Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Seattle?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Seattle?

Post by rejtable »

I can't find a specific link to Seattle anywhere.

Any recos? May be there for a few nights in early May. Looking at the beer hotspots according to BA/RB, things are so spread out!!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Well, crap, that was stupid!! Mods, please close this thread, I'll feed off the other one. Sorry! :(

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

I haven't been but here is what I have on my list if I ever do:

Seattle: Bottleworks, Elysian, Pike, Pine Box, Uber Tavern. Only 2 hrs from Yakima!
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'll also be hitting up Seattle in mid-late May.
Maybe a day, maybe three days depending on weather. Would love some reco's.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

If you can get there, Fremont makes some amazing beers (mainly stouts that I have tried).

There's also a Toronado in Seattle now.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

As it's not really right to post a link to BA (is it?); here's an updated list of places to visit in Seattle from the NW Forum:

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
Fremont Brewing
Reuben's Brews
Black Raven Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
Holy Mountain Brewing
Georgetown Brewing
Stoup Brewing
Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
Schooner Exact

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
Beveridge Place Pub
Brave Horse Tavern
Brouwer's Cafe
Burgundian
Collin's Pub
Cooper's Ale House
The Dray
Hudson Public House
Latona Pub
The Noble Fir
The Pine Box
The Sixgill
The Stumbling Monk
Toronado Seattle
Uber Tavern
The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
99 Bottles
The Beer Authority
The Beer Junction
Bottleworks
Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
Full Throttle Bottle
The Last Drop Bottle Shop
Malt & Vine
Vine Street Market
---------------------------------------------------
(A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.

Bambino's Pizzeria
Bitterroot BBQ
Chippy's Fish and Drink
Eureka! Seattle
Mammoth
The Masonry
The Yard Cafe
Twisted Pasty

I'm there in June, and plan on visiting:

Brave Horse Tavern
Brouwers (Again)
Uber Tavern
Pine Box (Again)
Burgundian
Toronado
Collins Pub
Reubens
and hopefully Holy Mountain.
And probably just stick with Bottleworks for hauling stuff back

A lot to do in 4 days, with a lot of bus rides, but it's an easy city to get around, and the bars are worth the travel.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Thanks all, The Bar Towel peeps rock!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

If not too late:

I only had one day, and had Mariners tickets in the evening. Highly recommend Collins Pub. Walking distance to ballpark and central to downtown. Reminded me a bit of The Ginger Man in NYC. I though Pike was a bit over-hyped and touristy. Elysian Fields might be good on non-game nights but was a total zoo immediately post-game. As I say I only had one day so that's all I hit. Have a great trip!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I concur about Elysian Fields on a game day. I made the 'mistake' of going there after a baseball game BUT before a CONCACAF qualifying game featuring Mexico. Man, it was nuts there. Just managed to get a table in the bar, ordered a beer which came in a plastic cup. Ordered food, which took less than 10 minutes to be at the table. It was just too busy and hectic in there, and we were in and out within 30 minutes.

Definitely go on a non game day!!!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Had a great time, covered a lot of ground...

Toronado: preferred the San Diego one. Kinda dead on a Friday evening, beer list was solid, but not spectacular. Not as much charm as the one in San Diego.
Bottleworks: awesome little spot. Solid dozen or so taps, and tons of bottles to choose from, and a reasonably intimate sit down experience even though you are drinking in between beer fridges. Had fun.
Naked City Taphouse: pretty neat, very lively late on a Friday evening. Guest taps were pretty solid, didn't actually try any of their house beers. Fun spot.
Chuck's Hop Shop: Better beer selection than Bottleworks, FANTASTIC tap selection (maybe 40ish taps). I didn't like the vibe here at all though. Felt like I was drinking in a Mac's, and tons of kids and dogs running around even thought it was probably 10pm when I was there. Corking fees pretty reasonable to crack open something out of the cooler.
Uber Tavern: Really liked the local cosiness of this place, and that huge fireplace in the middle was pretty neat. Tap list was pretty decent. Out of the way, but if you're staying up North definitely worth a stop in.

That was Friday!

Elysian Bar (not the one near the ballpark), just outside Pike Place. Big huge open restaurant. Not much atmosphere. Beer was solid, with a dozen of their regulars, and then a dozen more rotation beers. Bartender was great.
Holy Mountain Brewering: this was a huge highlight. Industrial minimalist spot, but great taps, very friendly staff. Had a lot of fun here.
Pyramid Alehouse: across from the stadiums. Meh. I'm sure lively on a game day, beer was just so so.
Fremont Brewing: another highlight. Awesome big patio, excellent tap selection. Service was a bit too "hurry up and order" but whatever. Again with the kids and the dogs though...
Brouwers Cafe: Another great spot. Tremendous tap list, great atmosphere, service was great.

And by far the highlight for me... unbeknownst to me there was a Bacon and Beer Classic event going on at Safeco. I had wandered down in the afternoon to see if I could get a stadium tour and saw the event. Was sold out, but they offered me an extra VIP ticket for the evening session. So glad I went. Hundreds of beer on tap, and equal amount of shit done with bacon, and the VIP gave me access to a private beer garden on the field behind home plate. Drinking Fremont's Sister while sitting in the Mariners dugout was a pretty damn cool experience!!!

Overall a great city, although holy moly the mess of crazy people downtown between Pike Place and the more shopping areas is jarring. Like being in a Walking Dead episode. I saw a woman light up a crackpipe on a street just as busy as Yonge, broad daylight hundreds of people walking right by her. This wasn't even an out of the way part of town, just the streets between Pike and the shopping. 3-4 blocks. Nutso.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Heading to Seattle in a week and a bit for a couple of days. Anyone been out there recently?

Will search on the usual sites for ideas but thought I'd ask the group here too.

nickw

Post by nickw »

I was there for a couple of days last year. Didn't do too much beer-focused stuff (was hard to keep the Portland momentum going), but I did spend an afternoon in Chuck's Hop Shop bar/beer store (the one on East Union in Central District east of downtown) on a lovely summer's day when they had a sour beer festival going on (unbeknownst to me), and it was absolutely fantastic. Even with a more 'normal' lineup, I would've found it an inviting, casual spot that has great outdoor seating options (with food trucks).