Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vermont

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is exciting. Heading back on Monday for some skiing (and beer of course!)

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/BiteClub/arc ... room-opens
Prohibition Pig Brewery and Tasting Room Opens

After more than seven months of building, permitting, tweaking and final-touching, Prohibition Pig’s brewery and tasting room will open officially this Friday, December 26, Pro Pig owner Chad Rich told Seven Days via phone on Monday. But if you’re in Waterbury or nearby, there’s a pre-opening wet-run tonight — Monday, December 22 — from 4 to 10 p.m. Call it an early or late Christmas gift, depending on where you sit.

Rich and lead brewer Nate Johnson have been making beer on-site for about a year, using the old one-barrel system that John Kimmich used when the space housed the Alchemist. The new brewery — located in a historic former schoolhouse behind the original restaurant in downtown Waterbury — will increase brewing space from less than 1,000 square feet to more than 6,000. The brewery's tasting room is not directly connected to the restaurant, but is accessible via a separate entrance facing Elm Street.

Though Rich declined to give numbers, he called gut-renovating the old building — which involved jacking it up, putting in a new foundation and excavating a full basement — a “massive undertaking.”

But, he said, there was much to be gained. Moving the brewery not only expanded brewing capacity from one barrel to seven, with an annual output of about 1,100 barrels per year, but also freed up room for a new prep kitchen for the restaurant. When warmer weather hits, the tasting room will double in size, adding 50 seats of outdoor space between the pub and the brewery. “The brewery is so many things to the restaurant,” Rich said.

Most of the house beer will be sold at the brewery and the original pub, though Rich was quick to add that the main bar at Prohibition Pig would continue to showcase other Vermont beers, too. “We don’t want to be a brewpub,” the owner said. “More like a brewpub/taproom.” Tasting-room brews will be available in tastes, full pints and growlers to go. Rich also plans to do limited-run bottle releases — perhaps including the Pro Pig stout that is currently aging in old Pappy van Winkle barrels.

Along with beer and wine, the 49-seat bar/tasting room will offer a selection of simple snacks from Pro Pig chef Mike Werneke. “[The tasting room] is its own restaurant,” Rich said. On the menu? “Tacos will be a big part of it,” Rich said. (This had us jumping for joy, because Waterbury has lacked a good taco place since Mad Taco left the Blackback Pub this past June.) “Mike and the whole [kitchen] crew here love doing so many different things, so I’m leaving it to them to do what they want to do," Rich continued.

The owner said diners can expect typical Prohibition Pig offerings in taco form. Sumptuous smoked meats will lead the charge, backed up with somewhat lighter options. While the opening is imminent, Rich said the menu should sort itself out over the next month or so.

At the outset, the tasting room’s 10 draft lines will feature three house-brewed beers and seven brews from other local brewers. But in the next month — as the fermenters fill with a variety of brews — the brewery bar will become mostly dedicated to Pro Pig beers. “[Nate has done] close to 20 beers since he came on full-time,” Rich said. “You’ll see a lot of different beers coming through the pipeline.”

Starting Friday, the taproom will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Back from another few days in Waterbury for skiing. A grand time as usual. A few updates from the VT front:

Went to the new ProPig brewery, which is located directly behind the original restaurant, although there is no physical connection between the two. The new brewery is located in what looks to be a big old house, a very attractive place. The taproom is immediately within the front doors, with a wrap-around bar encircling the bar and brewery. The brewery (if I overheard correctly) is a 7 BBL system.

They were less than 1 week old when I visited, so things were still getting up and running. They had 8 beers on tap, and during the week saw the debut of their first new house beer (Simcoe Pale Ale). They also had one of their 'old brewery' beers along with a collab of theirs, plus some HF, Lost Nation and Lawson's. I believe the plan is to have most, if not all, of the taps here being their house brews when they get going. There's also going to be food here, but a different menu than the original ProPig. At my visit they had 2 types of tacos (pork + beef), hot dogs and chips & salsa/guac.

