Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vermont

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

We are at a b&b in Stowe. First time there, and it seems uber exists in stowe/waterbury now.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Make sure you hit up pro pig. The beer cellar right beside it is a great bottle shop. There's a bar right across the street whose name I completely forget that has a ridiculous tap list and almost always has focal and cool one offs.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

jeremyg wrote:Make sure you hit up pro pig. The beer cellar right beside it is a great bottle shop. There's a bar right across the street whose name I completely forget that has a ridiculous tap list and almost always has focal and cool one offs.
The BlackBack Pub? Usually has like 7 HF and a couple Alchemist brews on tap.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'll second the ProPig brewed stuff as well.

If you can find fresh Limited Access by Rock Art it's quite good - prefer it to the 14th Star stuff myself.

A couple of my VT friends are recommending Foam Brewers in Burlington as well - they've just started up in the last couple weeks.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

really enjoyed tribute iipa when I was last there.

if you need more heady on monday, route 7 liquor just south of burlington (minutes south) has cases and must get a lot because I was able to pick up a case on a tuesday afternoon following their monday delivery.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Awesome thanks for the tip on Foam. I should look out for that 14th star DIPA, I kinda wrote them off at first but I keep hearing otherwise. So many good breweries out that way.

I've also heard about hermit thrush making sour's in cans. Curious if anyone has had it here.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Craig wrote:
jeremyg wrote:Make sure you hit up pro pig. The beer cellar right beside it is a great bottle shop. There's a bar right across the street whose name I completely forget that has a ridiculous tap list and almost always has focal and cool one offs.
The BlackBack Pub? Usually has like 7 HF and a couple Alchemist brews on tap.
that's the one

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

ckoop wrote:really enjoyed tribute iipa when I was last there.

if you need more heady on monday, route 7 liquor just south of burlington (minutes south) has cases and must get a lot because I was able to pick up a case on a tuesday afternoon following their monday delivery.
yeah tribute is fantastic

foley bros fair maiden is amazing too. kind of a different profile for a VT brew.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Are there any decent bars/shops in or near Smuggler's Notch? Wife, kid and I are booked in at a resort with water slides and stuff for a few days. I plan on driving to Stowe and Waterbury but am wondering if there are any decent bars or shops that are walkable within Smuggler's.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Ceecee wrote:Are there any decent bars/shops in or near Smuggler's Notch? Wife, kid and I are booked in at a resort with water slides and stuff for a few days. I plan on driving to Stowe and Waterbury but am wondering if there are any decent bars or shops that are walkable within Smuggler's.
don't believe so. SN is pretty isolated. just whatever restaraunt/bars there might be at the lodge itself.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Is there a taxi company in Waterbury? Someone above mentioned Uber. Is there actually Uber around there? Thinking of staying one night at the Best Western up the hill, but want to get to/From the bars in Waterbury.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

rejtable wrote:Is there a taxi company in Waterbury? Someone above mentioned Uber. Is there actually Uber around there? Thinking of staying one night at the Best Western up the hill, but want to get to/From the bars in Waterbury.
Save your money for beer and walk it.
I did that walk...easy from Best West, straight down Stowe St, no turns...can do it drunk, just the intersection at the hotel is the only dangerous bit. It's a bit dark, and a little steep coming back, but very doable walk. It was cold, wintery and icy when I did it. About 20 minutes, straight down to Reservoir, Pro Pig, Blackback, etc.

But if you're lazier than I am, yes there are plentiful taxi's in town.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

El Pinguino wrote:
rejtable wrote:Is there a taxi company in Waterbury? Someone above mentioned Uber. Is there actually Uber around there? Thinking of staying one night at the Best Western up the hill, but want to get to/From the bars in Waterbury.
Save your money for beer and walk it.
I did that walk...easy from Best West, straight down Stowe St, no turns...can do it drunk, just the intersection at the hotel is the only dangerous bit. It's a bit dark, and a little steep coming back, but very doable walk. It was cold, wintery and icy when I did it. About 20 minutes, straight down to Reservoir, Pro Pig, Blackback, etc.

But if you're lazier than I am, yes there are plentiful taxi's in town.
Agreed. I have done that walk many times and second that it is an easy walk even if you are drunk. I have never noticed a taxi in Waterbury and last I was there, Uber did not work (it does in Burlington however).

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Reporting back

Heady was everywhere, we turned down 4 packs constantly. We even walked into Hunger Mountain and they had like 15 cases on a Sunday. SOS lasts a big longer, still moves quick. Frost is the new hot brewery, their DIPA Lush sold out in an hour at Bev mart. We ended up grabbing a bottle at CBC waterbury, since it seems it was hidden in a weird place.

Black back pub was the best bar of the trip, lots of gems on tap (including a dry hopped lush) and the dude who owns the place was the best guy.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

I had a similar experience. The owner and bartender at Black Back were great. Definitely my favorite spot in town.