Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Prague and Czech Republic trip

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cagiva650

Prague and Czech Republic trip

Post by Cagiva650 »

I'm planning to travel to the Czech Republic for week in May. Does anyone have any opinions about 'must see' (must drink) places? There are several beer destinations already on the itinerary.

Pivovarský Dvůr Chýně u Prahy
http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/2008/ ... eauty.html

and of course U Fleku, just because Michael Jackson talks about it in his "Beer Companion"
http://www.ufleku.cz/en/

What else would you recommend? There are a lot of places to see. I'm trying to hit the great ones.

Na Zdraví!! :)

PS. I searched these forums but couldn't find any relevant threads.
Last edited by Cagiva650 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Climb your way to the top of Castle Hill and there's a little stand with some chairs right before the last little climb up to the castle and main square. You'll be absolutely exhausted. Buy a pretty overpriced pilsner (I'm thinking it was just Urquell) and look out over the city. Awesome

They're on the euro now eh? Pity, I hope the beer is still cheaper than water.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Can't really help you beyond saying that U Fleku is a really good choice. What a country...great cheap food and $2 of beer gets you singing.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Oh by the way, one of the major breweries (again, I'm guessing Urquell, but check the guide books) runs a couple "traditional Czech pubs" type restaurants. May sound like tourist traps, and indeed they are filled with tourists, but the food and beer are top-notch. Had some fantastic Czech peasant dishes, really good stuff.

Found it... http://www.kolkovna.cz/index.php?langua ... t&place=11

ALSO, there's a shop called Bric-a-Brac in the alleys behind the Tyn Church, should be in a couple guide books (Rough Guide, maybe Lonely Planet I'm thinking) that is, as one might expect, a bric-a-brac shop. I picked up some great brewerania from the fellow from long dead Bohemian breweries. He has two shops, so if you show an interest he'll take you to his 'other' one. If you're interested I can dig around for the business card he gave me.

Everything is slowly coming back to me. Despite the crowds, a fantastic place.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Check out the book "3 Sheets to the Wind" by Pete Brown, he describes a couple of amusing (informative?) trips to the Czech Republic, well worth the read from a beer perspective...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Damn...you're going to have a fine trip!

Duffey

Post by Duffey »

tupalev wrote:Check out the book "3 Sheets to the Wind" by Pete Brown, he describes a couple of amusing (informative?) trips to the Czech Republic, well worth the read from a beer perspective...
I just finished that book last week, it was very good. When I lived in Ireland I met the no-armed man Pete wrote about (he didn't ask for my assistance, thank god.)

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

When I lived in Ireland I met the no-armed man Pete wrote about (he didn't ask for my assistance, thank god.)
That's hilarious!