The new spot also has a larger and more accessible merch section, and as a nice touch you can come here to drink while you wait for a table at the main restaurant, and they'll come and get you when it's ready. There are no beer off sales at this point, but I'm sure likely to come when the brewery is at full capacity.

All told another amazing addition to the remarkable Waterbury scene. It's a cozy taproom and will probably only get more popular as people discover its existence. Looking forward to seeing what ProPig does from a beer perspective in the future.

One slight change in the Waterbury scene - the Blackback Pub & Flyshop is no longer the 'Flyshop' but now simply the Blackback Pub, as it changed ownership this year. Same basic concept though, although some of the decor is a bit more traditional a few tables have been added inside. The biggest change is with the food - the satellite Mad Taco is gone, and replaced with a full menu of their own. What remains of course is good beer, with 22 taps of mostly local. Here's a local news story on the ownership change:

http://www.stowetoday.com/waterbury_rec ... f887a.html

Got to a couple of new (to me) places on the trip as well. Up towards Stowe is the Crop Bistro & Brewery, which used to be the Shed. Nice place, with a casual pub area and more formal dining area. About 8 beers of their own on tap, as well as bottles and growlers to go. Nice range of beers available and was a good stop post-skiing at Stowe. Will definitely go back.

Down in Waitsfield I always wanted to try out the "main" Mad Taco and I was able to do that this time. A nice place, a super-casual restaurant with counter ordering for their tacos and burritos. There's a bar there too, with about 8 beers on tap. Really tasty tacos and also makes for a great spot apres-ski.

Some other notes from the trip...the Heady Topper/HF/Lawson's frenzy continues its (IMO) irrational frenzy in the state. The pursuit of the beers is so well-known that I overheard people asking for the beers at stores, even though I don't even think people understand what they're after. At my B&B I noticed at least two groups who looked like they were there solely for beer hunting, loading up their cars with cases upon departure. Every drop at retail is gobbled up, even though their beers are plentiful at bars. Even the Legion in Waterbury has Heady for $5 a can!

That leads me to a minor quibble about the scene right now. I get that one of Vermont's main industries is tourism and bars and restaurants want to appeal to visitors. But with Heady/HF/Lawson's so common at bars, I hate to say this but I was getting a bit tired of seeing Sip of Sunshine and the same Hill Farmsteads on at every single place. I would have liked to have some of the newer/different VT brewers available - Burlington Beer, 4 Quarters, Foley Brothers, Queen City, etc. I know I'm talking crazy not wanting to have the beers that everyone wants, but a bit more diversity reflective of the growing beer scene, and spreading the exposure around to some of the other players would be nice. That being said, the Reservoir in Waterbury gets major props for doing exactly what I'm talking about, as they had a nice diverse tap lineup this time around with a number of the newer breweries available to try.

On the plus side though, it means that its easy to walk into a store and pick up off the shelf anything from the newer breweries, without lineups or headaches! :)

All told another great week in VT - drove down this time around in the winter and it was just fine. Hope some folks can get down there to try things out.

Here are a couple of links with 2014 year-in-review beer wrap-ups - good to read to know some of the newer players.

http://www.vtbeer.org/2014/12/28/2014-y ... er-review/

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/BiteClub/arc ... for-vtbeer

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Any tips on places to stay for a ski/beer trip in early march? I've been to killington/okemo a lot in previous years and was thinking of making that my main snowboarding spot and then taking a day to go to Waterbury/hill farmstead area and staying overnight there one night. For those that have been to both, how does Stowe compare? The lodging in Stowe seems to be really expensive comparatively, but it has the advantage of being closer to the beer!

This would be a 5 day trip with two travel days, so just 3 days in vt.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

ckoop wrote:Any tips on places to stay for a ski/beer trip in early march? I've been to killington/okemo a lot in previous years and was thinking of making that my main snowboarding spot and then taking a day to go to Waterbury/hill farmstead area and staying overnight there one night. For those that have been to both, how does Stowe compare? The lodging in Stowe seems to be really expensive comparatively, but it has the advantage of being closer to the beer!

