Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vermont

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

DeMarco wrote:I really should have kept the receipt but I looked up all the codes after and wondered why it was so high. It was all 3 (Duty, HST and a Provincial Mark-Up). I believe I was screwed on the duty as I definitely didn't have over a hectolitre of beer. Looking back on it now I can see where they may have thought the 32oz growler was more then it should have been. I think I was charged close to 40 or 50 for duty plus the HST and Provincial markup.

Thanks for that article cass, I'll double check my receipts for next time.
Where they often screw up is entering the volume, which is the largest portion of the total duty (the HST is 13% of the cost and the remainder is volume-driven). Since they enter it in to their system in hectolitres, it is fairly common for them to mess up the conversion. Or, it could just be a simple error of misunderstanding the total volume that you have, which has happened to me before as well.

At least you now know for next time.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Incase anybody is going in the next few months and staying in Waterbury: http://www.localvoretoday.com/deals/the ... e-offer-5/

Pizza's are fairly good and they have a good tap list - not at Pro Pig levels but they're usually good for a Hill and another VT tap at any given time.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Can anyone recommend some good tent camping places or parks near Burlington or Waterbury areas? Little River State Park looks to be a possibility, if anyone has been there?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

El Pinguino wrote:Can anyone recommend some good tent camping places or parks near Burlington or Waterbury areas? Little River State Park looks to be a possibility, if anyone has been there?
I haven't been, but I always thought it would be cool to camp here as you could walk to all the downtown bars in Burlington:

http://enjoyburlington.com/

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/North+ ... 34d2bafa85

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

anyone else get tickets to the Hill Farmstead thing?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Cass wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:Can anyone recommend some good tent camping places or parks near Burlington or Waterbury areas? Little River State Park looks to be a possibility, if anyone has been there?
I haven't been, but I always thought it would be cool to camp here as you could walk to all the downtown bars in Burlington:

http://enjoyburlington.com/

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/North+ ... 34d2bafa85
Cheers Cass...that looks like a good option for exploring Burlington. Saved it for future planning. Cheaper than a hotel for sure...but at $36/night for a basic campsite, not "camp" cheap.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:Incase anybody is going in the next few months and staying in Waterbury: http://www.localvoretoday.com/deals/the ... e-offer-5/

Pizza's are fairly good and they have a good tap list - not at Pro Pig levels but they're usually good for a Hill and another VT tap at any given time.
I would say that the pizza there is awesome! This has become my late night Waterbury stop. In recent visits they have always had one HF tap pouring (Susan and Cascade the past two times) and usually have cans of Heady and Sip as well.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Returned from VT earlier in the week. Had a fairly good trip.

Parker Pie's has somehow gotten even better. My Localvore pizza from Blue Stone in Waterbury was excellent (see a couple posts above and sign up for Localvore!). Willey's store in Greensboro itself had some surprises: bottles of Coffee and Vanilla barrel aged Framinghammer as well as Hill's "shelf" saison's. The wait for Hill's bottles was non-existant even with a CD14 release.

It's crazy the number of breweries that have popped up in the state over the last couple years, and how BUSY the stores and breweries can be even mid-week with beer tourists. Fiddlehead's and Lost Nation's stuff is extremely popular, and 4 Quarters and Hermit Thrush are up and coming (The 4 Quarters stuff I had - 2 Maple Barrel aged stouts - were Alchemist-level good). 14th Star and Foley Brothers are making some good hoppy stuff as well.

Ended up with no Hill growlers or Heady cans (Lineups for both were insane with the Heady lineup starting 90 minutes BEFORE delivery time) but even skipping on those I had a few really good finds, including more than a few cans of Sip of Sunshine and a bottle of Backacre.

Only downside was my car getting searched at Prescott on the way back. Added a good 40 minutes to my trip (they even searched my phone and iPad) and as a result I ended up driving back with evening construction in full swing on the 401.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:and a bottle of Backacre.
Where did you manage to find that? It's an amazing beer and is almost impossible to find at the retail level.

sprague11 wrote: Only downside was my car getting searched at Prescott on the way back. Added a good 40 minutes to my trip (they even searched my phone and iPad) and as a result I ended up driving back with evening construction in full swing on the 401.
That's a new one! What were they looking for on your phone/ipad?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Where did you manage to find that? It's an amazing beer and is almost impossible to find at the retail level.
Meditrina in Chester VT.

TheSevenDuffs wrote: That's a new one! What were they looking for on your phone/ipad?
No idea - links to organized crime? A source for bootleg smokes? Nudes? The only thing more boring than my posts here is the content on my ipad and cellphone. When they asked what the purpose of my trip was and I said Beer that was enough to get called in. Still didn't pay a cent of tax despite being over.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

might be heading to Vermont in august with a couple buddies for a weekend. i am absurdly excited.

going with a friend who has a cousin that lives there who said he'd grab and put aside some heady and lawson's double sunshine for us in exchange for some bellwoods brews :D

what are a couple must hit up bars? driving up fri and coming back sunday so i doubt we'll have a ton of time to hit up everywhere we'd (I'D) like. figure hitting a couple bars would be the best way to do some serious sampling.

want to hit up crop bisto and hills obviously, what other breweries are must-visit?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Lost Nation in Morrisville is worth a visit. Ditto Fiddlehead in Shelburne.

As for bars: Three Penny in Montpelier, Farmhouse in Burlington, or any of the big bars in Waterbury. If you're staying in Waterbury or not having to drive afterwards it's probably easier to wander between the 4 or 5 good spots (Blackback, Pro Pig, Resevoir, Blue Stone).

If you're spending some time up by Hill, Parker Pie will have the most Hill's on tap of anywhere in the State. Positive Pie in Hardwick might be worth checking out, especially if they've had a Hill tasting recently.

With our dollar in a free fall (Rant for another board) I'd say load up on growlers and bottles where possible.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

sprague11 wrote:Lost Nation in Morrisville is worth a visit. Ditto Fiddlehead in Shelburne.

As for bars: Three Penny in Montpelier, Farmhouse in Burlington, or any of the big bars in Waterbury. If you're staying in Waterbury or not having to drive afterwards it's probably easier to wander between the 4 or 5 good spots (Blackback, Pro Pig, Resevoir, Blue Stone).

If you're spending some time up by Hill, Parker Pie will have the most Hill's on tap of anywhere in the State. Positive Pie in Hardwick might be worth checking out, especially if they've had a Hill tasting recently.

With our dollar in a free fall (Rant for another board) I'd say load up on growlers and bottles where possible.
thanks dude!

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I definitely regret not buying a growler at HF.

I also second lost nation. Especially for a lunch spot.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

is burlington beer company any good? my friend is insisting we got there.