Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Halifax?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Magni

Beer in Halifax?

Post by Magni »

Well, I noted about a month ago that I was moving to Halifax etc. and now it's boiling down to the date of departure. So, tomorrow I board my plane to the most likely cold Halifax.

Now, we all know what the most important part of travel is... the beer of course.

What beers MUST I try and what bars/pubs MUST I hit in my little four month adventure?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

We're visiting Halifax in June for a long weekend trip. There's some very decent beer made on the East Coast, and I have heard lots of great things about the city and province. I'm mostly using the info in this link to work out where might be good to drink beer and what to buy:
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?ci ... CA&s_id=NS

Have a good one!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Breweries:
Propeller and Garrison are both based in Halifax, and both make great beer. You may also find some beers from Pump House in NB.

Bars:
Rogue's Roost is a great brewpub. There's also a location of the Granite out there. And Maxwell's Plum has a pretty impressive tap line-up.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Rogues Roost is awesome. I was there a couple times a week when I was living there.

I had a few too many off pints at the Henry House (not to mention one of my worst ever beer customer service experiences) and the Granite to recommend them, but others have had better experiences. Its a shame too since Henry House has some great atmosphere.

As a general rule if a place does not have at least one of Propellor or Garrison available... well, I don't think I went to those places twice.

Also be sure to check out the growlers at Propellor and Garrison - some of the best beer value in town.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Check out the "Premier Wines And Spirits" location not far from Rogues Roost. http://www.premierwineandspirits.ca/

The last time I was there they had a lot of great beer including my favorite, Rogue Chocolate Stout.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Whatever you do, do not miss The Economy Shoe Shop, right downtown, for all the Propeller and Garrison brews. Fantastic ambience and great food. Maxwell's Plum is not very good, I would skip it. The Halifax Granite location is excellent, and unlike Toronto, has all the main beers cask conditioned. Enjoy!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

midlife crisis wrote:Whatever you do, do not miss The Economy Shoe Shop, right downtown, for all the Propeller and Garrison brews.
I paid our bill by Visa and my monthly statement said "Discount Shoe Store". Gotta love it.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Well, I made it to some pretty awful nightclubs last night by some degree of "let's take you out on the twon!"
HOWEVER.
I did make it to Gingers/Granite and had some fantastic cask conditioned ales, quite superb. Tomorrow I think I'll hit up Propeller. Maybe when I come back I'll bring presents.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Just back from my first visit to Halifax.
My favourite pubs were Maxwell's Plum and The Split Crow.
Great variety at Maxwells's including all Garrison, Propeller, and Pump House brews.
Beer cheap during the day only and some good food specials.
Split Crow has house brews John Shippey's, brewed by Garrison.
First time I ordered the Garrison IPA and John Shippey's IPA, the waitress warned me it was very hoppy
( just in case I was a Keith's drinker and die of shock )
These 2 IPAs were outstanding examples of American-style IPAs, with great aroma and huge hop bitterness.
What a shame we don't have one here ( Church Key comes closest )
Also visited Rogue's Roost ( OK ), The Henry House ( Granite and McAuslan brews ) and the Beer Market at The Lower Deck Pub ( Boo!, they only serve Keith's and Stella )

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

hopdevil wrote:Just back from my first visit to Halifax.
My favourite pubs were Maxwell's Plum and The Split Crow.
Great variety at Maxwells's including all Garrison, Propeller, and Pump House brews.
Beer cheap during the day only and some good food specials.
Split Crow has house brews John Shippey's, brewed by Garrison.
First time I ordered the Garrison IPA and John Shippey's IPA, the waitress warned me it was very hoppy
( just in case I was a Keith's drinker and die of shock )
These 2 IPAs were outstanding examples of American-style IPAs, with great aroma and huge hop bitterness.
What a shame we don't have one here ( Church Key comes closest )
Also visited Rogue's Roost ( OK ), The Henry House ( Granite and McAuslan brews ) and the Beer Market at The Lower Deck Pub ( Boo!, they only serve Keith's and Stella )
Was The Split Crow serving both a Garrison IPA and a Shippey's IPA? By all accounts I've heard from the brewer and other, the Shippey's IPA at the Crow and Garrison are the same thing - though for a short time after the actual Shippey's brewery closed it was Propeller IPA.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

It is Propeller who brews Shippey's....last time I checked anyway.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

According to bartender at The Split Crow, the John Shippey's Left Coast IPA is brewed by Garrison, with a small tweak in the recipe.
Only the John Shippey's was on tap at the Split Crow.
Great brew!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

hopdevil wrote:According to bartender at The Split Crow, the John Shippey's Left Coast IPA is brewed by Garrison, with a small tweak in the recipe.
Only the John Shippey's was on tap at the Split Crow.
Great brew!
Ah, I see. So you found the Garrison elsewhere. I'd say it's highly unlikely the recipe is actually tweaked just for the Split Crow. They couldn't do a whole batch just for the Crow, unless they're using the really small plastic fermenter that the first batch of the ImPA was done on, which isn't a fermenter at all really. So it's either the exact same thing or they blend a small amount of another beer with the ImPA in the kegs for the Crow so they can say it's different.

Propeller was brewing the Shippey's stuff when the Shippey's brewpub first closed. The owner of the Split Crow, though, is a shareholder in Garrison, and the father-in-law of Garrison's owner/president, and Garrison took it over perhaps a year or two after Shippey's closed.

Magni

Post by Magni »

My goal for next week will be to taste test and determine the difference between the Shippey's IPA and then the Garrison IPA.