This would be a 5 day trip with two travel days, so just 3 days in vt.
Personally I would stay at the Old Stagecoach B&B in Waterbury, where you are within walking distance of ProPig and a bunch of other top-notch beer spots.

From a boarding perspective this also puts you equidistant between Stowe & Sugarbush, so you can pick what's best based upon conditions. Mad River Glen is also near Sugarbush but they don't allow boarding.

I was at Stowe a week ago (and before that a couple of years ago), and it's nice but quite expensive and busy due to its popularity. Both Stowe & SB have over 100+ trails and I like them both and usually choose b/t the two depending on day of week & who (if) got snow.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Thanks! I will check that B&B out.

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

I won the a bottle of Ann from Hill Farmstead to be picked up on Saturday February 7th.

Checked the stage coach but they are booked.

Here's my plan:

I'll be driving down from Toronto Thursday morning/night probably spending the night in Burlington. I've never been to Burlington but farmhouse tavern looks pretty cool. any other recommendations?

If there is snow Ski Friday...

I'm looking for advice for Friday night as I will need to be at HF around 930-10AM on Saturday.

After I get my HF haul i'll be heading up to Montreal for dinner.

Back to Hogtown Sunday AM.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Congrats on the Ann!

Friday night try the Rogers Country Inn in Glover off Shadow Lake. They might already be booked up but it's a nice, rustic little BnB and the price is pretty damned good.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

Just got back from a great trip: 2 nights in Vermont and 1 in Montreal.

Day 1 - Toronto, ON to Burlington, VT

Left Toronto at 630AM got to Burlington at 1PM first stop Winooski Beverage Center looking for heady topper to no avail; the guys said there is a constant morning lineup and they sell out within 30 minutes of opening. Lawsons is even worse because the delivery times are variable and was told to check fb for availability.

Checked into our hotel: Vermont Hotel. The hotel is new and very boutique; comparable to W Hotel centrally located in Burlington.

Farmhouse Tavern for lunch; great place a few HF on tap. We had Excursion #2, Edward, Evil Twin Yuzu Brett, Stone Xocoveza. Got a tip to hit another burlington store *North within walking distance and picked up our allotment of 2x 4 packs of Heady topper.

Had a heady topper then napped hard.

Dined at Hen of the Woods located next door to the hotel. Awesome meal with Fable Farm cider and Backacre beers. Pretty much the highlight of our trip.

Night cap at the hotel bar called Juniper: HF Edward and Lawson's Sip of Sunshine around the fireplace playing backgammon.

Day 2 - Burlington to Waterbury

Maglianero for a quick latte, bagel at Myers and wandered around the Burton flagship store. Tanked up and found Heady Topper readily available just outside of the Burlington core so I grabbed another 4 pack.

Arrived in Waterbury and went to the beer cellar and grabbed a few misc. anchorage; they also had HT but I didn't grab any.

Lunch at Blackback; great mac and cheese and pot pie. Super nice staff, the chef even came out to see if we were enjoying it. Half Dozen HF on tap.

Checked into Best Western Plus about a mile out of downtown Waterbury; hen of the woods is across the street. We went straight back out to Waterbury by hitch hiking into town.

Arrived at Resevoir; this was my least favorite bar in Waterbury.

Went to Prohibition Pig for dinner really good BBQ. Drank some 3F, IPAs and then its started to get blurry... Blackback something something, hitch hiked home.

Day 3 - Waterbury to HF to Montreal

Were the first 5 people in line at HF for 10AM; the staff let us wait in line inside thankfully as it was -30. I'm telling you get there first; HF growler fill limit is 5 each and the line moves slow if you come at 12PM when they scheduled to open you would have to wait 3 hours. We were out of HF by 1130AM with 3 growlers and 3 cases of beer + ANN!.

