Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Dieu du Ciel and surrounding area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Brews Phillips wrote:They've FINALLY opened up the second floor for business. There is now a bar on the 2nd floor and a small patio overlooking Duluth.
When were you last there? I thought it had been like that for 4-5 years now?

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

JerCraigs wrote:
Brews Phillips wrote:They've FINALLY opened up the second floor for business. There is now a bar on the 2nd floor and a small patio overlooking Duluth.
When were you last there? I thought it had been like that for 4-5 years now?
That could be. It's always been roped off when I've been there. I just assumed it wasn't in use.

LarryKress

Post by LarryKress »

> There are also several "house" beers which I suspect are brewed by La >Barbarie since I think they are part owners of the place.

La Barbarie are not part owners Of V & V. They just used to supply most of the beer when V & V first opened.

I know last year, Hughe (original partner & cousin of Fred of hopfenstock)
was overseeing batchs brewed at Maitre Brasseur & Brasseur du Montreal for
V&V and I suspect this is still the case.

Cheers

Larry kress

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

LarryKress wrote:> There are also several "house" beers which I suspect are brewed by La >Barbarie since I think they are part owners of the place.

La Barbarie are not part owners Of V & V. They just used to supply most of the beer when V & V first opened.

I know last year, Hughe (original partner & cousin of Fred of hopfenstock)
was overseeing batchs brewed at Maitre Brasseur & Brasseur du Montreal for
V&V and I suspect this is still the case.

Cheers

Larry kress
Aha. Thanks for clarifying Larry. The menu suggests some connection with La Barbarie but doesn't offer any details.

I just noticed that V&V offers links to a lot of the QC breweries that they carry (http://www.vicesetversa.com/) Click on bieres, admire the tap list and scroll to the bottom of the page. Lots of interesting stuff.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Another quick update on MTL. Made it there this weekend and Bixi'd down to Brasseurs de Montreal, which is south-west of the downtown core, right at the bottom of Guy (very accessible). I think the neighbourhood is called Griffintown and there's not a whole lot there, but looks like its getting more stuff around.

Not sure how long this has been open, but they've got a full pub attached to the brewery now. Great place. Large space inside with lots of tables and a long bar. Big patio covered with tent - helpful as when we were there it was pouring.

All of their beers are available, plus some specialities that I don't think are bottled - for instance there was a stout with absinthe available. Large food menu as well which as we know is not always common at MTL beer spots.

Worth the trek down there if you're in town.

http://www.brasseursdemontreal.ca/accueil.htm

P.S. can I say how much I love Bixi? Great way to crawl around Montreal, but definitely switch to cab/Metro after a few strong Quebec beers!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Cass wrote:Another quick update on MTL. Made it there this weekend and Bixi'd down to Brasseurs de Montreal, which is south-west of the downtown core, right at the bottom of Guy (very accessible).

http://www.brasseursdemontreal.ca/accueil.htm
I heard the some beers from Brasseurs de Montreal will be available in Ontario soon...don't know which ones though.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The restaurant/pub at Brasseurs de Montreal has been open for at least a year, we went down there for dinner one evening during last year's Mondial. Very nice place with excellent gastropub-ish food. The beer isn't the best in Montreal, but still pretty good. Well worth a visit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

So, I have TWO kwestchens for you MTL freaks:

1) How many days do I reasonably need for one trip to 'do' Montreal's beer scene, more or less?

2) How many extra livers do I need to pack in the suitcase?
In Beerum Veritas

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Answers:

1) Three days would be a good beer trip to Montreal. But then you might have to leave DDC and head to some other spots.

2) Four livers should do it. Those livers can soak up a lot of booze. Bring a fifth if you want to be safe.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Belgian wrote:So, I have TWO kwestchens for you MTL freaks:

1) How many days do I reasonably need for one trip to 'do' Montreal's beer scene, more or less?

2) How many extra livers do I need to pack in the suitcase?
You'd want to give yourself at least two full nights. One night for the north area of the mountain (V&V, Brouhaha, DDC, Reservoir) and one for the south/downtown area (Cheval Blanc, Amere a Boire, Saint Bock, Benelux). That's still being aggressive as MTL's beer spots are fairly spread out and once you get settled it's tough to leave.

Just keep yourself full of bagels, smoked meat & poutine and your liver will be fine.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Hey Montreal experts - I'm heading through there in August (unfortuneately not staying overnight) and am wondering the best stop to pick up bottles of some of the best Montreal breweries. Same question for Quebec City, or is there a decent beer scene there?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I was in Montreal in February, Depanneur Peluso (Boni Soir) was great, its on Rachel St. The website is all french, but you only need to look at the photos.
http://www.depanneurpeluso.com
http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/state/cit ... r/4143.htm

If you buy enough, the owner has some beer hiding (may have to ask for them), he ended up showing us some Dominus Vobisum Hibernus and Lupulus, both of which we picked up. He even threw in 2 beer glasses!

We didn't get to go to Depanneur Rahman as we tried looking for it after having quite a bit at Dieu du Ciel, its apparently just down the road.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Kish84 wrote: We didn't get to go to Depanneur Rahman as we tried looking for it after having quite a bit at Dieu du Ciel, its apparently just down the road.
Rahman is ok, but those pics of Peluso look nice. I really like the way some of these deps set themselves up. They take the prison atmosphere out of shopping for beer and turn it into an enjoyable experience shopping for artisanal products. Imagine that, TBS!

Broue Ha Ha in Gatineau is like this and judging by some pics I have seen here on Bartowel and elsewhere there appear to be others.

Not that I want to knock Rahman. I've shopped there many times :D

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I would pick Peluso over Rahman (and Rahman does have a lot). The customer service at Peluso is great. There are a couple of nice bottle shops on Duluth as well (the names escape me, but I go in to both every time I go to Montreal).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

So I did make it out there for a few trips this month (three nights, then four.) I ended up spending less time downtown on the second trip, because the Plateau area where I was staying is pretty excellent (Duluth, Rachel, St-Denis, all around Mile-End etc...) I have still more bars to check out & a few amazing restos that would be great for entertaining (still had a few good meals but this time it wasn't so much about that.)

Enough has been said of the beer, which seems endless. I have to say it's just a really nice, clean, european-style city. The buses were frequent and the subways look really nice. (Get a 3-day pass.) I get the feeling there is a strong social committment to stuff like transit, safe bike paths, even night life which is supported by hundreds of patios along many streets (not to mention the very fun social vibe of locals going out on weeknights.) Will our own great city ever rise to that level of night action?

Walking is great there. I could pretty much forget my car most of the stay and didn't have to play the 'parking game' & keep moving it, they are not just ticket nazis out to make a buck. Not every convenient street even has fare meters or severe time limits; just watch out for the rush-hour lanes (they seem very proud of safe and efficient traffic flow, with a great light system - just another subtle detail reflecting their way of life.)

And it's well worth a little drive or bus up the mountain to the lookout, at least just once... these Montrealers enjoy a different way of living, and looking out over this city from such an impressive vantage point I do think they have a lot to be proud of.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas