16oz sleeves but still charging $7.00 to $9.00 for the privilege.

If I do go out for a beer now, it's to the Accent Lounge just off Whyte Ave, and that's only because of the great steak tartar they do.

I'm back to drinking wine now. A decent enough bottle is the same amount as some imported beer, and the quality control is a lot better.
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2252
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Edmonton?

Postby cratez » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Torontoblue wrote:
cratez wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:I recommended it as it's one of the places 'to go' in Edmonton if you like beer. And we only have a small handful of 'beer bars'.

I happen to like beer, but don't like Beer Rev.

I can still offer recommendations even if the place doesn't appeal to me :)


Fair enough. Out of the places you've mentioned, which bar/restaurant do you frequent most (i.e. what is your favourite spot)?



The past 16 months I have hardly gone out to any beer bars, as I'm not drinking as much beer as I was due to it's effect on my health.

I've been to BR a couple of times but only for our EBGA meetings, and the same with Craft for a couple of brewery releases.

The price of beer is really putting me off going to most places, too. Especially when a lot of places are doing 16oz sleeves but still charging $7.00 to $9.00 for the privilege.

If I do go out for a beer now, it's to the Accent Lounge just off Whyte Ave, and that's only because of the great steak tartar they do.

I'm back to drinking wine now. A decent enough bottle is the same amount as some imported beer, and the quality control is a lot better.

Sorry to hear about the no beer thing. I'll keep Accent Lounge in mind providing time permits. The other RB reviews seem favourable too. Thanks!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2252
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Edmonton?

Postby cratez » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Just got back from Edmonton. Went to The Underground Tap & Grill, Beer Revolution, Craft Beer Market, and the outstanding Three Boars Eatery. Wanted to hit Sugarbowl before leaving town but time didn't permit. As usual the recos and comments on here were very helpful and mostly aligned with my experience at each of the bars.

I took a group of work colleagues to The Underground for dinner and drinks on Friday and it was well received by everyone. Music was hip-hop focused and louder than I prefer for a pub, but the food was excellent and there were lots of tasty local beers on offer. Waitress did a commendable job of making recos for the macro drinkers in our group and I enjoyed the laidback, casual atmosphere. Would definitely go back.

Beer Revolution was a letdown. If I was there with a group and sat at one of the tables I might've had a better impression of the place, but my experience at the bar left a lot to be desired. Bright screens greet you at an awkward U-shaped bar where you're forced to either stare at the screens or the people sitting across from you. Good conservation could've made up for that, but unfortunately I was sitting beside some creep who was only concerned with hitting on/harassing the waitresses. What else? The bartenders weren't willing to engage, the Wild Boar skillet was just okay, and two beers and an entree came to $50 with a 15% tip. This in a province with no sales tax. On the positive side, the Dawn of the Red that I ordered was one of the better pints of my trip (the Alley Kat Red Dragon, not so much).

Craft Beer Market was more up my alley with an impressive, gargantuan beer list, vibrant atmosphere, and solid food. Service was slow but amicable and my work friends were happy with their experience. While I wanted to go with something local, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try Fresh Squeezed on tap, and it didn't disappoint. The Black Butte Porter was in equally fine form. Sure there's a bit of a corporate/chainy vibe to this place, but I would still come back. Another worthy spot.

Three Boars Eatery was far and away the highlight of the trip. I would even go so far as to say it was one of the best drinking and dining experiences I've ever had. Awesome cozy little bar downstairs with six well-selected taps, 10 or so bottles, and a robust cocktail menu. Servers look like hipsters, so at first I thought this might not be the place for me, but they were friendly and engaging (bartender Riley in particular). Food is obviously the focus here, and it delivered in spades. Had the Brussel Sprouts, Alberta Quail, Apple & Cheddar Empanada, and Cured Meat Plate, all were delicious.

The beer selection is limited, but what they have is stellar. The pints that I quaffed throughout dinner – a chocolate porter, an American IPA, a black saison - ranged from good to great. By the time I ordered the saison, the bar was packed. Had some interesting conversations with the patrons and the barkeep was kind enough to make me a custom cocktail (Jack Rose) not offered on their regular menu. Overall, a very fun and memorable night out, and I can’t say enough good things about this place.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
rejtable
Bar Fly
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Edmonton?

Postby rejtable » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:28 am

Looks like I'll be in town next month, any updates in the last year?

Thanks!
User avatar
Torontoblue
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2136
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Edmonton via Toronto via The Wirral

Re: Edmonton?

Postby Torontoblue » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:51 am

Nothing has changed much in the last year. No new bars have opened that add to the 'scene'. You will see more Alberta beers on taps lists, though!

CRAFT are changing to their new 2017 beer menu as of today; not sure what will be different.
rejtable
Bar Fly
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Edmonton?

Postby rejtable » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Another solid time in Edmonton. Hit up the usual spots, Beer Revolution, Craft, Underground. Definitely seemed to be a lot more Alberta beer on tap, for better or for worse. Few new spots (to me anyway):

Situation Brewing: Really cool spot, and probably the best beer I've had from Alberta.

MKT: just acrosse the street from situation. Clone of Craft Beer Market, with a few different taps, including Grapefruit Sculpin. Ok, I wouldn't go out of my way to get there, but if in the Situation area worth a stop in.
User avatar
Torontoblue
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2136
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Edmonton via Toronto via The Wirral

Re: Edmonton?

Postby Torontoblue » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 pm

rejtable wrote:Another solid time in Edmonton. Hit up the usual spots, Beer Revolution, Craft, Underground. Definitely seemed to be a lot more Alberta beer on tap, for better or for worse. Few new spots (to me anyway):

Situation Brewing: Really cool spot, and probably the best beer I've had from Alberta.

MKT: just acrosse the street from situation. Clone of Craft Beer Market, with a few different taps, including Grapefruit Sculpin. Ok, I wouldn't go out of my way to get there, but if in the Situation area worth a stop in.


The only time to go to MKT really is on a Thursday, when ALL Alberta beers are a stupidly low price of $2.24 per 16oz pour. Or, when the sun is out and you can get on the patio. The food has definitely gotten better in there, which is a good thing.

Situation is good and definitely brings something new to Whyte Ave.

There's another neighbourhood brewpub opening sometime late April, early May just 2 blocks from my house. Brewery is called Blind Enthusiasm, and they are really going to 'shake' the scene up a little with their barrel aged program, and their wild fermented programs. http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/11 ... -edmonton/
rejtable
Bar Fly
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Edmonton?

Postby rejtable » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:19 am

Torontoblue wrote:There's another neighbourhood brewpub opening sometime late April, early May just 2 blocks from my house. Brewery is called Blind Enthusiasm, and they are really going to 'shake' the scene up a little with their barrel aged program, and their wild fermented programs. http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/11 ... -edmonton/


yeah, I was soooo hoping they'd open while I was there. Dude made great games, looking forward to what he can do with the beer!

Return to “Local Beer Guides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron