Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Gatineau, QC

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Beer in Gatineau, QC

Post by Cass »

I'm in Ottawa this weekend for a wedding, so during some downtime I headed across to Quebec in search of beer. After reading Al's blog and Ratebeer I hit "La Trappe à Fromage", which has three locations in Gatineau and one in Plaisance. I went to the one on Bellehumeur in Gatineau.

Let me say I was very impressed. It didn't look like much from the outside since I was in an area that had lots of strip mall stores like Wal Mart and Future Shop. But once inside I realized it was certainly not like the other stores around.

It's basically a specialty cheese and food store - especially cheese. There was at least four large open flatbed fridges with various chesses from Quebec and elsewhere. There's also lots of other interesting items such as mustard - they had McAuslan's and ones made with Unibroue from Fourquet Fourchette, honey, maple syrup and other things like that.

And the beer selection was great. They only stock Quebec beers, but I saw just about everything I could think of. Unibroue, McAuslan, Schoune, La Barberie, Cheval Blanc, RJ were all there. They also had "Trois Mousquetaires" which I hadn't heard of before. Pretty much all beers were available as single bottles and many as six-packs. Single bottles ranged from $1.99 to $3.99 and up depending on size. No international or other Canadian beer but I wasn't there looking for that kind of thing. There was also a bunch of glassware and some gift packs. Helpful and nice staff, too.

Anyway, I've got a trunk full of beer and a bag of Quebec cheeses. Looking forward to some sampling when I get home.

La Trappe à Fromage locations

114 boul St Raymond
Gatineau (Hull section)
819-243-6411

200 Bellehumeur
Gatineau
819-243-6411

Note: The following locations do not stock or do not have a substantial beer selection:

574 Maloney Est
Gatineau
819-643-9000

222 rue Principale
Plaisance
819-427-6279
Last edited by Cass on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Awesome! I have a wedding in Ottawa coming up too - I'll be sure to check it out. In that vein, can any of the Ottawa guys update the craft beer pub scene, particularly for cask beers? Clocktower brewpub, Black Tomato, the Arrow group place ... are there others?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Nevermind these locations:

574 Maloney Est
Gatineau
819-643-9000

222 rue Principale
Plaisance
819-427-6279

The one on Maloney doesnt stock any beer, its just a factory-style outlet for standard cheeses (nothing fancy) and the one in plaisance is more of a terroir product store, and only has 4-5 kinds of Unibroue 650ml's. Not what it used to be and definitely not worth the 30 minute trip to romantic Plaisance.

Id add the Jovi Market in Hull, and DEFINITELY the Autre Oeil in nearby Aylmer. I sampled a Duvell green, and a St-Louis Faro there yesterday, along with a orgasmic Trois-Pistoles on tap. The import-craft beer bar has the largest selection in quebec, bar none, and has gems like Leffe Radieuse, Triple Karmeliet, the 3 Rocheforts, Achel, Duvel Green, Bush Noel, and much much more.

If you dont see the Faro on the menu, order it anyways and tell them ian sent you. Dont be afraid to inquire about secret beers not on the menu. Dan, the owner has a monthly emailing list that vaunts new finds a few weeks before release on the menu, and generaly doesnt shy from selling them before hand. Another bonus for colectors, if you want to keep the empty bottle, they will clean it and bag it for you. Great knowledgeable and friendly staff.

I'll be at the Other Eye next thursday, if your there come say hi.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the info Ian. I've updated my original post.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

midlife crisis wrote:In that vein, can any of the Ottawa guys update the craft beer pub scene, particularly for cask beers? Clocktower brewpub, Black Tomato, the Arrow group place ... are there others?
Little out of the way if you are downtown but still technically in Ottawa, the Swan in Carp had two cask ales on last night - Scotch Irish Session and Sgt Majors. It filled up quickly after 6pm Friday so reservations might be a good idea.