Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Dieu du Ciel and surrounding area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I will change my tune a bit for Benelux, as recent beers were extremely good!

For sure Le Saint Bock is pushing their own stuff more than anything, but if it gets boring Le Cheval Blanc is just a few blocks east over on Ontario St. Cheval had some impressive seasonals, and in general the beer tasted far better than I remember in the summertime. Is it possible that is because some of these brew pubs rush the fermentation & aging when there is peak demand?

L'Amere a Boire was similarly disappointing back in July. Beers weren't great.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Quite enjoyed my time in Montreal, Gatineau and the surrounding area. Enjoyed the following:

BDT dumduminator
LTM Festbier
DDC Decibel
Hopfenstark Rauchsaison - I could have easily downed 10 of these. Dangerously drinkable
Hopfenstark Saison du Repos
McAuslan Pale Ale
McAuslan Oatmeal Stout

forgot to mention a beer called Abel Turcault which I enjoyed as well.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Anybody know a good place to pick up decent bottles in Old Montreal area? I'm staying down there in a couple of weeks.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mr.X wrote:Anybody know a good place to pick up decent bottles in Old Montreal area? I'm staying down there in a couple of weeks.
Depanneur Prince Arthuris across the big park and down the lane if you wander up St. Denis a little past Sherbrooke.

Just a little place, it's at Rue Prince Arthur and Hotel De Ville. if you want to google map it.
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I'll be in Montreal on business for 3 days in the last week of April. I've been there enough to know all the usual suspects.

For anyone who has been there recently, are there any new places to check out, events, or perhaps quebec micro seasonal releases I should be looking for?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If you catch Peluso at the right time, they may have something from Troue de Diable

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Looks like there's a new place to check out in Montreal:

http://lasuccursale.com/

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Cass wrote:Looks like there's a new place to check out in Montreal:

http://lasuccursale.com/
Cool, thanks for posting. I'll be back in Mtl at the beginning of June. If I make it to this place I'll post about it here.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Going up for the Foo Fighters concert and sticking around for a few days to enjoy the sights. We're staying at the Days Inn at Rene Levesque & St. Laurent. I've been mapping out the better pubs on Google Maps, everything looks close to the Metro, but still looking for a good depanneur close to the hotel, although we will have the car so we can drive out somewhere if needed.

Any suggestions?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

icemachine wrote:Going up for the Foo Fighters concert and sticking around for a few days to enjoy the sights. We're staying at the Days Inn at Rene Levesque & St. Laurent. I've been mapping out the better pubs on Google Maps, everything looks close to the Metro, but still looking for a good depanneur close to the hotel, although we will have the car so we can drive out somewhere if needed.

Any suggestions?
That's around where we usually stay. I haven't found a good depanneur within walking distance although the desjardin plaza just down the street has an Iga that usually has ddc and unibroue.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

There's a newish beer store on Saint Laurent near Rachel. A respectable selection of Quebec micros. Closer to downtown than many other places, I believe.

http://www.ratebeer.com/place/quebec/mo ... /21175.htm

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

LondonBeer wrote:
icemachine wrote:Going up for the Foo Fighters concert and sticking around for a few days to enjoy the sights. We're staying at the Days Inn at Rene Levesque & St. Laurent.
That's around where we usually stay.
Hey that's a nice part of downtown, I know that Days Inn but I have never stayed there.

I seem to always stay in the Plateau area (Chateau Plateau Royale) since Cass suggested it and it is now my favorite part of Montreal. Good access to DDC and others, and I've no real need to stay downtown since I spend little time there except for lower St Denis area and Benelux.

I'd like to know where others have stayed in Montreal
- inexpensive, cool, and well-situated. The Transit is pretty good so there are options!
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Can't say inexpensive, but I've stayed in a number of boutiques in Vieux Montréal.

Otherwise, I've stayed a few times at the big chains downtown, usually on a travelzoo deal or hotel membership (i.e. Delta Privilege) deal.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I got the Delta downtown for 1/2 price using Hotwire last time I stayed. I've stayed at Hotel Nouvel off Rene Levesque a few times too - They had $4.00 pints of BDM Rebelle Quebecoise last time I was there.

chico

Post by chico »

You should try L'espace public on ontario east or La Succursale on masson east