Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Ireland

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hamilton Brian

Beer in Ireland

Post by Hamilton Brian »

The family and I are heading over there this summer for 5 weeks; we're spending most of our time in the north for a wedding but will definitely be traveling around the rest of the island.

I searched ratebeer for beers to consume beyond the typical ones but really came up empty. So, aside from Guinness (because my f-i-l will insist on dragging me out for several pints and shots of whisky) what else would you recommend me trying?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I lived there for a good bit and, I hate to break it to you, but it's a beer wasteland. I had a "Beer in Ireland" book that I bought last year about the craft beer operations that were in their infancy, I'll check when I get home tonight.

Porterhouse in Dublin has some fantastic house brews (especially their stouts) as well as a good selection of imports, a must beer stop. Messrs McGuires (sp) on the South Side has some unremarkable house brews. Also, check off-licences for British ales we don't get in these parts (you'll also see alot of Eastern European lagers, it'll make you homesick!).

I'll post if I find that book.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Hamilton Brian wrote:So, aside from Guinness (because my f-i-l will insist on dragging me out for several pints and shots of whisky) what else would you recommend me trying?
You're going to Ireland to drink Guiness and scotch? :o I was going to recommend some 1798, but I see that the Dublin Brewing Company has closed shop; pity, they brewed good beer. You might find something by Porterhouse (http://www.porterhousebrewco.com) to your liking.

Do try some whiskey while you're there too, eh?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Hamilton Brian wrote:The family and I are heading over there this summer for 5 weeks; we're spending most of our time in the north for a wedding but will definitely be traveling around the rest of the island.

I searched ratebeer for beers to consume beyond the typical ones but really came up empty. So, aside from Guinness (because my f-i-l will insist on dragging me out for several pints and shots of whisky) what else would you recommend me trying?
Why not get a cheap RyanAir or EasyJet flight and head to the mainland. You could be in Liverpool within 30 minutes and hit the excellent dozen or so pubs over there. Or maybe do a trip to the Isle of Man and try some wonderful Okell beers.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:You could be in Liverpool within 30 minutes and hit the excellent dozen or so pubs over there.
Or Manchester...its like Liverpool, but nicer and with better football teams! :wink:

Seriously though, I don't remember much in the way of good beer when I was in Ireland. Its a fascinating place to visit, and you'll have a great time, but its not a huge beer destination. Now, whiskey and scotch is a different scenario altogether...
Last edited by Bobsy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:You could be in Liverpool within 30 minutes and hit the excellent dozen or so pubs over there.
Or Manchester...its like Liverpool, but nicer and with better football teams! :wink:

Seriously though, I don't remember much in the way of good beer when I was in England. Its a fascinating place to visit, and you'll have a great time, but its not a huge beer destination. Now, whiskey and scotch is a different scenario altogether...
I take it you're a Manc then, Bobsy? Are you really serious about there being no good beer?!?!?! I am astounding that you found it that way. What are you comparing it with and where did you go?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I think those suggestions, while fun, are probably more practical for single people of a childless couple...Brian did say he was travelling over with family. I'd assume that includes kids? If I were going to Ireland with my kids I doubt an extra trip over to England simply to grab some beer would be practical. I'm guessing you're looking for places in Ireland you can stop in amidst a family itinerary of holiday activities?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Seriously though, I don't remember much in the way of good beer when I was in England. Its a fascinating place to visit, and you'll have a great time, but its not a huge beer destination. Now, whiskey and scotch is a different scenario altogether...
I take it you're a Manc then, Bobsy? Are you really serious about there being no good beer?!?!?! I am astounding that you found it that way. What are you comparing it with and where did you go?
Sorry Toronto Blue...horrendous error. I meant to say Ireland not England. I'll correct that toute suite. There's definitely nothing wrong about British beer. In fact the last time I was over was in August, and I worked the Great British Beer Festival in London. It was like Heaven to be surrounded by all those casks. And yes, on the seventh day God created Manchester.

Jon - I see your point. I overlooked the family aspect. In that case, Beer Advocate has these places listed in Ireland: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/6/IE and I'm sure ratebeer has a good list also. I've found both these resources to be very good when I've been traveling. Also, even if you have to settle for a Guinness, there are some beautiful pubs there, where the atmosphere makes up somewhat for the beer selection.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bobsy wrote: And yes, on the seventh day God created Manchester.
Ugh. Hate to see what he'd been eating for the first six days! ;)

Make a stop at the Jameson's distillery in Dublin (or Bushmills up North), they do a good tour and do a nice taste comparison between scotch, burboun and Jamesons.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Jon Walker wrote:I think those suggestions, while fun, are probably more practical for single people of a childless couple...Brian did say he was travelling over with family. I'd assume that includes kids? If I were going to Ireland with my kids I doubt an extra trip over to England simply to grab some beer would be practical. I'm guessing you're looking for places in Ireland you can stop in amidst a family itinerary of holiday activities?
I'm sure the kids, no matter what age wouldn't mind going on another plane ride or taking the ferry across the Irish Sea to England. Why not make the trip over to England an extra holiday within the 5 week holiday already; a long weekend or something. The good thing with the UK, unlike over here, is that travelling by plane or boat is cheap. A return fare from Belfast to Liverpool or Manchester can be as low as ten quid each.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Torontoblue wrote: I'm sure the kids, no matter what age wouldn't mind going on another plane ride or taking the ferry across the Irish Sea to England.
Really depends upon the kids' ages. Mine are 4 and 16 months and I can assure you a trip within a trip, especially to seek out beer, is asking for trouble. It's a lot to ask little ones to make any kind of flight or lengthy voyage. Yes it's exciting for them (if they enjoy travel) but it reeks havoc on their sleep, eat and nap schedules. I should know, I took BOTH kids by myself to England to visit my parents this winter and, once there, the kids were loathe to even travel in the car for more than an hour (even to an indoor play centre)...it really reigned in the scope of what we could do.

So much of the itinerary has to be built around their needs that sometimes suggestions like this, while relatively easy for childless folks, are a real undertaking for those with young ones. Plus, a day trip with kids (no matter what age) to drink in pubs rather than do kid focused activities is both impractical and frankly rather derelict. I've spent a great deal of time in both Liverpool and Manchester and I can't possibly think of two more boring destinations for kids to go. So while the kids might enjoy a ferry they most likely won't enjoy the absence of activities for them inside the pubs of the north west.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Thanks all...the kids are 13 and 17 so a trip to Liverpool is definitely possible.

And I really meant whiskEy.

Thanks for the suggestions; the sentiment confirms what I was fearing. Maybe the assumed weight gain won't be a reality after all if I don't drink nearly as much as I thought I would.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I couldnt' find my book, but check out this link,

http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/index.p ... &Itemid=36

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Nova Scotia...Newfoundland...New Brunswick...spend your money at home....same accents...same crap food...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

esprit wrote:Nova Scotia...Newfoundland...New Brunswick...spend your money at home....same accents...same crap food...
Dude, you're obviously not a fan of seafood. I had the freshest, finest seafood of my life at a restaurant in Halifax.