Hit Parker Pie for lunch; good pie and tap list but at this point I couldn't down another hoppy beer from the night before. The take away beer selection was the poorest I've ever seen as it was probably picked through for the past couple days of winners of the Ann lottery.

Border was a breeze as we were in the US for 48 hours.

Got to Montreal around 3PM and checked into our hotel Kutuma; it's a trip all done up like african lion safari cheetai print everything.... No elevator we had to hand balm 5 cases of beer and luggage up 4 floors.

Went to Vices and Versa for their 11th Anniversary party. Had all the Dunham beers; those guys are stepping it up! nice and funky saisons. the tap list was ridiculous...

Le Bremner for dinner; delicious cocktails, seafood, and wine. Some notables salmon tartare with shisito peppers and pot de creme dessert.

Another SOS, then much needed sleep.

SOS is better than HT in my opinion.

Day 4

Left Montreal at 630AM and got home 200PM; the winter driving sucked.

[/img]

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Thanks for the report! I think you got lucky at the border, since the allotment is a case of beer per person and it sounds like you would've had at least double that (just based on your report that you had 36 750ml of hf, 3 growlers, + misl heady etc)? I'm just trying to plan my trip there beer buying wise and was thinking the only way not to get dinged too bad at the border was to set up some trades while there and ship them out before crossing the border.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the update. Looks like I'm heading back to Burlington for the long weekend for a last shot of skiing (and of course beer).

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ckoop wrote:Thanks for the report! I think you got lucky at the border, since the allotment is a case of beer per person and it sounds like you would've had at least double that (just based on your report that you had 36 750ml of hf, 3 growlers, + misl heady etc)? I'm just trying to plan my trip there beer buying wise and was thinking the only way not to get dinged too bad at the border was to set up some trades while there and ship them out before crossing the border.
Not to mention that it sounds like he crossed back in to Canada through Quebec, which apparently has a very strict 1 case per person limit even if you are paying duty (so assume he'd get his one case exemption plus an additional case). It's a far cry from the 45L that Ontario allows us.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
ckoop wrote:Thanks for the report! I think you got lucky at the border, since the allotment is a case of beer per person and it sounds like you would've had at least double that (just based on your report that you had 36 750ml of hf, 3 growlers, + misl heady etc)? I'm just trying to plan my trip there beer buying wise and was thinking the only way not to get dinged too bad at the border was to set up some trades while there and ship them out before crossing the border.
Not to mention that it sounds like he crossed back in to Canada through Quebec, which apparently has a very strict 1 case per person limit even if you are paying duty (so assume he'd get his one case exemption plus an additional case). It's a far cry from the 45L that Ontario allows us.
I thought the allotment thing was a federal rule, not a provincial one?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
I thought the allotment thing was a federal rule, not a provincial one?
It is provincial. It is a fairly common practice for Quebec guys to either divert their route home through Ontario or to severely limit what they pick up on trips to VT for this reason.

I am not up-to-date on all of the provincial limits, but I am fairly certain that Manitoba is the only one that does not impose a limit.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

No limit in MB. ON, NB and BC are 45. The rest are 9, which is not a lot at all.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm- ... -6-eng.pdf

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Another nice weekend in Vermont for some skiing.

Not much new to report on the Burlington front, save for some accommodation news. There's a new hotel that opened up right downtown, a Hilton Garden Inn on Main Street at St Paul.

According to what I've read in Seven Days, the property used to be the Burlington Armory, and was then a music venue in the 70s and 80s, and then a 50s theme club which closed in '03. It's been vacant ever since, but now transformed into the hotel.

It's quite nice, with some accents that make it less chain-y, such as weathered wooden floors and that kind of thing. It's literally a half a block from the American Flatbread, so for my money is even more convenient than the Hilton or Courtyard on the waterfront, especially when its wicked cold like this weekend.