Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trip to Oregon

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Trip to Oregon

Post by esprit »

Took my first trip to Oregon (ostensibly to see the British Blues All Stars play in Portland but they cancelled a couple of weeks ago) and just returned. Wow...what a place! Not only is it stunningly beautiful but you can buy great beer and great coffee almost anywhere...makes Toronto seem like some tiny backwater town. Spent a night in Newport and, needless to say, visited both Rogue houses i n town and the brewery and spent the night in one of their rooms above the Ale House. For the first time in my life tried about 10 different Rogue's on tap...heaven! Also got to Bridgeport's pub in Portland...great beer, lousy food and lousy service and also partook of various Widmer's and Portland Brewing products. A beer lover's paradise!!! In the airport waiting to leave today we stopped at Portland Brewing's bar and restaurant and had some half decent pizza and a selection of about 30 drafts...can you believe that???
After all that, Geoffrey and I are off to Denver on Friday for the Great American Beer Festival so eat your hearts out!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I was fortunate enough to attend a conference in Portland a few years ago and was similarly amazed. Even the crappy sports bar in the Marriott I stayed in had 24 taps: Bud, Bud Light, and 22 Oregon micros.

Another amazing brewery at the time was Deschutes Brewery (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/). Their Black Butte Porter and Obsidian Stout were supertasty.

Even dinky little grocery stores were similarly well stocked. I asked the stockboy if it was okay to take singles and he said that it was no problem. Needless to say, they were left with 24 5-packs!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've always wanted to check out Oregon. If Portland was close to ski mountains I would probably head out there in the winter, but I don't think there's much around.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Cass wrote:I've always wanted to check out Oregon. If Portland was close to ski mountains I would probably head out there in the winter, but I don't think there's much around.
45 minutes from Portland to Mt. Hood - ski all summer if you want. Can always check out the Mt. Hood Brew Pub. Drive back via Hood River, check out Full Sail brewing. Cross the river and check out Walking Man Brewing - Home of HomoErectus lager (never tried it but love the name). Head back along the Columbia River gorge on the Oregon side and check out the McMenamins Brewery, hotel and pub in Edgefield. Quaff a few Terminator Stouts, Hammerhead and a little Ruby Ale. Whose got time to Ski anyway when there's so much beer to drink?

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Lovely beer in Portland. My ex-brother-in-law (so many hyphens!) lives in Tigard. McMenamin's has good beers, but some of the venues lack atmosphere -- stuck in a suburb by a big cross-town street, no walk-in traffic, more of an after-work venue, feels like a Gordon Biersch.

However the Ram's Head pub just to the NorthWest of downtown is sweet. And it offers a great menu, at least when I was last there. Nice district generally, too.

An English friend who worked there also suggested the McMenamins movie theatre, the Bagdad.

The chain seems to have expanded substantially since I was last there -- wonder if they have managed to sustain the quality of beer at each venue!?

There used to be a fun Irish pub nearer the river downtown -- big cavernous place in two storefronts. And it actually served 20oz. pints! Fun.

Enjoy yourself if you go. 5:15 hours drive from Vancouver and Seattle is about halfway. Air Canada even has a Dash 7 commuter hop from Vancouver which can be added to a Toronto-Vancouver ticket for marginally more money. An hour or two drive east of Portland to some serious ski-ing; an hour west to some really lovely coastline.

I have some friends (lurkers on this website) who did a fun drive and drink tour of Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and San Fran a few years ago.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/

-Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Uncle Bobby wrote:.... McMenamin's has good beers, but some of the venues lack atmosphere -- stuck in a suburb by a big cross-town street, no walk-in traffic, more of an after-work venue, feels like a Gordon Biersch.

However the Ram's Head pub just to the NorthWest of downtown is sweet. And it offers a great menu, at least when I was last there. Nice district generally, too.
McMenamin's is a pretty interesting success story in Oregon. They started off as one of the first BrewPubs in Portland and grew into a local chain. They generally buy community watering holes that have become run down, dress 'em up, rebrand them and make a fresh start. The Ram's Head is a good example of that - great little community pub up on 23rd I think. McMenamin's beers are only available on tap in a McMenamin's pub - no beer to go sold as far as I know, no bottles available in any retail outlet. Not all the pubs actually brew, getting their beer from either another McMenamin's pub or the relatively new Brewery at Edgefield. Edgefield itself is kinda cool. It used to be a Poor/Debtors farm. Basically a place to kick the homeless back in the 20s and 30s. Now it's a quirky hotel with a pub, a "Brew 'n View" movie house - like the venue downtown, a golf course, an outdoor concert theatre, and a vinyard. Don't know if it still happens, but a lot of their beer used to be made from extract as some of the pubs did not have the abilty to mash. Just a brew kettle and a couple fermenters.

There's better beer in the state, but McMenamin's is a must stop, especially if you pick one of the pubs with character, like the Ram, or Edgefield, or Cornelius Pass.

I'm from Oregon, I love the place, why I'm still here I'm not sure (wife and kids probably have something to do with it). Great place to visit.