Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good pubs in Seattle

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bestbitterman

Good pubs in Seattle

Post by bestbitterman »

Hi

I am off to Seattle next week on a business trip and was wondering where I can go to sample the west coast IPA's among other beers

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I went last year and can guarantee you'll have a great time. The Elysian Fields down by the Seahawks Stadium was my favourite bar in Seattle. You'll also want to check out the Pike Place Pub in the market for their IPA and XXXXX Stout. Sites like ratebeer and beeradvocate have decent listings of bars and reviews of them:

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Rob

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

another good list:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Maps/Metro-121.htm

edit: I know some people in Seattle who go to uber a lot, they say its their favourite. Definitely stop there.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Collins Pub on 2nd Avenue...excellent beer selection. Very good food as well.
Ask for the Boundary Bay IPA...

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Do not miss Brouwer's Cafe. Trust me. And if you see a big blond-haired bloke named Matt lurching around, tell him I said hello.

Any of the locations of Elysian Brewing are also highly recommended.

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

Thanks for the great tips...anyone know which has the greatest number of casks?

Cheers...looking forward to trying them all!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

So what happened on the trip? Where did you drink? Best beer?

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

Seattle actually was a beer drinkers paradise!

I visited:
The Stumbling Monk
The Elysian Brewing Company
Pike Market Brewpub
The Taphouse Grill

I preferred Taphouse and Elysian. Taphouse had 160 beers on tap, alot of which I have never seen on tap like Youngs Double Chocolate Stout which was awesome! I also tried a couple of 4 oz samplers. Excellent pub, I would highly recommend it. :D

The Elysian was also amazing and the pick of the bunch was their WISE ESB on cask. Great atmosphere...very artsy,Bohemian style.

On my walk to Elysian I found a great a little store that carries fine and rare imported bottles. I loaded up on my faves such as Fullers ESB, Youngs Special London Ale, Monkmans,OHanlons Ruby Stout. I had no idea that I could find this stuff outside of the UK! It is a bloody shame that we can't get these here.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

It's pretty much like Christmas every day..when you go to Seattle, Portland, northern California...
Good beers and no red tape. No restrictions. good to hear that it was a worthwhile trip.
I am sure that there will be a day when this happens in Ontario...not sure when...but someday....

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Any new recommendations in Seattle since this thread died down 6.5 years ago? I'm heading down on Monday for a conference and will be staying downtown, a stone's throw away from Pike Place.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bobsy wrote:Any new recommendations in Seattle since this thread died down 6.5 years ago? I'm heading down on Monday for a conference and will be staying downtown, a stone's throw away from Pike Place.
I noticed recently that Toronado just opened up their 3rd bar in Seattle. The draft list that I saw posted was almost as impressive as the ones at their San Francisco and San Diego locations.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

If you have time, check out the Brew Dogs episode on Seattle (from Season 1) it has a bunch of great spots (and they brew a caffeine beer on a boat).

A few spots from the episode:
Elysian
Pine Box
Pike Brewing
The Beer Junction
Bottleworks
Über Tavern
Beveridge Place Pub
Elliot Bay Brewery
Fremont Brewery
Big Time Brewery
Black Raven Brewing

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

There's a newish cider/craft beer bar opened up in the Capitol Hill area, http://www.capitolcider.com/. Just up the road from Pine Box, on 818 E Pike St. I went there just as it opened in July 2013. Good local and European ciders on draft and in bottle. Decent beer selection, and good food. Bottled ciders can be bought for take out at half the listed price.

If you're downtown, still pop your head into Tap House Grill (mentioned further above), 1506 6th Ave.

And there's a Rock Bottom just around the corner, 1333 5th Ave.

If you can't travel too much outside of downtown, you'll be more than happy with what's available close to Pike Place.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've never been to http://brouwerscafe.blogspot.ca/ but a trip up to there and bottleworks might be worthwhile.

I haven't been into bottleworks since they expanded/renovated and added a bunch of taps (years ago now). But they always had obscure brews as well as verticals of different things.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Oregon, but I really need to get back to Portland and Seattle.

And if you haven't seen that Brewdogs episode, I think you would really like it... lots of food science!
Last edited by Derek on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Brouwers is a cool place, except the patio when the sun is blazing down. Went there of a lunchtime and it was very, very quiet. And didn't meet any of the surly staff that people complain about.

The tap list at Bottleworks was pretty impressive. There was something soothing about walking around a bottle store with a glass of Sucuba in ones hand. It's easy to drop a crap load of money in there.

Need to get back to Seattle one day, too!