Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Gatineau Brewpub?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Brews Phillips

New Gatineau Brewpub?

Post by Brews Phillips »

Possible good news for those of us in the Ottawa-Gatineau area:

"Alain Geoffroy, president of Brasseurs du Temps Inc., has been looking for a home for the brewery for about three years. He has offered to buy the deconsecrated St. James Anglican Church on Promenade du Portage in the downtown Hull neighbourhood of Gatineau."

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 033b9debf0

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

This has been in the works for some time and I am very hopeful as well that it will go forward. I've been fortunate enough to try a number of test beers from Dominique and have been impressed. He has trained as a brewer in Belgium and has demonstrated vast tasting knowledge and the ability to produce diverse styles.

My fingers are crossed.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

I was snooping around the old Hull Waterworks building (170 Montcalm)today because I read that it was going to become a brewpub. One of the owners (Marc) came out to say hi, and he told me that Brasseurs du Temps is officially opening May 1. They'll start serving their own beers from May 15th or so. They've also bought St. James church nearby and will be converting this into some kind of music venue.

http://www.brasseursdutemps.com/presse.htm

Great news for the Ottawa-Gatineau region!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sounds great! I am in Gatineau often enough that I will certainly be able to give these a shot once they are available.

And not to threadjack, but it does seem like Micros are popping up all over the place. After only one year of the opening of Railway City Brewing in St Thomas ON, London On is going to be the home of a new mirco brewery as well. In the next few months there will be a new brewery in London, and I've tried the samples.......we're going to have a west coast IPA locally available after all.

ANyway, yay for Gatineau!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:And not to threadjack, but it does seem like Micros are popping up all over the place. After only one year of the opening of Railway City Brewing in St Thomas ON, London On is going to be the home of a new mirco brewery as well. In the next few months there will be a new brewery in London, and I've tried the samples.......we're going to have a west coast IPA locally available after all.
Yes, that deserves a thread of it's own!

Details? Who, what, where?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Thanks for the update. Am I the only one that thinks the Old Mill that the NCC is desperately trying to sell would be awesometastic for a brewery or brew pub? I think it would be fantastic. If anyone has a couple million lying around I'd be happy to do the leg work. I was up at the Hill yesterday gazing west and daydreaming of happy people tossing back beers at a lovely beer garden right on the river below the beautiful old building.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Bytowner wrote:Thanks for the update. Am I the only one that thinks the Old Mill that the NCC is desperately trying to sell would be awesometastic for a brewery or brew pub?
That would be a brilliant idea! But then I might get distracted on my way across the river to Brasseurs du Temps :-)

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I was talking with a mutual friend today and have some updated information about the opening of Brasseurs du Temps. The restaurant opening is expected on May 6 and their beers will start to appear on tap on May 20.
I'll post back if I get more information.

There are going to be 13 taps, 12 of which will be brewed in house by Dominique. I've had 4 or 5 test beers over the last couple of years ranging in style from Pale Ales and Blondes to Imperial Stouts and have nothing but good things to say about them.

It also sounds like the restaurant end of things might be a destination in its own right.

This has potential to be really, really good.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

The Brasseurs du Temps website has been updated. The official opening is May 21.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

He has yet to post hours, might be doable drive on a weekend

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Indeed! I've been lucky enough to get invited twice to pre-opening events, I'll try to post here afterwards to give you guys some impressions about food and service.

I've also been told the first 3 house beers wont be ready until the grand opening on May 21st. But for tasting and brewing with their head-brewer for a few years, let me tell you that it will be solid interpretations of classic french/belgian styles, with the occasionnal american-inspired specialties.

The IPA they batch-test is my favorite summer beer ever.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Brasseurs du Temps opens their doors today with the grand opening on May 21. Some information that I received from a mutual friend:
* will serve 12 beers on tap (presently coming from La Lièvre, Dieu du Ciel!, McAuslan, Boréale); beers brewed on the premise will be available starting May 21
* there is also wine, port and cider
* 200 seating places inside (including a VIP section for 50 persons)
* 275 seating places on the patio
* as far as food goes, the menu is rather elaborate ranging from mussels to cheeses to pasta to hamburgers (with either beef, buffalo or deer meat).

The co-ordinates are:
Les Brasseurs du Temps
170, rue Montcalm
Gatineau (Vieux-Hull) Québec

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Sounds excellent. I am looking forward to eating/drinking there.

....and it's only a 10 minute walk from the office!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i lke that there will be guest taps-hopefully uncommon winners
and am most looking forward to their own brews

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Looking at the map it appears this is a fairly straightforward stroll across the bridge from Ottawa. How long do you think it would take to walk from downtown Ottawa to the pub... 15 minutes?

I wish them all the best. I think it could be amazing!