Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What to See/Do in Belgium

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

devonsleigh

What to See/Do in Belgium

Post by devonsleigh »

Hello everybody. In a few weeks I'll be travelling to Belgium for a few days with the GF. While she gets to gorge herself on les moules et frites, chocolat, and the belgian waffles, I intend to indulge myself in a few beers. Bier Circus and Delirium Cafe are already on the menu. I'd like to visit a monastery but given our rudimentary francais and non-existant dutch it might not be a good idea for us to navigate the backroads.

I'm just wondering for those that have been to Belgium what your experiences were and if there are any recommendations or things that we must see or do. I've done a search on Belgium threads but I get the 404 on every thread I click on that may have the 411.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Westvleteren. Bring us Westvleteren. I'll trade you one of my kidneys for a bottle. :lol:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bruges is nice. When I went to Belgium I ordered a photocopied beer guide that was extremely handy. Can't remember off the top of my head who wrote it, but I'm sure someone does.

Also, with the search if you delete the "&highlight=" and everything after it in the URL line it will work. It's a bug that's on my list to fix (it's been there a while, I know :-))

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I've said this before, but the town of Tongeren is beautiful and one of my favourite places on this planet. Not a beer haven, however. Bruges is recommended as well.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

Bruges sounds like an interesting day trip. We're only in Brussels for 3 days but from what I've researched the city is quite small and there isn't a whole lot to do. Is anyone aware of a tour operator that takes you on a afternoon "bier" tour? All the ones I found were week long adventures.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

if he doesn't reply, send biegaman a PM. he was in belgium last august and brought many good brews back with him (and sampled many more there).

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

I'd absolutely love to bring some bottles back but we're going to Paris after that and I don't think the gf would be amenable to lugging around 48 bottles of beer for the next week, she's quite petite. Is shipping even an option or will I have to do my own lab testing first?

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

devonsleigh wrote:I'd absolutely love to bring some bottles back but we're going to Paris after that and I don't think the gf would be amenable to lugging around 48 bottles of beer for the next week, she's quite petite. Is shipping even an option or will I have to do my own lab testing first?
You can't ship alcohol into the country. At least, you're not supposed to - with some smaller things (a bottle of single malt, etc.), you have a decent chance of getting it through, but I doubt a couple cases of beer would escape inspection. I remember a blog I ran across a couple years ago about two guys who brought back three cases of beer in their suitcases. IIRC, they ended up ditching most of their clothes in favour of bringing back Westvleteren. :P

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

devonsleigh wrote:I'd absolutely love to bring some bottles back but we're going to Paris after that and I don't think the gf would be amenable to lugging around 48 bottles of beer for the next week, she's quite petite. Is shipping even an option or will I have to do my own lab testing first?
shipping is pretty expensive and you will likely end up paying tax/duty/fees when it arrives. anything under 5 cases should not require lab testing.

how are you getting around? if you're driving/flying/hoteling you can easily have a box of beer sitting in your room that just goes in with the checked luggage. styrofoam shippers come in all shapes and sizes and work great for this.

if you're doing the backpack/train/hostel thing (or somewhere in between) it's obviously less of an option. still, you would probably find room for at least a few good beers. a sixer in each backpack is certainly manageable. you'll just have that much more to drink while you're there.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Have a blast, it's a really under-appreciated country. Brussels is great for shopping and eating, but once you've seen the Grande Place you can leave. Bruges is a most. It's touristy, but for a reason. Head off to Antwerp for a Kulminator visit. Take the train everywhere, one of the best and most affordable systems in Europe.

Magni

Post by Magni »

I advise just wandering around Brussels, hitting up all the beer establishments, a tour of Cantillon is worth the five euros, travel out to the outskirts on the subway and go walk around, find a nice pub/place to eat and enjoy the non-touristy brussels. Brugges is beautiful, Antwerp is fantastic, hosts a wonderful zoo and the Kulminator (aged. very aged beers) and a pretty good nightlife. It's a shame you wont be there in august for the Brussels carnival.
Touristy things to do in brussels... hmmm. make sure you check out the brewers museum, etc. eat frits. etc.
There is the atomium... Waterloo is worth the visit to see the battlefield (they make great beer too and you can get it at the heritage site) and make sure you have an umbrella, weather in belgium is unpredictable.
All in all, eat moules and frits, drink beer, sit on may a patio and do what belgians do. relax. Oh, and don't forget that you can drink on the street, it makes for excellent walks.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

I'd definitely make some room in my suitcase if I can secure some Westvleteren (a pair of underwear is good for 4 days, no?) or any other brew thats hard to get this side of the pond.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Great topic. I'm going to Bruges and Paris in a couple of weeks, too. Bruges is my reward for taking the wife to Paris. :lol: I'll keep my eyes peeled for Westvleteren.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:Have a blast, it's a really under-appreciated country. Brussels is great for shopping and eating, but once you've seen the Grande Place you can leave. Bruges is a most. It's touristy, but for a reason. Head off to Antwerp for a Kulminator visit. Take the train everywhere, one of the best and most affordable systems in Europe.
Magni wrote:I advise just wandering around Brussels, hitting up all the beer establishments (.....a billion other great ideas....).
This is fantastic stuff. I may go in August. and heed your suggestions.

devonsleigh you might even forget Westy, know why? I wasted over a whole day in Prague trying to refund cancelled REM tickets. Which was for naught BUT I learned something VERY valuable -- Use your time in Europe. Just be there. Shopping is a waste of time, and before you know it you will be on a plane home so don't miss any of it, see all you can every day while you are there.

I'm not suggesting "don't go to breweries if you are nearby", but it's my opinion that too much of chasing a shopping list of beer places may cause you to miss out on what your trip in Europe could really be. It's like when people go to ten disparate cities in two weeks, they spend all their time traveling or securing hotels - this is actually a common mistake & a real waste. Better to find places that 'stick' to you & hang around there a bit before moving on.

Oh and please buy RICK STEVES "BELGIUM 2008". Or I will buy it for you, because I am that certain you will have the time of your life with Rick's books.

* whew * passes out on couch hyperventilating * Have fun! Belgian out.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

As a tour book expert (self-proclaimned) I strongly recommend Rough Guides. Fantastic research, never did me wrong.