Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quebec City

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I was actually really impressed with JA Moisan, but didn't get to d'Aguilon because they had some quirky opening hours.

L'Inox was good, and they do a nice sausage. Barberie will be hit and miss, but from memory they did a nice sampler option of galopins which you can then pick your favourite from.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A couple of quick updates from QC:

- Bateau de Nuit is no more.

- L'Inox is now (or another location?) on Grande Allee, right on the strip with the nightclubs. Haven't been but it's certainly more convenient than the spot by the water.

Also, finding interesting beer in Quebec isn't that easy. Hit a couple of places yesterday - Chantateuil, Ninkasi, St Alexandre - and not much in the way of selection although they're often talked about. Considering Barberie is a micro right here I'd think it would be more common to find.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

L'Inox moved to Grand Allee last Easter. It's their only location.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some more thoughts on QC, having gone for a 2nd consecutive weekend:

Made it to La Barberie - great little spot. Lively bar attached to the brewery, where you can get a carousel of 8 beers for $15. They also had a cask as well. Easy walk from downtown, near the train station. I found the beers to be quite good on my visit.

Corsaire is definitely worth the ferry ride across the river. The ferry runs every half hour at 00 and 30. The pub is literally right there when you arrive in Levis. About 8-9 house beers including a house cider. It's a spacious bar with good prices (presumably without the rent / tourist premiums).

Found a neat spot in the old lower town called Oncle Antoine. Cool pub with walls and ceiling of rough rock - feels like you're deep underground even though it's on the ground level. Unibroue beers on tap but a selection of Quebec micros in the bottle.

L'Inox is a bit more of a party bar now - I visited on Saturday night and it was rammed. Four house beers I believe, basic stuff but not a bad option on Grande Allee where most of the places are clubs.

Looking ahead, I learned of a new place opening in the spring called Korrigane:

http://www.korrigane.ca/
http://www.bieresetplaisirs.com/nouvelle.php?ID=649

Could be great - it's in a nice area referred to earlier which has great bakeries and lots of little shops.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Hey Cass,

I believe we were both in Quebec on Sunday - shame we didn't hook up for a brew.

Al

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Let's give this guy a bump as a few of us seem to be hitting QC at different times this summer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You guys know Quebec City, I guess nowhere is safe anymore! :o
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Mostly did touristy stuff with the family, but the evenings spent at Pub St Alexandre were well worth it. Massive bottle list of Belgian Beer. Nothing like enjoying Rochefort 10 after a day of seeing the sites.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Cass wrote:Found a neat spot in the old lower town called Oncle Antoine. Cool pub with walls and ceiling of rough rock - feels like you're deep underground even though it's on the ground level. Unibroue beers on tap but a selection of Quebec micros in the bottle.
Hey Cass - does Oncle Antoine do food? I read some reviews online, but found no mention.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I went to Quebec City on the weekend and had some pleasant beers. Barberie was passable, but still a little plain all round. Corsaire was much the same - enjoyable with the company, but I wouldn't rush back. Well worth it for the ferry ride, though, so why not stay for a pint? Microbrasserie Olreans, however, was excellent. Its situated out on the island to the north of Quebec and has a great range of beers, and a wonderful view. Highly recommended. I only brought back one beer with me (didn't feel like carting them around), but there is a great place in the vieux port market called Monde des Bieres, that has a wide selection. For lovers of other artisanal products, I also really recommend the creme de cassis from Monna et Filles on Ile d'Orleans.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sorry Bobsy, didn't see the question. Thanks for the updates, I'll probably be back for Carnaval in February.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Heading back to Quebec City on Thursday for the Carnaval. Will definitely check out Korrigane and report back.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Lucky guy. I intend to spend some time at Pub St. Alexandre this summer

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

So I'm sitting here at Korrigane, the newest brewpub in Quebec City (free city wifi).

It's located at 380 rue Dorchester in the St-Roch neighbourhood, and it's easy to miss it, as I walked right by initially.

Quite a large space when you walk in, with a front room with a bunch of tables & bar, and a really big back room. Tanks visible in the front and the back.

5 home beers on tap - right now there's Vila (5% extra blonde 'florale'), Kraken (5.8% IPA), Korrigane (5% English pale ale), Malgven (8% English old ale) and Cornik (4.5% stout cream ale). They also have a "Brasserie invitee" which right now is Broadway of Shawinigan, with Shawinigan Union, Tchuke and Don Juan.

I'm drinking the Kraken right now and it's not bad. Decent hoppyiness.

It's also the middle of the day and it's pretty empty but feels like it would be a fun place when it fills up. Reminiscent of Dieu du Ciel with all the tables are quite close together in the space.

Will try to come back again this wknd!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Another update - Le Cloncher Penche which is on St-Joseph in the St-Roch neighbourhood has 5 La Barberie beers on tap. Pretty uncommon to see outside of the brewery itself. And the food there is kickass.